Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 132 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I've never actually considered this for the house.

Do they all have to be the same company? As I recall from a while back (and info may be outdated) there is no single standard...so each switch could be a different company and may not mate with others propertly?

Good ol Kevin has switches and lights in this house I still don't know how to turn them on, or what they do after 2 years. I've got 2 lights at the driveway...no clue how to turn them on.

I have a mix…Genii and these Costco ones. From what I see some manufacturers can all be controlled by a common app but some are outliers. Haven’t looked into amalgamating them all. I can deal with two apps.

Not my house ,my friggin YC bar . The coffee machine crapped out so I order a 110/220 v machine thinking I’ll hook it up 110. Well if needs 10 g wire and a 30amp breaker on 110. Electrician shows up , there is a BX cable with 12 g in it and it’s a kitchen split outlet !! Hook will be minutes not hours and not hundreds pulling lines .
And before somebody says , you can hook that up…. Yes I could , but not in a commercial kitchen . Gas pipes , electrical and plumbing all get trades man . 30 yrs ago it was all volunteers, liability changed all that fun

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I have a mix…Genii and these Costco ones. From what I see some manufacturers can all be controlled by a common app but some are outliers. Haven’t looked into amalgamating them all. I can deal with two apps.
If you have a smart speaker you can see if they all hub with that.
I have an Amazon Echo (Alexa) in each room, garage, deck and they have good hubs that connect with every other wifi device in the house including switches. Can avoid using apps and just use voice commands.

Not my house ,my friggin YC bar . The coffee machine crapped out so I order a 110/220 v machine thinking I’ll hook it up 110. Well if needs 10 g wire and a 30amp breaker on 110. Electrician shows up , there is a BX cable with 12 g in it and it’s a kitchen split outlet !! Hook will be minutes not hours and not hundreds pulling lines .
And before somebody says , you can hook that up…. Yes I could , but not in a commercial kitchen . Gas pipes , electrical and plumbing all get trades man . 30 yrs ago it was all volunteers, liability changed all that fun

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
If it's on a split 12 ga line why can't you hook it up at 220? Does code require a dedicated circuit for the coffee maker or just the manufacturer? What broke on the old one?

If you have a smart speaker you can see if they all hub with that.
I have an Amazon Echo (Alexa) in each room, garage, deck and they have good hubs that connect with every other wifi device in the house including switches. Can avoid using apps and just use voice commands.
I'll assume you love the Amazon Echo then? I'm debating b/w that and the Google one.

Am I being paranoid by having too much of these types of 'listening' devices in the house?

I'll assume you love the Amazon Echo then? I'm debating b/w that and the Google one.

Am I being paranoid by having too much of these types of 'listening' devices in the house?
They all listen but so does my phone amd that is very often near me. Google probably knows everything already. Amazon knows a lot less about my life.

I have a echo in every room and a mix or smart devices all controlled by the echos. Being able to say Alexa goodnight and have everything shut off is priceless. Our cameras also turn on select lights when they detect motion through the Alexa. Also makes a great intercom as you can make announcements açcross all devices.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I have a echo in every room and a mix or smart devices all controlled by the echos. Being able to say Alexa goodnight and have everything shut off is priceless. Our cameras also turn on select lights when they detect motion through the Alexa. Also makes a great intercom as you can make announcements açcross all devices.

Do you listen to music on them? Do you have at least one of each? Do any sound any good?

Yes music or radio they sound fine you can get different sound quality one the studio is the best but expensive. Imho they all sound ok and you can play the same music on all at once if you want.

Yes music or radio they sound fine you can get different sound quality one the studio is the best but expensive. Imho they all sound ok and you can play the same music on all at once if you want.

Agreed. We use the the latest Gen Echo’s and they sound great and get quite loud. 1 in a average size bedroom is plenty. We have 2 on our deck and can hear them clearly and loudly 200ft away at the back of the yard.
Edit: to add about sound quality, these ones sound 90% as good as the current comparable Sonos One’s they replaced ($249 each) and you can buy the Echo’s when they go on sale for $99 each.

Last edited:
34492621-6051-4215-9D5A-18CFF81D4E4A.jpeg
Two Echo’s mounted inside down on mounts on ceiling of covered deck (just barely visible above Muskoka chairs). Half volume they’re plenty loud/clear this far away. If we had neighbours they’d likely know all my favourite Taylor Swift songs by now.

Three man crew showed up Monday morning... By Wednesday afternoon they'd replaced all my windows... 27 of them.
Everything from little 2'x3' laundry room windows to six foot tall palladiums. 'Even a hexagonal two stories up in a foyer.
I know... I know... 'Not really what "I'm" doing to the house, but I did have my wife make them coffee/tea and snacks.
'Spendy project, but over due... Previous windows were past their prime that's for sure

Three man crew showed up Monday morning... By Wednesday afternoon they'd replaced all my windows... 27 of them.
Everything from little 2'x3' laundry room windows to six foot tall palladiums. 'Even a hexagonal two stories up in a foyer.
I know... I know... 'Not really what "I'm" doing to the house, but I did have my wife make them coffee/tea and snacks.
'Spendy project, but over due... Previous windows were past their prime that's for sure

Is there some energy rebate thing for these still going on?

I pray you didn't hire qsi.

Is there some energy rebate thing for these still going on?
Last I checked it became way more convoluted then before. Before it was 'buy a new furnace, here's your cheque'

Now, from what I understand.

Minimum of 3 upgrades simultaneously:
- get energy audit
- perform upgrades
- get energy audit to confirm work
- get cheque

That's as I understand it...but it's been a few years and I decided I'm not doing 3 upgrades for a 'possible' refund.

Smart rebate? Anyone about this? I've been getting a few calls about them doing a home audit, but it seems like a scam.

Back
Top Bottom