Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 134 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

No.
It lifts the lid, turns on a nightlight, washes your butt, dries it, deodorizes the smell, flushes itself, and closes the lid.
There's also an enema mode, that I haven't dared to try yet.

Enema mode? You sure the toilet isn’t from Mossad?

Enema mode? You sure the toilet isn’t from Mossad?
Must be the translation from Korean.
In another spot it's called "Turbo wash" which doesn't sound much better.

Must be the translation from Korean.
In another spot it's called "Turbo wash" which doesn't sound much better.
At a Korean hotel, trying to figure out which button did what was a shall we say interesting experience. Outside of tourist hell so no english anywhere, just press a button and hope for the best.

So started planning out a kitchen. Prices look good on the IKEA site and there’s a decent espresso colour scheme which we like.

Issue: every ******* thing we like is out of stock or “now or never” status that doesn’t really scream “confidence” at me if we are missing a cabinet/front/interior part.

Some US reviews are very discouraging stating that now is not the time to remodel a kitchen especially with IKEA kitchens as the cabinet availability seems stymied by the global supply chain issues particularly related to things like MDF etc.

Bummer.

For Ikea, the value has always looked pretty good on cabinets. On assembly you can also add some glue in places to make them a little more solid (same for the furniture and pretty much all flat pack).

There was a big sale a while back and we almost pulled the trigger, what stopped us...you cannot get a cabinet (the box) and doors the same colour for any of the wood tones, sort of close but no match (almost looks like a match online BTW). They sell cover panels for the exposed sides that match the doors to hide this. Looks good with all the cover panels and the doors closed, open a door and it screams cheap as it does not match. If they could match them up they would look like custom built cabinets with some minor mods. Basically they have dark wood tone cabinets and dark wood tone doors but not the same colour--that is just dumb! Even worse, dark wood tone with white boxes...

Not as much of a problem if you are going all white including doors. they will match close enough.

Not as much of a problem if you are going all white

Q8id8T0.gif

Cleaned out the eaves and installed some lights….the clips they came with are garbage so going to redo it….damnit.

35BCBB75-C142-4767-875B-512A973011A0.jpeg
E9BA910B-3110-4023-A3A3-520AE09E975B.jpeg

Cleaned out the eaves and installed some lights….the clips they came with are garbage so going to redo it….damnit.

View attachment 52261
View attachment 52260

Crappy Tire has some Noma clips that are awesome. Each clip has about 4 different ways to use them.

Home Depot has ready assembled cabinets for the kitchen. Hampton Bay brand. The prices don’t look outrageous and they appear to be in stock too. Might look at these.

For Ikea, the value has always looked pretty good on cabinets. On assembly you can also add some glue in places to make them a little more solid (same for the furniture and pretty much all flat pack).

There was a big sale a while back and we almost pulled the trigger, what stopped us...you cannot get a cabinet (the box) and doors the same colour for any of the wood tones, sort of close but no match (almost looks like a match online BTW). They sell cover panels for the exposed sides that match the doors to hide this. Looks good with all the cover panels and the doors closed, open a door and it screams cheap as it does not match. If they could match them up they would look like custom built cabinets with some minor mods. Basically they have dark wood tone cabinets and dark wood tone doors but not the same colour--that is just dumb! Even worse, dark wood tone with white boxes...

Not as much of a problem if you are going all white including doors. they will match close enough.
There are companies that repaint Ikea stuff so it doesn't scream "IKEA". Adds to the cost and delay. Non returnable if you ordered wrong. Durability ????

Know anyone with a body shop? My cousin wanted a coloured refrigerator when the only option was white. Her hubby took the old one to a friend's body shop and had it painted. She didn't clean it any more She Simonized it.

There are at least two Ikea whites. The boxes are one and the doors another.

Need the collective GTAM brain power here….

Got over a decade of leaves and needles at the cottage from yard cleanups throughout the years…how the eff do I get rid of it?

Can’t burn it as the neighbours will complain about the thick and white smoke into their houses…
View attachment 52248

Chipper? Shredder? Bags? Or burn it at night?
If it took ten years to accumulate it'll take as long to dissipate normally. Do you want to know what's under it?

In my experience if someone calls you to sell you something (rebates, credits, etc.) it's typically a scam. Typically.

Speaking of scams, just got a call from the City of Mississauga regarding my question about enlarging any windows....vertically or horizontally.

Need the following for every application:
- structural drawing (may or may not require an engineering stamp)
- site plan
- elevation plan

If I didn't have that stupid neighbour next door I'd have 3 larger windows already.
It may not be a problem for you if you enlarge windows but your house has sand lime brick and they stopped making them years ago. If you need replacement bricks a matching product will be hard to find. Fill ins could stand out.

It may not be a problem for you if you enlarge windows but your house has sand lime brick and they stopped making them years ago. If you need replacement bricks a matching product will be hard to find. Fill ins could stand out.
Plan is to put siding around the entire house.

1. Remove chimney
2. Replace / enlarge windows
3. Possibly addition (maybe)
4. Siding

Those are the big plans so I’m not worried about the brick not matching as they’ll be covered up anyway long term. I’m not a fan of our grey brick…if it was red I’d love it.

Woke up this am. Turned the tap on. Water pissing out every direction, but down.
Shut the main off.
Got a new faucet, flex lines, etc. Soldered everything up. Tested. No leaks.
Real treat. Working, stuffed under and into a cabinet at my age on a sunday.

Patching holes in the plaster from the electrical.... When they built the house (1941) they dumped their leftover crap in the ceiling cavities etc., including a bunch of Rocklath plaster board.... Well they saved me buying plaster board!

Woke up this am. Turned the tap on. Water pissing out every direction, but down.
Shut the main off.
Got a new faucet, flex lines, etc. Soldered everything up. Tested. No leaks.
Real treat. Working, stuffed under and into a cabinet at my age on a sunday.
You forgot the best part. Trying to work between the wall and the back of the sink while corroded faucet rust falls in your eyes.

You forgot the best part. Trying to work between the wall and the back of the sink while corroded faucet rust falls in your eyes.
That woulda been a different level of nightmare.
Pipes simply come up inside the rear of the cabinet.
Cut. Take a break. Extend. Take a break. + ½" threaded things. break. Twist on ½" flex cables. Break. Clean up. Watch football.

Back
Top Bottom