Elephant in the Covid room | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elephant in the Covid room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Not sure if i am crossing a line here or not. Peel region and Mississauga are obviously big problems with the spread of infection. "Lockdowns" haven't done very much.
Some of the neighborhoods in those two regions are very racialized. I haven't seen any numbers pointing to one community versus another, but I'm sure it exists. Is it politically incorrect to even look at the numbers relative to ethnicity? Are there language or cultural barriers that need to be dealt with to lessen the spread?
The Waterloo student community has been a problem with things other than Covid, and overcrowding is usually the problem.
Thoughts? Solutions?

I would argue the ‘lockdowns’ have done what they intended to do, temporarily bring the numbers down. Unless you’re willing to do a real lockdown this is all you can hope for.

I don’t doubt there’s a large population in these areas which probably see multi generational homes. But you can’t wag your finger at them when there’s a plethora of ‘white Canadians’ packing the parks.

Dougie's lockdown rules don't make much sense and this is going to make this lockdown less effective

I've brought up the point previously @Wingboy that a lot of the hot spots are in more racially diverse neighbourhoods, and that these areas are typically full of lower income, lower skill workforces where people can't just say 'I'm not coming into work today as I've got a throat tickle'. Unfortunately, these areas are also primarily not white. I agree though with @Evoex the Parks are full every day with warm weather from what I see. But IMO the risk outside in the open air is much less than on a factory floor.

It appeared at the time that there was a general acceptance of my point, and I believe it still stands. Similar to how the younger generation is now more affected by the new variant. This may also be traced back to the fact that the younger generation is typically employed in lower income positions and more susceptible to interactions with others.

Once again, all my friends that can work from home love this WFH business. All the ones that can't (literally all immigrants) cannot, and thing it's 100% ********, and take some small steps to protect themselves, but they just can't afford to stop working because they can't afford to.

I may be wrong, but I may be right. I'm not that smart.

EDIT: My favourite term for this is the 'mockdown'. This isn't a lockdown.

We've been in BC ever since the COVID outbreak started. The Okanagan is a favorite vacation destination for Albertan tourists, and many of them own summer homes here. 1 out of every 5-6 cars here has an Alberta plate.

For whatever reason, BC has managed to keep the COVID numbers relatively low. But when the numbers started climbing in Alberta, cars with Alberta plates started getting vandalized on the streets. "Go home! Stay in your own disease-riddled province!"

Another variation of "red plate hate".

I'm reminded of when the AIDS outbreak first started, it was seen as a homosexual disease. Today, it infects both gay and straight people, intravenous drug users and non-druggies.

It's so easy to fear "the other" and make this an "us vs them" issue. But the reality is, like any infectious disease, COVID doesn't distinguish between race, socio-economic status or geographic borders. Being a contagious disease, it's only a matter of time before "them" becomes "us".

What matters is treating others with respect and dignity, so in the eventuality, when "our" community gets stricken, we do not face the same prejudices that come so easily when you're on the other side of the infectious disease fence.

Dougie's lockdown rules don't make much sense and this is going to make this lockdown less effective
Ha I was listen to the radio in the car this morning. They were playing a game called is it "Malice" or "Incompetence" reguarding the gov choices on rules, the game alone tells you the general public doesn't agree with the rules and how some or alot of it doesn't makes any sense. Also rules seem to favour one group over others. I don't want to get trangled up in any conspericy theories either, but after a year of dealing with this it's hard to make any sense of it.

Not sure if i am crossing a line here or not. Peel region and Mississauga are obviously big problems with the spread of infection. "Lockdowns" haven't done very much.
Some of the neighborhoods in those two regions are very racialized. I haven't seen any numbers pointing to one community versus another, but I'm sure it exists. Is it politically incorrect to even look at the numbers relative to ethnicity? Are there language or cultural barriers that need to be dealt with to lessen the spread?
The Waterloo student community has been a problem with things other than Covid, and overcrowding is usually the problem.
Thoughts? Solutions?
Maybe the 400 ppl, week long weddings with family from all over the country have something to do with it ... who knows. The numbers and death toll don't really make sense though. How has the country let 23000 people die. It's a first world country with top of the line medical facilities, how are so many people dieing. Is the population just really old on average in canada or something?

I would argue the ‘lockdowns’ have done what they intended to do, temporarily bring the numbers down. Unless you’re willing to do a real lockdown this is all you can hope for.

I don’t doubt there’s a large population in these areas which probably see multi generational homes. But you can’t wag your finger at them when there’s a plethora of ‘white Canadians’ packing the parks.
The parks from what I saw on Sunday where packed with all kinds of people not just white (I watched a group of South Asians playing soccer at a park in Oakville). Almost every parking lot was full. People don't know what to do with themselves after winter, and lockdowns, they probably want to enjoy something and be outside for change. Is it the right thing to do, not sure, for someone's mental situation it seems better then sitting home.

The parks from what I saw on Sunday where packed with all kinds of people not just white (I watched a group of South Asians playing soccer at a park in Oakville). Almost every parking lot was full. People don't know what to do with themselves after winter, and lockdowns, they probably want to enjoy something and be outside for change. Is it the right thing to do, not sure, for someone's mental situation it seems better then sitting home.
No doubt. Just trying to look at it from an ethnic angle. If the people ‘new’ to the country are going to tow the line then ‘we’ need to set a better example.

Thoughts? Solutions?
There might be a lot of manufacturing jobs in those areas (food processing etc) where workers are both entry level can't really miss work, obviously can't work from home, and now essential workers and putting themselves at risk.

Ha I was listen to the radio in the car this morning. They were playing a game called is it "Malice" or "Incompetence" reguarding the gov choices on rules, the game alone tells you the general public doesn't agree with the rules and how some or alot of it doesn't makes any sense. Also rules seem to favour one group over others. I don't want to get trangled up in any conspericy theories either, but after a year of dealing with this it's hard to make any sense of it.
In Kitchener our local waterpark/event park had a Drive Thru Dinosaur exhibit cancelled because of covid.....but held a Hot tub/Spa expo the same day (25% capacity is allowed for retail). Insanity.

In Kitchener our local waterpark/event park had a Drive Thru Dinosaur exhibit cancelled because of covid.....but held a Hot tub/Spa expo the same day (25% capacity is allowed for retail). Insanity.

Bingemans!!

Conestoga Mall and Fairview mall is also still open too. You can't have people over but you can mingle at the mall :rolleyes:

The missus was jokingly saying we should do Easter at the mall with the extended family after seeing how busy it was on Friday.
My cousin said the same thing around Xmas, we couldn't gather, but we all could take a flight together to a destination... ?

The missus was jokingly saying we should do Easter at the mall with the extended family after seeing how busy it was on Friday.
This is why people won’t bother following up the rules and restrictions. I’m actually seeing it in more of my friend group that they’re pushing that line they previously refused to cross...they’re seeing rule breakers around everywhere and are feeling ‘why the eff am I sitting home if everyone else is enjoying themselves’

these mockdowns are going to be a harder sell each time around.

whoever coined ‘mockdown’ on this forum....thank you!

This isn’t a joke though....no one watching the news and seeing what's happened in France? Similar situation...vaccines slow to be delivered, decent weather, people acting like everything’s back to normal, new variants running amok......ICUs filled! That can and will happen here.

This isn’t a joke though....no one watching the news and seeing what's happened in France? Similar situation...vaccines slow to be delivered, decent weather, people acting like everything’s back to normal, new variants running amok......ICUs filled! That can and will happen here.
I don’t think anyone here is disagreeing with you (outside a small handful maybe).

This isn’t a joke. I asked my cousin today and our buddy is still in his second coma in the hospital. Still hasn’t come out. Turns out they put him under ECMO to keep him alive.

I don’t think anyone here is disagreeing with you (outside a small handful maybe).

This isn’t a joke. I asked my cousin today and our buddy is still in his second coma in the hospital. Still hasn’t come out. Turns out they put him under ECMO to keep him alive.

I just get madder when I see idiots putting spanners in the works. They are the first to complain about lockdowns when they are the ones causing them.

I just get madder when I see idiots putting spanners in the works. They are the first to complain about lockdowns when they are the ones causing them.
Gets tiring...a guy died recently and my friends were all ‘see....died of COVID after he got the vaccine...it’s all ******** to make more money for the man.’

how do you deal with that? I’m done arguing. My response is ‘yup, total ********’. You can only pound your head against a wall so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom