Elephant in the Covid room | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elephant in the Covid room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what the right thing to do is. Bottom line, my wife is fully vaccinated and I’m not. I know folks that made it through the ICU and survived and still deal with the affects. Why I can still go to Costco and i can’t get a hair cut, is anyone best guess.

We are losing friends from not doing social distance visits. Family is getting upset because we won’t make exceptions and just visit anyways.

I have friends that are teachers, health care workers, city workers, retirees and everything in between.

We haven’t changed our ways. We get out and take in the fresh air and we do our best to earn the pay check we get and we spend time contemplating when we can get together with our friends and family and take personal inventory of the friends and family we lost socially from avoiding them.

We drink more. We travel less. I’m in better physical health but, know mentally I’m suffering.

Love to have some clear direction. 51 and waiting in the Niagara Region when I can get vaccinated. For what ever that is worth. And I don’t care who makes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So a couple of things....not saying it isn’t true but a letter to a scientific journal is very different than a peer reviewed scientific article in the same journal. It’s like an announcement of something that could be interesting that requires further investigation. Wait and see.

Also just as an aside...Brazil could be assumed to be quite a bit more sunny than Canada. Brazil is up **** creek without a paddle. Don’t rely on this to affect much even if it is true.
jc100 seems very knowledgeable in this field. I am not. With my limited knowledge in many fields I rely on a short list of medical, technical and financial resources. The internet makes it too easy to set up a seemingly reliable source and too many people accept anything they read. Remember how spinach made Popeye strong. IIRC it was because someone missed a decimal place on the nutrient list.

I only trust information close to the source. Sites that glean information from other sites leave me cold. Remember some of the great theories from the past? We'd live forever under a pyramid, eating yogurt and tofu if we stayed away from the Bermuda Triangle.

jc100 seems very knowledgeable in this field. I am not. With my limited knowledge in many fields I rely on a short list of medical, technical and financial resources. The internet makes it too easy to set up a seemingly reliable source and too many people accept anything they read. Remember how spinach made Popeye strong. IIRC it was because someone missed a decimal place on the nutrient list.

I only trust information close to the source. Sites that glean information from other sites leave me cold. Remember some of the great theories from the past? We'd live forever under a pyramid, eating yogurt and tofu if we stayed away from the Bermuda Triangle.
Did you open up and read the link?

Did you open up and read the link?
I glanced at it just like I glance at charities but I don't intend to open and read every link I see. The bit that I did read indicated some potential but there were lots of "Mights" and "coulds" and a "Beginning to emerge" all indicating this is a preliminary report.

I do believe the sunlight has beneficial attributes unless you're a mushroom. I also believe that in the wrong doses it causes skin cancer. Is there a correlation between New Zealand's low covid numbers and the fact that there is a big hole in the ozone layer right over the place? There is a concern over skin cancer in the land of Kiwi birds and earthquakes.

Preliminary reports can distort reality because a lot of people do not challenge what they hear.

Some explorer trekking through the Amazon comes across a tribe that eats some strange berries and they don't get cancer. Put that in writing and someone will say "eat those strange berries and you won't get cancer, who needs doctors". That tribe doesn't get cancer because they don't smoke or inhale the fumes of diesel buses. They have a high fiber diet.

The explorer never retracts his writing when the whole story comes out and even if he did few would read it.

Preliminary data belongs in think tanks where knowledgeable people can evaluate, modify or integrate the information into a usable form.

Last edited:
I glanced at it just like I glance at charities but I don't intend to open and read every link I see. The bit that I did read indicated some potential but there were lots of "Mights" and "coulds" and a "Beginning to emerge" all indicating this is a preliminary report.

I do believe the sunlight has beneficial attributes unless you're a mushroom. I also believe that in the wrong doses it causes skin cancer. If there a correlation between New Zealand's low covid numbers and the fact that there is a big hole in the ozone layer right over the place? There is a concern over skin cancer in the land of Kiwi birds and earthquakes.

Preliminary reports can distort reality because a lot of people do not challenge what they hear.

Some explorer trekking through the Amazon comes across a tribe that eats some strange berries and they don't get cancer. Put that in writing and someone will say "eat those strange berries and you won't get cancer, who needs doctors". That tribe doesn't get cancer because they don't smoke or inhale the fumes of diesel buses. They have a high fiber diet.

The explorer never retracts his writing when the whole story comes out and even if he did few would read it.

Preliminary data belongs in think tanks where knowledgeable people can evaluate, modify or integrate the information into a usable form.
Omg, there's that silly "scientific method"again.

As part of my work we used to have to write articles for scientific journals on our research. The peer reviewed ones might pass first time but more often than not a panel would send them back for major or minor revisions or outright reject the article. This would be done if the panel didn’t think the work was rigorous enough or if the results didn’t mean what we thought they meant. A letter is basically just an opinion piece that may have preliminary work but no independent panel has judged anything in it.

It's not really relevant to the conversation, but this reminds me of the guy who came up with the Alpha Wolf idea. Not long after, he realised his theories were incorrect, but the concept resonated with people in a way that was impossible to undo. No matter what he did or how many books he wrote trying to correct the record, he was mostly ignored because the reality was much less of a clear and simple explanation. Segments of the dog training world still reduce things to Alpha and Beta, despite there being no science behind it because it's an easy story to tell.

There is an element of this with Covid, with anti-maskers still complaining that we were told early on not to wear them (ignoring both changing data as a possibility and the governmental fear of mask hoarding at the time). You also see this in the frustration people express when protocols change with new data.

I think our biggest problem now is Covid fatigue. Enough people have just hit the wall on making personal sacrifices, are tired of the whole thing, and will find any excuse to do what they like. It's not dissimilar to climate change, where the reality is so awful that it's overwhelmingly tempting to just tune that out and minimise the angst. Having a provincial government that is so unclear in their messaging, so heavy on the platitudes and light on the decisive action, only serves to feed that monster. I met in the Dixie Outlet Mall parking lot this past Saturday to (socially distanced and outdoors) pick up some bike parts, and when I clicked on the mall in Google Maps, it said, "Much busier than usual". Considering how packed the lot was, Google was right. So discouraging.

I think our biggest problem now is Covid fatigue. Enough people have just hit the wall on making personal sacrifices, are tired of the whole thing, and will find any excuse to do what they like.

There's already talk about wave 4 lol:

In other news, Australia and New Zealand have opened up a “travel bubble” between the nations as they are doing so well.

If it comes to anything other than raising taxes the government in this country at all levels couldn’t organize a good crap

It's not really relevant to the conversation, but this reminds me of the guy who came up with the Alpha Wolf idea. Not long after, he realised his theories were incorrect, but the concept resonated with people in a way that was impossible to undo. No matter what he did or how many books he wrote trying to correct the record, he was mostly ignored because the reality was much less of a clear and simple explanation. Segments of the dog training world still reduce things to Alpha and Beta, despite there being no science behind it because it's an easy story to tell.

There is an element of this with Covid, with anti-maskers still complaining that we were told early on not to wear them (ignoring both changing data as a possibility and the governmental fear of mask hoarding at the time). You also see this in the frustration people express when protocols change with new data.

I think our biggest problem now is Covid fatigue. Enough people have just hit the wall on making personal sacrifices, are tired of the whole thing, and will find any excuse to do what they like. It's not dissimilar to climate change, where the reality is so awful that it's overwhelmingly tempting to just tune that out and minimise the angst. Having a provincial government that is so unclear in their messaging, so heavy on the platitudes and light on the decisive action, only serves to feed that monster. I met in the Dixie Outlet Mall parking lot this past Saturday to (socially distanced and outdoors) pick up some bike parts, and when I clicked on the mall in Google Maps, it said, "Much busier than usual". Considering how packed the lot was, Google was right. So discouraging.

The covid fatigue may have other side effects. I can't help but feel that some people are thinking the USA has it right. "Get the economy rolling again and accept the death toll. Tough luck to the civil rights activists in Myanmar and Hong Kong, the Save the Species types, refugee camps, PETA and the other special lives groups."

A lot of people just want a break and don't give a crap anymore. The housing thing for those without is just rubbing their noses in it.

We're trying to bail out the boat using a sieve. We're worse off than we were a year ago with no change in sight.

I had a disturbing visit yesterday, masks at the door.

The middle aged daughter of a neighbour dropped off some butter tarts and we chatted. She has a house and husband ten minutes away but has been living at her mother's place across the street for a year. Her dad died about three years ago and her mother started showing signs of Alzheimer's disease shortly after.

Fortunately the daughter can work from wherever she has internet but she hasn't had a day off in a year. Her mother has developed phobias about showers and is incontinent. A care giver comes in twice a week to help.

The mother has her first shot but the daughter doesn't qualify because of age and because the mother isn't in LTC. She, justly so, doesn't trust LTC.

We have some members in not too different situations or different but just as troubling. Job, money, health, spouse or kid issues.

We're on strike three with covid up in the count. We need new batters.

The statists/globalists have us by the short and curlies...
Things are never going to go back to normal, just a different kind of worse.
Prepare to live in a perpetual state of crisis...

The statists/globalists have us by the short and curlies...
Things are never going to go back to normal, just a different kind of worse.
Prepare to live in a perpetual state of crisis...
They finally agreed to let my wifes co-worker and family in to see her dad in ICU right before they pulled the plug. :( Poor guy was alone in hospital for two weeks and they weren't allowed in due to covid restrictions (he didn't have covid, the co-worker was fully vaccinated but rules are rules, no exceptions).

her dad in ICU right before they pulled the plug. :( Poor guy was alone in hospital for two weeks and they weren't allowed in due to covid restrictions
What a horrible way to go.
Had I been in his place I'd have opted to off myself than go through weeks of mental torture like that.

Pity his case isn't uncommon.

What a horrible way to go.
Had I been in his place I'd have opted to off myself than go through weeks of mental torture like that.

Pity his case isn't uncommon.
He was physically restrained so he didn't pull things out. Mentally 100%, physically terrible. About as bad as it gets. The only saving grace was it was "just" two weeks. Probably felt like forever for the poor guy though.

Agreed - I'm 90% convinced there is no back to normal at this rate.
Prepare to see population declines as well - 'Baby bust': Canada’s population growth ‘essentially stops' due to COVID-19
Old normal is very unlikely. Even health care is having trouble getting more than 65% of their staff to agree to vaccination. General population will probably be less than that. IIRC, we need >80% to get herd immunity. The longer this keeps rampaging, the more variants evolve. Given enough chances, one will be resistant to all current vaccines and we will be back to march 2020. Worldwide, we need to get this shutdown asap or the "freedumbs" will quite literally wipe us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom