Ear Protection - opinion. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear Protection - opinion.

I really recommend everyone to try silicon ones, like this ones.

1633189790959.jpeg
I was using them for sleeping for a long time and thought they would be too quiet on a bike, but no, they are perfect. The box above says that they are rated only for 22dB, but they are much quieter than EarPieces with medium insert.

And they are super comfortable, I can wear them all day, while foam ones start to irritate my ears after a few hours.

-22 is reasonable

Ambient on a mcycle at 100 kph is circa 100 db which is harmful over time.
-22 gets you to interior of a moving car at 100 kph. Reasonable tho not quiet. A jet cruising is about 85 db and very nice to have noise supression or even better cancellation.

I still prefer -33.

The silcon is easier on the ears. I've been trying out the latest Bose QuietComfort BlueTooth with silicon tips. Yep comfortable but not suitable to motorcycle :(

appreciate the extra info from everyone. this is very useful. I find in-ear headphones hard to keep in the ear while putting the helmet on due to its shape. it always get dislodged or misaligned putting the helmet on. if anyone knows of solution that would be extremely helpful.

appreciate the extra info from everyone. this is very useful. I find in-ear headphones hard to keep in the ear while putting the helmet on due to its shape. it always get dislodged or misaligned putting the helmet on. if anyone knows of solution that would be extremely helpful.
1633314327360.jpeg

I used to wear the Shure E215 and before that the Etymotic er6i’s and before that the Shure E530’s. All of them would give me tons of grief when putting the helmet on until I wore a thin skullcap. The one I used was made by Craft and it’s a runners skullcap. I really liked how thin it was and it had minimal seams, so it wouldn’t make me uncomfortable on long rides. Never had an issue with the earbuds coming out after that.

Best of all it kept the entire inside of my helmet clean.

There are many skullcaps that would meet the purpose / just make sure they are thin and have minimal seams around the forehead area and over the ears.

I will try Nexcare. Shure E530 isn't currently available on Amazon. :cry:

I will try Nexcare. Shure E530 isn't currently available on Amazon. :cry:
It was an older model, so I might have the model number wrong, but I know it was their premium set for musicians and way overkill for the bike. The Shure E215 are more than adequate for good quality sound with reasonably balanced lows, mods and highs.

Edit: it was the Shure E5c. The sound was literally like being in club but at the low volumes required for safe operation of a bike, it was a waste for motorcycle riding.

If you ever get your hands on the Etymotic er6i’s - those are my all time fav’s for riding.

I checked yours is not that old model. all the models from Shure are currently unavailable. I think they are popular and out of stock/chip shortage issues. something along the line. dang Etymotic er6i are expensive. lol it will be next year thing for me.

dang Etymotic er6i are expensive. lol it will be next year thing for me.

Well, they discontinued them well over a decade ago. Since then, nobody else, including Etymotic, has ever come close to producing an in-ear phone that fits as comfortably as they did under a motorcycle helmet.

So if you've found a pair for sale, it's from a hoarder who is charging a premium for it.

I have one pair left, and if anyone wants it, I'll start the bidding at $1000. They're that good.

Ear protection? who needs ear protection? Not me

My cat uses earplugs and I never call him a pussy

+1 for disposable foam earplugs (I get them for free at work)

and Sure in-ear headphones with proper foam size for music/phone.

I printed the little pillow boxes for these for years. Still using ones that came home in pockets. Anyone that had anything to do with them, hated them. Horrible little piece of cardboard!
3M Ear Plugs, 30 Pairs/Box, E-A-R Classic 310-1060, Uncorded, Disposable, Foam, NRR 29, For Drilling, Grinding, Machining, Sawing, Sanding, Welding, 1 Pair/Pillow Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008MCTLJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_0FX0AP2XHSPV7VTB9NX2

I printed the little pillow boxes for these for years. Still using ones that came home in pockets. Anyone that had anything to do with them, hated them. Horrible little piece of cardboard!
3M Ear Plugs, 30 Pairs/Box, E-A-R Classic 310-1060, Uncorded, Disposable, Foam, NRR 29, For Drilling, Grinding, Machining, Sawing, Sanding, Welding, 1 Pair/Pillow Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008MCTLJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_0FX0AP2XHSPV7VTB9NX2
By miles, those are my least favorite earplugs. Miserable experience. Not easy to insert properly, uncomfortable, blech. I'm glad the contoured/softer foam plugs have come down in price so the yellows are disappearing from most places.

I've got a few hundred pairs each of moldex 6604, tasco softseal 33 and 3M no touch now in case anyone wants to try something different.

By miles, those are my least favorite earplugs. Miserable experience. Not easy to insert properly, uncomfortable, blech. I'm glad the contoured/softer foam plugs have come down in price so the yellows are disappearing from most places.

I've got a few hundred pairs each of moldex 6604, tasco softseal 33 and 3M no touch now in case anyone wants to try something different.
Ya, it's very much a personal preference thing.

78D62BAC-AB05-4C81-9E2B-3940B9E021AF.jpegThese are my go to plugs for riding. Would take em by the handful at the job site as life can be loud on that site.

@GreyGhost i wouldn’t mind trying one of those you mention. My supply is starting to run a tad low.

Another big vote for Shure SE215's. I took the $ dive a few years ago at the suggest of (IIRC?) Macdoc here and have never looked back. You get what you pay for, and I find them comfortable even for 1000+ km days.

I find them a bit finnicky sometimes to get "screwed in" just right to get the maximum earplug-effect, and the over-ear wiring can be tricky with helmets, but for long hours of riding while listening to music / audiobooks / podcasts / whatever without the roaring wind noise, they are awesome. I use the largest foam tips and concur that the silicone ones pale in comparison.

I have also used the orange foamies and although they're actually superior yet to the SE215's, obviously they present barriers for listening to music/whatever at the same time - I never found helmet mounted speakers up to the task of getting past them at a comfortable level for some things like audiobooks.

And pay close attention to the earplug fitment post from Ash on page 1 - I see soooooo many people who use earplugs this way and then complain that "they aren't working" or "they fall out when I put my helmet on", but just don't have them in anything remotely close to properly. When the orange foamies are in correctly for example you will struggle to hold a conversation with someone yelling in your face almost.

Another big vote for Shure SE215's. I took the $ dive a few years ago at the suggest of (IIRC?) Macdoc here and have never looked back. You get what you pay for, and I find them comfortable even for 1000+ km days.

I find them a bit finnicky sometimes to get "screwed in" just right to get the maximum earplug-effect, and the over-ear wiring can be tricky with helmets, but for long hours of riding while listening to music / audiobooks / podcasts / whatever without the roaring wind noise, they are awesome. I use the largest foam tips and concur that the silicone ones pale in comparison.

I have also used the orange foamies and although they're actually superior yet to the SE215's, obviously they present barriers for listening to music/whatever at the same time - I never found helmet mounted speakers up to the task of getting past them at a comfortable level for some things like audiobooks.

And pay close attention to the earplug fitment post from Ash on page 1 - I see soooooo many people who use earplugs this way and then complain that "they aren't working" or "they fall out when I put my helmet on", but just don't have them in anything remotely close to properly. When the orange foamies are in correctly for example you will struggle to hold a conversation with someone yelling in your face almost.
Keep your eyes open and it's not even that much of a dive. I got 425's for $50 not that long ago(not stolen for clarity), the last pair of 530's I bought was <$250. I strongly prefer the 530's but they predate modular cables, the cables have pretty much given up and I don't wear IEM's that much so I didn't want to spend so much on another pair.

I'm tempted to try a set of these with my SE215's. The single sleeve silicone ones that come with the Sure's pale compared to the foamies (as I posted above), but I have used the non-headphone style of these sorts of 3 sleeve silicone earplugs in the past and actually found them quite good. I'm wondering if they may solve some of the issues I still have with the 215's with needing to twist them and push them in to really get the foam to seat fully.

Back
Top Bottom