Ear Protection - opinion. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear Protection - opinion.

I'm tempted to try a set of these with my SE215's. The single sleeve silicone ones that come with the Sure's pale compared to the foamies (as I posted above), but I have used the non-headphone style of these sorts of 3 sleeve silicone earplugs in the past and actually found them quite good. I'm wondering if they may solve some of the issues I still have with the 215's with needing to twist them and push them in to really get the foam to seat fully.
I've never tried christmas trees that I can stand. Lower performance, less comfort and they get squidgy for me with a bit of sweat. Obviously some people like them.

Last edited:
Keep your eyes open and it's not even that much of a dive. I got 425's for $50

Can't do wireless as I use them with my Packalk as well, then just stream my phones bluetooth to it (and then the headphones) versus the headphone directly.

I did look for some deals when I bought the 215's, but there was nothing. And I am unfortunately sometimes a "I want it yesterday" type of person so I just pay whatever the going price ends up being at that moment.

As for the "Christmas trees" plugs, yeah, they may not be as good as I remember. Would be a gamble for sure, but I do like the rigid aspect vs the foam.

Can't do wireless as I use them with my Packalk as well, then just stream my phones bluetooth to it (and then the headphones) versus the headphone directly.

I did look for some deals when I bought the 215's, but there was nothing. And I am unfortunately sometimes a "I want it yesterday" type of person so I just pay whatever the going price ends up being at that moment.

As for the "Christmas trees" plugs, yeah, they may not be as good as I remember. Would be a gamble for sure, but I do like the rigid aspect vs the foam.
Do you have the Packtalk Bold w/ JLB speakers?
Asking because I use foamies with mine and can hear audiobooks crystal clear. But totally depends on helmet type and speaker placement.

425's aren't wireless. They theoretically sound a bit better than 215's but I've never listened to 215's so I can't comment. Honestly, I am underwhelmed but Shure IEM's in general but they tuck into your ears well and I have found better deals on them than Ety's.

425's aren't wireless. They theoretically sound a bit better than 215's but I've never listened to 215's so I can't comment. Honestly, I am underwhelmed but Shure IEM's in general but they tuck into your ears well and I have found better deals on them than Ety's.
The 215's are mid grade sound. They are perfect for the bike where you can't really crank it anyways and are dealing with wind noise as well.

The higher end Shure's like the 500 series can't be compared to the 215's - they are worlds apart in fidelity. I've never used the 400's so can't comment.

Do you have the Packtalk Bold w/ JLB speakers?
Asking because I use foamies with mine and can hear audiobooks crystal clear. But totally depends on helmet type and speaker placement.

I see the software toggle for the JBL's in the Packtalk app, but admittedly do not have them. I'd love to be able to go back to good old pink foamies honestly as I found them far better than *anything* else overall, but yeah, volume with helmet mounted speakers was always the issue, especially on quieter audiobooks/podcasts.

Maybe I'd best give them a shot.

425's aren't wireless.

Shure website seems to suggest otherwise on their model page. But then shows wires. I dunno.

The higher end Shure's like the 500 series can't be compared to the 215's - they are worlds apart in fidelity. I've never used the 400's so can't comment.

Since I'm listening to audiobooks or podcasts basically 100% of the time when I'm using the in-ears, the fidelity need not be top notch. On the occasion that I'm listening to music instead I use the bikes audio system with my Sirius satellite.

I see the software toggle for the JBL's in the Packtalk app, but admittedly do not have them. I'd love to be able to go back to good old pink foamies honestly as I found them far better than *anything* else overall, but yeah, volume with helmet mounted speakers was always the issue, especially on quieter audiobooks/podcasts.

Maybe I'd best give them a shot.
My personal experience is that the quality of sound from the speakers varies wildly with the speaker brand, the model of helmet and my ability to place the speakers as close to my ear canals without touching my ears. The JBL speakers are the only ones that have delivered with reasonable sound. I had the Sena and Scala G9 before this and they both sucked.

Even the JBL speakers at first were not that great, but in my newest helmet (Shoei GT-Air2), the speaker cavities allow the speakers to sit really low in the helmet, which means they emit sound right into my ear canal. I do have the volume cranked at full, but I can very clearly hear the music, the voices and so on. Even better is that I still have room to add a thin layer behind the speakers to get them even closer to my ear. I did that before and it almost sounded like a club in my helmet, so I moved them back.

The JBL speakers I have are the 40mm ones and now they have the 45mm ones, which I would think are even better. But it's all a moot point if your helmet will not allow you to have the speakers at the right positioning.

Last edited:
If anyone would like to experiment with helmet speakers. I have a box of Goldwing days speakers in the garage. Yours for the taking.

Just bumping this thread again on the topic of the Shure SE215's....my first ride of the season a few weeks ago reminded me that the foam tips on my 215's were in need of replacement. And I was never super happy how tight they fit even if you squished them before insertion, and I tried all the different sizes, the rubber ones vs the foam ones, etc etc. Everything that came with them.

So I bought these new tips instead:

And WOW. I used to like these style of earplugs when I had access to them before (as just earplugs), and on the 215's they work amazing. I like that they stay rigid on the length axis to get a nice snug insertion, but the ripples fit your ear canal perfectly. Getting the earpieces on is so much easier. I rode for probably about 1.5 hours and they still felt perfectly comfortable. The only thing I had to do was immediately turn down all the volume levels on my Scala as I was getting blasted at the previous levels.

The foam tips I'd say blocked 80% of road noise, the new ones block literally 100% so far as leakage around the tips. The difference was immediately amazing. You can still hear surrounding traffic, sirens, etc etc. It's just 100% of the wind noise and such was...gone.

I wish in ear speakers worked for me. I tried them a few years back. Cant get a Helmet on with them in. Any advice?

I wish in ear speakers worked for me. I tried them a few years back. Cant get a Helmet on with them in. Any advice?

Have you tried something like the Shure SE215’s a bunch of us are talking about here? They fit in such a fashion that wearing them with a full face isn’t a problem and the over ear hook keeps them in place even while you’re putting your helmet on.

Yes they cost some money, however everything in motorcycling does.

Really depends on what In-Ear Monitors you are using, as well as the shape of your ear canal.

Typically the problem is that the barrel is too long and the helmet pulls the earphones out, so your IEM needs to sit deeper in your ear. Worse case you need another IEM that's got a shorter barrel. But it might also be solved by fitting a shorter or smaller foam/plastic tip at the end of the earphone. Most are interchangeable.

You can also try wearing a longer doo-rag and pull it down over your ears so it covers the earphones. This protects it from being ripped off by the helmet when you pull it down. I can accomplish the same thing by wearing a neck buff and pulling it up over my ears, but this might get too hot in the summertime.

My advice, would be not to listen to music/podcasts while riding in the gta. Hearing is one of the senses that keep you alive in traffic.

Have you tried something like the Shure SE215’s a bunch of us are talking about here? They fit in such a fashion that wearing them with a full face isn’t a problem and the over ear hook keeps them in place even while you’re putting your helmet on.

Yes they cost some money, however everything in motorcycling does.
Haven't tried them. I forget the ones I tried. Gave them to my daughter after I had no success trying them under my helmet.

My advice, would be not to listen to music/podcasts while riding in the gta. Hearing is one of the senses that keep you alive in traffic.
Lucky me, I don't have to deal with that.

Disagree but that's an opinion. You are riding first, analyzing music/conversation second. If you are the type to get enraptured by butterflies at the roadside after an oncoming 18 Wheeler enters your lane ahead of you, you are right, operating a motor vehicle is not for you.

For the talk of IEMs, I think that while IEMs are the 'cheaper' route as they can be used both with and without your helmet, the convenience of just putting on your helmet with no additional fuss, as well as having easy to access glove friendly volume controls justifies the cost.

Last edited:
Can’t say I agree.

I agree with the post that agrees with the post, about agreeing with the post

Back
Top Bottom