E-mail replies | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

E-mail replies

Ordered a tire last week. Dealer emailed to tell me it was in on the 15th. I phoned yesterday to see how/when to bring the wheel in for installation, and took the wheel off of the bike. This morning I dropped the wheel off, and expect a call back when it's ready, but will accept an email. It sounded like they might get it back to me this afternoon or tomorrow. I didn't respond earlier, because I was busy and didn't have the time to bring the wheel in, and/or the bike was in use.

I do understand the comment about texting before calling ... I could be in the middle of anything where I can't pick up the phone. A text is good as you can let it sit while you finish whatever you were doing and then reply back "good to chat now, call anytime".

Of course, voice mail also works the same.

Years ago I was talking to an ex CEO and he admitted being one of the first to sign up for a company wide answering service, eliminating the human receptionist. The first day he saw what it spawned. It used to be that the order desk, or whatever department you were calling, answered the next call ASAP. Now with call display they can skip to an easier call. A good receptionist is worth their weight in gold.

"I'm either away from my desk or on the phone. Leave a message and I'll call you right back". You find out two days later, when the need has gone critical, that the contact is on a three week vacation.

When spam filters were primitive I spent the weekend preparing and sending a bunch of requested information to a major electrical contractor. I called the contact mid week to see if he had a chance to review the info. His reply was that when he comes in Monday AM there are hundreds of emails so he just erases them all and starts fresh. You're welcome.

On the other hand I had a contact that would leave a voice mail to tell me to check my texts telling me he sent me a fax telling me I had an email.

If you send an email, it's in writing, so you have to be more careful with your wording. Therefore, it usually takes longer.

I supposed you could record your phone conversations, but that could get ambitious to review all the time.

For business, I rely on email communication. Last chore every business day is to check that all incoming emails have been read or otherwise dealt with, and that all messages requiring a reply have been replied to. If I'm on vacation, the auto-responder is set, and I probably won't be responding for a couple of weeks.

The newfangled messaging formats don't work for a lot of what I need to do. It's ok for messages of the "I'm here, at the reception desk" variety, but not for anything important.

Business or personal?

8f personal.did they ask you to email them?

What's a reasonable amount of time to give someone for a reply to your mail?
Is it a new normal to just ignore your mail and down the road say.... gee, what mail?
Kind of falls in with.... Text me before you call me. WTF!
Makes me want to write a letter, stuff it in an envelope, and staple it to someone forehead
If you are talking about business email, same day, or possibly next depending on workload. Now if I go longer without a replying I always put something like "sorry for the delay" to reassure them, and make sure the content is well thought out.
Personal messages, 48hrs seems ok, if no response, I just leave it alone move onto another subject.

If you are asking because of your bike situation with HD, ya they dropped the ball. Either move on, or they correct/compensate you on this. Second option is tough since this is a new relationship starting off shhitty. But they could fix it get you the bike, and you can take the long term business someplace else anyway.

If you are talking about business email, same day, or possibly next depending on workload. Now if I go longer without a replying I always put something like "sorry for the delay" to reassure them, and make sure the content is well thought out.
Personal messages, 48hrs seems ok, if no response, I just leave it alone move onto another subject.

If you are asking because of your bike situation with HD, ya they dropped the ball. Either move on, or they correct/compensate you on this. Second option is tough since this is a new relationship starting off shhitty. But they could fix it get you the bike, and you can take the long term business someplace else anyway.
Yes it was HD.I am a bit fussy about people's work ethics sometimes. (am i turning into Oscar on corner gas?) I went next door to Apex. I'm over it.

Yes it was HD.I am a bit fussy about people's work ethics sometimes. (am i turning into Oscar on corner gas?) I went next door to Apex. I'm over it.
I have to agree I am the same way. My new line is "I'm surprisingly unsurprised" by all the little things I have to deal with day-to-day.

So are you bailing on the PanAm?

So are you bailing on the PanAm?
Yes. I am very disappointed. I would have had to go back on a list for a 2022 to get what i wanted. They are selling a lot more of them than they expected. If the dealer had committed to a 2021 price for a 2022 Pan Am and guaranteed his value for the trade in value of my Duc,i might have waited. But they didn't seem to care too much.
I'm going to get a Super Tenere and save $10k.

Emails are better for the "paper trail". As long as the email account is active, you will have a record. Sms and WhatsApp and etc are not ideal for permanent records as exporting them are a pain in the ass. If you lose your phone, and aren't on-top of your backups, good luck!

If it is for personal purposes, email is never a solution. If it is urgent, call.

Any business that insists on email communication as the primary preferred method but do not treat it with priority is not likely to want your business or trying to avoid you (Corps contact us or complaints, etc).

Last edited:

Interesting choice, not what I would have expected.

Note that the Super Tenere has been unchanged outside of colours from 2014, can buy used and not lose anything.

Yes. I am very disappointed. I would have had to go back on a list for a 2022 to get what i wanted. They are selling a lot more of them than they expected. If the dealer had committed to a 2021 price for a 2022 Pan Am and guaranteed his value for the trade in value of my Duc,i might have waited. But they didn't seem to care too much.
Are you going to sell the tassels you bought for the hog on eBay now?

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Back
Top Bottom