E-mail replies | GTAMotorcycle.com

E-mail replies

Wingboy

Site Supporter
What's a reasonable amount of time to give someone for a reply to your mail?
Is it a new normal to just ignore your mail and down the road say.... gee, what mail?
Kind of falls in with.... Text me before you call me. WTF!
Makes me want to write a letter, stuff it in an envelope, and staple it to someone forehead

Is it a new normal to just ignore your mail and down the road say.... gee, what mail?
Makes me want to write a letter, stuff it in an envelope, and staple it to someone forehead
You could have just called me.
No need to air our dirty laundry here.

Reply sent.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Sorry, it ended up in my spam folder, but to answer your question: No, I don't want to extend my car's warranty, have my driveway coated or my ducts and eavestrough cleaned. But thanks for asking. ;)

If I have something that is time sensitive, I call and talk to a real person. That way you know they got the message and are working on it. If I send emails, I'm normally not picky on reply time.

Many years ago my brother gave our 75 the old Mom a laptop to "expand" her world. He spent hours showing her how to do basics like mail. Couple of months later he asked her how it was working.
She said to take it away. People are rude. They never return her mail. Go buy me some envelopes and stamps.
He looked at her outbox. Yup. Never hit the send button. Lol

In my experience, emails are often read with the intent to reply but are easily forgotten as most people work from their inbox from the top (newest email) down. Meaning something forgotten about just gets buried deeper and deeper. But 1 business day should not be hard to manage Even if the reply is "I don't know, still looking into it" kind of thing. Any reply is better than no reply.

as a personal communication medium, email is dead
the proliferation of spam and the filters to kick that out on personal email accounts
means there is a high probability the recipient will not see it
a text message has a higher probability of getting a reply - less clutter to compete with

it's still of course a useful tool in the business world
Exchange accounts are kept cleaner
less spam and not intended for personal blather

I generally use chat via Discord, Teams, or whatever.

If using email, most ppl I know will respond within 5min to 30min. If they don't, someone is going after them and they know.

Outside of work, in the situation you're talking about, I'll make sure they never want to talk to me on the phone again because the emails are much more pleasant. I recommend this to everyone because I think the reason this is so rampant, especially due to WFH, is that there's no hammer dropping on ppl anymore. Everyone should be their own hammer.

I assume this is dealer related? They are likely swamped with all the Covid restrictions changing and the seasonal backlog. If I didn’t get a response in 24hrs I’d follow up with a phone call.

A 3 legged camel, swimming could get a letter there faster than 48hrs.

For work I use that rule.

It's to reduce the potential for second-hand stress :)

I assume this is dealer related? They are likely swamped with all the Covid restrictions changing and the seasonal backlog. If I didn’t get a response in 24hrs I’d follow up with a phone call.

I had a hell of a time getting dealers to email me back when I was looking for a bike a few weeks ago. Kijiji is also horrible for that. I respond to an ad and I either don’t hear back or it’s weeks later that they respond.
Same with companies that advertise on Facebook. I’ve messaged some or commented on their ad and it’s just crickets. Why pay for an ad if you’re not going to respond to potential customers?

as a personal communication medium, email is dead
the proliferation of spam and the filters to kick that out on personal email accounts
means there is a high probability the recipient will not see it
a text message has a higher probability of getting a reply - less clutter to compete with

it's still of course a useful tool in the business world
Exchange accounts are kept cleaner
less spam and not intended for personal blather
I agree with this. But for @Wingboy I believe he was referring to a business related email.

2 to 3 business days.
When i was in my last customer service job we had a noon cutoff.
Anything sent before noon had to be responded to the same day and everything sent after noon had to be responded to before noon the next day.
Made everybody's lives easier and most clients were happy.

not in my experience, I was talking with GP and apex, turnaround was 6 hours for emails with both(this was recently during covid/sales rush)

Normally Id say 24h max is what I consider a fair amount of time, if its important you'll find 5 mins in a day to respond back, if its spam or not important, it gets deleted/ignored

In my experience, emails are often read with the intent to reply but are easily forgotten as most people work from their inbox from the top (newest email) down. Meaning something forgotten about just gets buried deeper and deeper.

That's why I like Outlook. Deactivate automatic read on preview and your catch up is always in the upper Unread folder.

No scrolling for those things you left behind.

Back
Top Bottom