Daily sports car? | Page 58 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

Point is, a CVT doesn’t have any gears to shift other than reverse. It’s not even a transmission by definition.

wait, what?

Continuous Variable Transmission

no paddle shifters, whichever one allows you to "manually" shift...the Kona and the Crosstrek I took out two years ago both had it...I obviously got the terminology wrong...my bad...

wait, what?

Continuous Variable Transmission

It's a glorified mechanical torque converter. Even the link (from your beloved Car and Driver) says so.

"most CVT systems work through a pulley system. In short, this system consists of cones at each pulley connected via a chain belt."

"One pulley in the CVT is connected to the engine and the other directs power to the wheels. The width of these pulleys changes based on the needed power; as one gets larger, the other gets smaller. This allows a CVT to deliver strong and seamless acceleration"

It's a glorified mechanical torque converter. Even the link (from your beloved Car and Driver) says so.

"most CVT systems work through a pulley system. In short, this system consists of cones at each pulley connected via a chain belt."

"One pulley in the CVT is connected to the engine and the other directs power to the wheels. The width of these pulleys changes based on the needed power; as one gets larger, the other gets smaller. This allows a CVT to deliver strong and seamless acceleration"

its still a transmission.

no paddle shifters, whichever one allows you to "manually" shift...the Kona and the Crosstrek I took out two years ago both had it...I obviously got the terminology wrong...my bad...

You were right about the Crosstrek being CVT, at least.

My 2010 Si had the best shifter I’ve ever had. The Genesis 6MT was nothing special, the WRX was meh.

But my BILs 128 6MT was also pretty good.
I bought an automatic when I got the Subaru, I didn't like the shift to fifth. Seemed like it might catch third a lot.

My buddy let me drive his S2000 once. Probably the best shifter I've ever used. Nice, crisp, short throws. Very solid, no slushiness at all.
Got a Steeda short-shifter on a 'Stang, it is a vast improvement over the original shift action.

I posed this one to Toslow:

Would you rather have an old VW and field to beat it in or all of Jay Lenos cars that you were not allowed to drive or sell.
Please hand me the keys to that beater.....

My buddy let me drive his S2000 once. Probably the best shifter I've ever used. Nice, crisp, short throws. Very solid, no slushiness at all.

I was actually disappointed by my S2000's shifter compared to my Miata's.

I posed this one to Toslow:

Would you rather have an old VW and field to beat it in or all of Jay Lenos cars that you were not allowed to drive or sell.
Please hand me the keys to that beater.....
jay leno, 10/10 times lol

Forgot about that one. It’s been years but one of the most fun cars I’ve driven.

Now the Jaguar X-Type was the worst manual I’ve ever driven.

Sales manager offered me that S2000 trade in for 11k. Oh how I wish I bought it.

jay leno, 10/10 times lol

agreed. could make decent money opening a museum.
i wouldn't mind sitting shotgun in a lot of those cars.
worst case, just starting some up regularly and basking in the sight/sounds would make my day.

old vw and field would get boring pretty fast if that's all I get.

Honda and Mazda do it best.
Sometimes yes, somtimes meh.

The shifter on the old DC4 Integra I had was the best shifter I've ever driven; just unbelieveably smooth, short throws, but precise. The clutch had almost unnaturally short and light travel.

My BL Mazda3's shifter is...fine, but has a tendency to grind 2nd...I blame Ford.

I loved that car growing up.

No joke, if I had the means, I'd be all over that.

and a bone stock MINT first or second year NSX.
Sunny, this one likely still smells like new. Bust out the cheque book:

I had a Nissan 370z for about a year. Great car. Hold their value incredibly well, strong motor and transmission. Hasn't changed since 2009, Looking to buy another when I find the right optioned/priced one. Can easily drive for a year or two and only lose a couple of grand.

Back
Top Bottom