Daily sports car? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

Vette is a cool car and a great concept

but even if I had money to burn in the fireplace
GM would never get another cent from me

take the bailout $$ then leave
not cool

This thread is really making me want to get a fun car after we get the minivan...but I may need / want the same criteria except with the automatic transmission as wife doesn't drive manual.

This thread is really making me want to get a fun car after we get the minivan...but I may need / want the same criteria except with the automatic transmission as wife doesn't drive manual.

All the fun cars come with Dual-Clutch Automatics these days.

On the other hand, you won't be able to buy a fun car with a stick shift very soon.

All the fun cars come with Dual-Clutch Automatics these days.

On the other hand, you won't be able to buy a fun car with a stick shift very soon.
Yes I'm seeing the trend...it's unfortunate but understandable. I read that the GTI and the 135i w/ the DCT are fantastic.
I wouldn't want to strand the wife somewhere if I need the bigger car and she gets stuck with a car she can't drive.
How I wish I could afford the 328xi wagons...love those things so much.

My daily driver in the summer is a 2004 BMW Z4 that I bought three years ago from one of my customers. It only had 20,000 km on it and was too good a deal to pass up. Not only was it never winter driven ,it had never been driven in the rain.Great little car that you can live with everyday.If I had to replace it though I would probably look for a Z3. A lighter ,more agile version of the Z4.Lots of low mileage original owner cars out there.A convertible is an absolute must for a summer car.My mom had a 68 Firebird convertible.There’s nothing like cruising with the top down on a spring day.

Yes I'm seeing the trend...it's unfortunate but understandable. I read that the GTI and the 135i w/ the DCT are fantastic.
I wouldn't want to strand the wife somewhere if I need the bigger car and she gets stuck with a car she can't drive.
How I wish I could afford the 328xi wagons...love those things so much.

So I guess the consensus is:

For track handling and enjoyment but low on power: S-2000, Miata, 86/BRZ

Mid price range, good power, good handling, reliable(depends on car/situation), great all round car: S550 mustangs, newer gen camaros, or BMW’s m3

Higher price point, but loads of power, handling, styling but not much room: corvettes C7 also C6 C5 are great as well, newer BMW M3 or M1

If I missed any RWD cars in any category add them in, just what came up with quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

My daily driver in the summer is a 2004 BMW Z4 that I bought three years ago from one of my customers. It only had 20,000 km on it and was too good a deal to pass up. Not only was it never winter driven ,it had never been driven in the rain.Great little car that you can live with everyday.If I had to replace it though I would probably look for a Z3. A lighter ,more agile version of the Z4.Lots of low mileage original owner cars out there.A convertible is an absolute must for a summer car.My mom had a 68 Firebird convertible.There’s nothing like cruising with the top down on a spring day.

Man I love the Z3 and Z4....if I had the cash and space I’d sell the bike so I can keep one as a fun toy. Alas....life gets in the way!

OP, did you mention price range? That will have an impact on your choices. Also whether you intend to track or not, your level of driving skill, ability to DIY repairs, and whether you care about resale value.

Price wise I reckon 30-40K, I don't know if I'll track it but would definitly try, the car would preferably be used to resale value wouldn't be taking a huge hit, I mostly just replace my tires for the winter as DIY rest I haven't dealt with much other than replacing an air-cabin filter or checking the engine bay.

Price wise I reckon 30-40K, I don't know if I'll track it but would definitly try, the car would preferably be used to resale value wouldn't be taking a huge hit, I mostly just replace my tires for the winter as DIY rest I haven't dealt with much other than replacing an air-cabin filter or checking the engine bay.
used GT or SS and call it a day, won't get much more car for that bread.

Might want to consider a 911. The 997-series started around 2004, and an earlier model around that time goes for around $40K.

People have been using them for daily drivers since the previous 996-series.
Do you have experience with their reliability? I checked many times 911s, boxsters and so on, but kind of scary to buy one because it sounds like if it will break then it will require a huge amount of money (especially if it will be occasionally used on a track). For $40k it would be 2005-2007 911.. 12+ years old German car..

Btw, @CriticalCore, if you are not in a rush to buy the car and you will decide to buy a mustang or camaro then you might want to wait until the autumn because you might find a really good deal at that time.

Do you have experience with their reliability? I checked many times 911s, boxsters and so on, but kind of scary to buy one because it sounds like if it will break then it will require a huge amount of money (especially if it will be occasionally used on a track). For $40k it would be 2005-2007 911.. 12+ years old German car..

I had a 996 that I used as a daily driver, which isn't saying much since I put on way more mileage on my motorcycles.

The only problem was a rear main seal leak (common to those cars) that was fixed under warranty. I don't think the 997s suffer from that. Since they went water-cooled, the 911s have been pretty reliable.

I only tracked mine a couple of times, so not sure about the long-term durability. Amazing track car.

Also, it's common knowledge not to take German cars to the dealership after the warranty. I made that (very expensive) mistake, but after discovering how competent and cheaper independent shops are, it makes ownership a bit less painful on the wallet.

Also, it's common knowledge not to take German cars to the dealership after the warranty. I made that (very expensive) mistake, but after discovering how competent and cheaper independent shops are, it makes ownership a bit less painful on the wallet.

perhaps, but you still get hosed on parts. I had a german bike once upon a time, fun ride and good bike overall, but reliability and parts prices were horrendous.

Lesson learned. I'll stick to japanese thanks.

So I guess the consensus is:

For track handling and enjoyment but low on power: S-2000, Miata, 86/BRZ

Mid price range, good power, good handling, reliable(depends on car/situation), great all round car: S550 mustangs, newer gen camaros, or BMW’s m3

Higher price point, but loads of power, handling, styling but not much room: corvettes C7 also C6 C5 are great as well, newer BMW M3 or M1

If I missed any RWD cars in any category add them in, just what came up with quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

shame the OP limited himself to RWD, a Civic TYPE R ticks all the boxes as well. Proper and clever engineering proves that you don't always need a RWD car for great handling.

around town, it drives like your typical docile Civic, but on the track, you will be collecting trophies.

zero reliability worries, just gas and go.

shame the OP limited himself to RWD, a Civic TYPE R ticks all the boxes as well. Proper and clever engineering proves that you don't always need a RWD car for great handling.

around town, it drives like your typical docile Civic, but on the track, you will be collecting trophies.

zero reliability worries, just gas and go.

Great car, but good luck finding that in a 30-40k range. I've been reading a lot of repots in the US about dealers jacking up the MSRP or adding stupid fees / add-ons that up the price by 5-10k over MSRP. Haven't looked at it here as the car is way beyond my budget.

EDIT: Sorry...found one used one....https://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/honda/...howCpo&ncse=no&orup=6_6_6&pc=L5A 3M4&sprx=100

shame the OP limited himself to RWD, a Civic TYPE R ticks all the boxes as well.

To quote a very famous philosopher from Hamilton, "not even with your money".

Daily driver sports car with $30-$40 budget.

I’d say the BRz is an excellent choice and you can chip it for a bump. Or keep it stock and have full warranty. Not that you need it but, its a small and light car with decent power.

If used, the Vette, Mustang isn’t a bad option. Z06? Won’t find a C7 in the budget set.

Before the budget was set, I would have recommended the widebody Hellcat. Assembled in Brampton. 700 HP. Don’t ask it to auto cross but, goes fast and sounds awesome.

Most G37/Z370 are ok too. Finding a clean used example takes patience. Plenty of aftermarket to make it special and bump the power/suspension.

Out of the box, daily driver and don’t care about weather......a regular C7 with manual (auto is technically quicker) would be my pick. But, I don’t think I could put it through rain or winter. I’ve got the family SUV for that duty. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom