Daily sports car? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

I've always wanted to participate on a track in the winter.....it looks like more fun than snow mobiles.
Is there place to go on a regular basis nearby?
I'd buy a car just for this, if it's not a 4hr ride each way.

My car has a mode for everything too. I set the exhaust to track, dash to sport, and suspension is usually on tour, to soften it out a bit.
My ridgeline has a bunch of settings. I scrolled through them day 1, and never touched the button since. Works great in snow, ice as is.

There are many groups/tracks which do winter lapping. Toronto Motorsports Park fb group posts events frequently, SPDA, PADA, Subaru Club.. these were my primary sources for winter events..

Yeah, I used winter/rain mode once and then just switched steering to sport, everying else to normal. And sometimes switching everything to track if I want to have more fun..

RWD, No traction control, tendency to oversteer, high power, general sportscar clearance problems.
Only reason not to drive 'sports cars' in the snow is clearance on bad days, anything else is just baloney.

Also, take a look at the cars I've owned above. I forgot to mention a few others that were also RWD, and when I was young and invulnerable (I'm still cheap), used to drive with bald RE71's in the snow...

OK, let me clarify - I'm assuming your post was aimed specifically at me, not the OP or anyone else.

Only reason not to drive 'sports cars' in the snow is clearance, anything else is just baloney.

Yup. It all comes down to throttle control - sound familiar?

RWD, No traction control, tendency to oversteer, high power, general sportscar clearance problems.
you know, I once was in v8 miata as a passanger.. and it was an amazing experience! yes the driver was the guy who competes in cscs/ota and he clearly knows his car and how to drive it.. but it was just awesome!

Because high powered, noisy, gas guzzling, low, RWD cars with no drivers aids, no creature comforts etc dont make the best daily drivers in summer let alone in our winters. A Vipers fuel economy in the winter will be about 25l/100 km. So figure several hundred $ per month just for gas. It will get old fast.

Also, afaik only Facility might insure a daily driven V8 swapped Miata in our province and I bet one look at it and they will find something to deny it.

Because high powered, noisy, gas guzzling, low, RWD cars with no drivers aids, no creature comforts etc dont make the best daily drivers in summer let alone in our winters. A Vipers fuel economy in the winter will be about 25l/100 km. So figure several hundred $ per month just for gas. It will get old fast.

Also, afaik only Facility might insure a daily driven V8 swapped Miata in our province and I bet one look at it and they will find something to deny it.
don't tell them? /boggle.

I don't believe in it either.
But this is about 'sport' cars, isn't it?
My car is factory equipped with summer only 'sport' tires. They are next to useless in 4C temps, or lower.
With no grip, it can be driven....but there's no point. Exactly like a bike.
You don't see 'sport' cars in this region all yr round for obvious reasons.
Tracks, raceways, dragstrips don't accommodate 'sport' cars in the winter. There's reasons for that.
If you want to call mustangs, etc 'sport' cars.....have at it.
If you really want a new one.....hit me up. Retired from ford. I'll give you one of my 4 family member discounts, cousin.
I'll never use one.

Well, OP is asking about DAILY DRIVEN sports cars. To me daily driven means driven daily regardless of weather. And sports car is very subjective. I've had debates with others over what constitutes a sport car, and nobody has been able to clearly define it.

Just because you have a sports car, doesn't mean you have to drive it like you rented it all the time. Presumably you like the interior as much as the exterior and the performance, so throw some snow tires on and enjoy that baby year round! At least that's how I look at it.

Thanks (sincerely) for the offer, but I'm waiting for the C8, or possibly whichever version they offer in wide body. Too bad you didn't retire form GM! I heard they might be discontinuing the GS - that would be enough for me, don't need the extra power of the Z06. But who knows, that could change after I get it!

don't tell them? /boggle.
I used to think that way until I grew up.

When he mounts a curb in his V8 swapped Miata and hits a couple of people and his insurance company tells him to go pound sand. He gets sued and has to liquidate all his assets to pay the victims.

We arent talking about bolt ons or an exhaust.
Putting an LS motor into a Miata drastically changes its driving dynamics and isnt easy to undo and throw the stock drivetrain back in. In short, your *@#$!^.

I would agree if you were making a generalization based on the average driver. For me, it makes no difference. Self control and experience help. Cost to insure and pay for gas is just money, which someone would need to factor in regardless whether it was parked in the winter or not.

When he mounts a curb in his V8 swapped Miata and hits a couple of people and his insurance company tells him to go pound sand. He gets sued and has to liquidate all his assets to pay the victims.

Putting an LS motor into a Miata drastically changes its driving dynamics and isnt easy to undo and throw the stock drivetrain back in. In short, your *@#$!^.
I used to live my life in theoretical events and then i grew up.

If you're going to drive like a tard and go around hitting people then perhaps you should report it to insurance.

As for the rest;

Years ago I had a friend with a supercharged and heavily modded s2k. He wrapped it around a lamp pole railing in 3rd gear in the rain. Towed it home and pulled everything out and put it back to stock, then reported it to insurance. He made a killing.

Do i condone this? No.

Just making a point that mods (even an engine swap) can be done after the fact.

I would agree if you were making a generalization based on the average driver. For me, it makes no difference. Self control and experience help. Cost to insure and pay for gas is just money, which someone would need to factor in regardless whether it was parked in the winter or not.
I always query why anyone brings up fuel costs for fire breathing vehicles. Seems rather redundant.

Yes, I don't recommend insurance fraud, LOL. But done properly, the driving dynamic doesn't change much (other than being a MUCH faster version of itself):

This V8 Miata is the best car I've driven all year

And on the NC's, from what I can tell, if you made a mistake and realized you really preferred the 4-banger stock drivetrain, you could put it back in because nothing was irreversibly modified. But who would???

You know, we're getting way off topic - something tells me the OP isn't interested in a v8 Miata or a Viper to drive in the snow, so lets get back to giving him some relevant info!

And yes, I realize it's probably my fault for bringing it up in the first place... Still, $42k for a Type R??? Nevermind that the OP's price RANGE was 30-40.

And yes, I realize it's probably my fault for bringing it up in the first place... Still, $42k for a Type R??? Nevermind that the OP's price RANGE was 30-40.

worth every dollar, and likely will be able to sell it in a few years when he tires of it for near sticker. Try that with a 4 year old bmw.

Before dealer mark ups, nuts.

Used 17 and 18 Type Rs are selling for well over 90% of MSRP. In the US they are selling at 100% of msrp.
That should tell you something. The fact is you could buy a new one, keep the km low by only driving it 6 months a year and turn around and sell it for 30-35K several years down the road. Dont knock it because "its a Honda" or "omg a Civic".

Back
Top Bottom