Covid shank | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid shank

x2.

"couldn't get food for up to 15 hours at a time overnight"

OMFG......this is what they have their panties in a twist about? Not being able to get room service from 6pm to 9AM? And the fact that the hotels are actually setup properly for the potential biohazards they are? I'm sorry, last I checked humans are capable of going without food for 15 hours - a lot of us kinda do it all the time - it's called "after dinner to breakfast".

The medical care thing, sure, valid concern, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps that issue is being described out of context to reality, all things considering with the story thus far.

Let me break out my tiny violin.

why don't you go and bring her back across the wee pond?

And why the heck is it on the stands in NY?
I left it there in the fall of 2019, my club had no space on the hard and I didn’t want to leave her over bubbles. Getting to Rochester isn’t as easy as you might think. Land border closed, both Canada and the USA are track marine traffic, my dinghy would show up on radar.

I’m trying to arrange an open water rendezvous, problem is CBP is closed to the idea.

Road shipping is cost prohibitive. I’m working on a solution. Maybe I’ll just steam her to Florida.

how big is it?
I can park a couple of groms on the swim platform. Not too big for the lake, too big for the highway.

I can park a couple of groms on the swim platform. Not too big for the lake, too big for the highway.
alrighty, i'm friends with the owners of a few logistic companies who owe me a few.

but if it's not even going to fit on the QEW then yeah, not much help.

What are the legalities of aiming it north and hopping off? They get off well on the US side, you climb on well on the canadian side. You never came within a thousand feet of the vaccinated horde.

What are the legalities of aiming it north and hopping off? They get off well on the US side, you climb on well on the canadian side. You never came within a thousand feet of the vaccinated horde.
The problem is tracking. The current prohibition covers recreational travel - boats are prohibited from sailing from the us to Canada period.

You have to report to CBP, then quarantine. I don’t know whether they would go fir an autopilot story even if it was true.

I guess I could Bob around the lake in Canadian waters for 2 weeks on a marine quarantine.

Road shipping is cost prohibitive. I’m working on a solution. Maybe I’ll just steam her to Florida.

We've always used Andrews in NOTL, best guys in the business IMO. But that special equipment does come at a price. If you get them on a return run its better, Rochester to TO is about 4,500. If a flybridge/arch needs to come off your into another grand on the US side. That bites.

When a 60ft sailboat needed to come home from San Diego it was transport, pickup truck in front towing flat deck with the keel on it, mini van with lights following , 6 people for 5 days , best part of 30K.

@madmike, there is a ton of storage in Dalhousie and Harbour west Hamilton, and over in Bath ont. And its all in Ontario. You could put a US licensed delivery captain on it, then its not recreational boating, they can come into Canada, still going to ding you 5K to cross lake ontario.

The problem is tracking. The current prohibition covers recreational travel - boats are prohibited from sailing from the us to Canada period.

You have to report to CBP, then quarantine. I don’t know whether they would go fir an autopilot story even if it was true.

I guess I could Bob around the lake in Canadian waters for 2 weeks on a marine quarantine.
What essential goods are needed from I'm assuming, Rochester? Something that has to be gently stirred en route.

In an "At any cost" scenario, if you hired someone to sail it across, it technically isn't recreational. It's little different than the border hoppers that take the heli flights to Buffalo and have their cars shipped via carrier. I'm not sure about the crew and quarantine regulations and how the US shipping crew would get back. Sixty miles back across the lake in the dingy doesn't sound wise.

Does the US forbid a departure or is the problem on the Canadian side? The "My rights" people seem to have no problem border hopping and how long would you have to quarantine?

This dream crushing monster has taken a year out of our lives and it looks like another one about to dock. For some people there were windows of opportunity that got closed forever. Seeing an aging relative one more time etc.

I met a guy at a boat auction once and my minor knowledge was greater than his. I ended up talking him out of buying a boat. Later I learned that his wife had terminal cancer and they wanted something to share for the summer. They would have been lumped together with someone that was going to lose a few golf games.

We've always used Andrews in NOTL, best guys in the business IMO. But that special equipment does come at a price. If you get them on a return run its better, Rochester to TO is about 4,500. If a flybridge/arch needs to come off your into another grand on the US side. That bites.

When a 60ft sailboat needed to come home from San Diego it was transport, pickup truck in front towing flat deck with the keel on it, mini van with lights following , 6 people for 5 days , best part of 30K.

@madmike, there is a ton of storage in Dalhousie and Harbour west Hamilton, and over in Bath ont. And its all in Ontario. You could put a US licensed delivery captain on it, then its not recreational boating, they can come into Canada, still going to ding you 5K to cross lake ontario.
Similar thoughts but you punched the send button first. That boat coming from San Diego must have been a logistics nightmare, plotting bridge heights, power lines, trees etc. I dealt with the Ontario MOT once on an over-height shipment from Rexdale to Guelph and they were able to plot a route.

On the 60 footer did the five days include the return for the crew? Usually those loads are banned in certain hours so you can't do 24/7.

x2.

"couldn't get food for up to 15 hours at a time overnight"

OMFG......this is what they have their panties in a twist about? Not being able to get room service from 6pm to 9AM? And the fact that the hotels are actually setup properly for the potential biohazards they are? I'm sorry, last I checked humans are capable of going without food for 15 hours - a lot of us kinda do it all the time - it's called "after dinner to breakfast".

The medical care thing, sure, valid concern, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps that issue is being described out of context to reality, all things considering with the story thus far.

Let me break out my tiny violin.

I don't really care about the border hopper but I respect food. If those pictures were not fudged the person preparing the boxes isn't fit for his/her job. While I don't have any respect for the self centred border hoppers that want to golf in Palm Springs I don't want to lower my standards in how I treat people.

If it simplified things I would have no problem with the hotel being stocked with military MRE's, eat as much as you want any time you want. Just stack them neatly, don't deliver them in a garbage bag. The fifteen hour fast is promoted as a healthy choice. I haven't researched it but dinner dessert at 6:00 PM and breakfast at 9:00 AM doesn't sound all that tough.

I can see the overseers becoming cynical and treating everyone the same, ignoring that some quarantinees were in forced situations. Equality rules say that the person who could lose his/her entire life assets if they didn't tend to a legal matter gets treated the same as a self indulgent golfer.

A person needing medical treatment should get it. If they are faking, reset the quarantine clock. But that would require balls on the part of the government.

Similar thoughts but you punched the send button first. That boat coming from San Diego must have been a logistics nightmare, plotting bridge heights, power lines, trees etc. I dealt with the Ontario MOT once on an over-height shipment from Rexdale to Guelph and they were able to plot a route.

On the 60 footer did the five days include the return for the crew? Usually those loads are banned in certain hours so you can't do 24/7.
I’m going to wait a while, missing another season won’t be a killer. I’d rather sink the $5k into a repower, add the $10k in fuel and docking I’ll save by leaving her dry could make the following years a bit more carefree.

lots to ponder.

@nobbie48 , the 5 days was just getting it one way, they went to Chicago from here empty and backhauled a GL70 back to Diego. They were slow getting over the mountains but made amazing time coming through the midwest. Guys doing this are complete proffessionals , since all they move are boats , have routes , know the permits. Its pretty stress free for the owner, you just need to pay a huge bill and move forward happy with life choices LOL.

Looks like our summer will be a repeat of last year, even lake ontario cruising will be a condensed version, we were planning to sail/race in Youngstown (across the river from NOTL) but the Americans as @madmike pointed out dont like us in there water. Few distance races may fit on the calendar if things stay safe. We aren't out of the wood yet..

@nobbie48 , the 5 days was just getting it one way, they went to Chicago from here empty and backhauled a GL70 back to Diego. They were slow getting over the mountains but made amazing time coming through the midwest. Guys doing this are complete proffessionals , since all they move are boats , have routes , know the permits. Its pretty stress free for the owner, you just need to pay a huge bill and move forward happy with life choices LOL.

Looks like our summer will be a repeat of last year, even lake ontario cruising will be a condensed version, we were planning to sail/race in Youngstown (across the river from NOTL) but the Americans as @madmike pointed out dont like us in there water. Few distance races may fit on the calendar if things stay safe. We aren't out of the wood yet..
Right now a canoe is about the only boat on my horizon. The one I built has been in the water once and I don't know what the parks will be like but I assume crowded. I like building and messing around just as much so building a lapstrake lightweight could take my mind off things for a month or two or three.

Disaster option 1) Covid-19 version 3 has us under lock and key for another year.

Disaster option 2) Covid-19 magically disappears and every square inch of every venue of pleasure is swamped. "Prohibition has ended and let's all get drunk" mentality

Back
Top Bottom