Covid era motorcycle adventure options. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid era motorcycle adventure options.

A/C revised policy due to outrage for March 1 to June 30 cancelled flights. Still no chance at a refund but vouchers don't have a two year expiry date. That's much better but still sucks. If A/C cancels the flight, the money should be refunded. Who knows if A/C will last until you can use the voucher? Will you want to fly in the foreseeable future with ticket prices doubled? Airlines need ~75 to 78% capacity filled to break even in the old reality. As planes likely won't be nearly that full, prices need to rise to compensate.

they aren't ....reality rules. Ticket prices are LOWER than in Feb.

Millions of savings in staff pay, huge drop in fuel costs and for a year they won't care

they aren't ....reality rules. Ticket prices are LOWER than in Feb.

Millions of savings in staff pay, huge drop in fuel costs and for a year they won't care

Where can you go right now where you won’t need to quarantine when there and you won’t need to quarantine when you return?

timtune.....I have only sledded the big loop in that area. Senneterre - Clova- Parent- Chibougamou - back. No cell service in spots, a little bit like the wild west. They had to plow 100 miles of road to get gas to the Buzzard (neat place that survived a huge fire years ago) in February. I would think the sled trail would be a 4 wheel trail in the summer. Every gas stop is 100 plus miles. Good luck!

.... I would think the sled trail would be a 4 wheel trail in the summer....
Not a safe assumption to make, lots of snowmobile trails exist where the land owners do not want quads tearing up their land under any circumstances. Huge difference between letting snowmobiles ride your snow covered land and having quads rip the snot out of your property, those things are even more destructive then a horse trail.

Not a safe assumption to make, lots of snowmobile trails exist where the land owners do not want quads tearing up their land under any circumstances. Huge difference between letting snowmobiles ride your snow covered land and having quads rip the snot out of your property, those things are even more destructive then a horse trail.
And their riders are bigger aholes. My parents have a snowmobile trail across their property (as requested by local sled club). Year one, four wheelers roamed the woods and made a mess. Year two signs went up prohibiting summer use, same result as year one. Year three, signs stated, chain across the trail (with flags, not trying to kill anyone here), same results as year one. Sled club said "well we tried" so my parents revoked winter usage as well. Sled club suddenly had interest in fixing the problem and installed a proper gate at each side. Finally stopped the idiots.

pretty sure many places will still have quarantine in effect then, especially if second waves start or intensify.
While I'm not convinced the two week quarantine is very effective at this point (virus is everywhere already) I think it will be one of the last things lifted. It is a way for a government to say to the citizens and the rest of the world that they are taking things seriously while minimally impacting their own population. It always tends of a potentially crapshow if another wave develops as you dont have thousands of (uninsured) foreign nationals to deal with.

That brings up another interesting question. For those thinking about travelling outside of the country, I assume all medical policies exempt covid. Are you rolling the dice or is there a way to get insured?

While I'm not convinced the two week quarantine is very effective at this point (virus is everywhere already) I think it will be one of the last things lifted. It is a way for a government to say to the citizens and the rest of the world that they are taking things seriously while minimally impacting their own population. It always tends of a potentially crapshow if another wave develops as you dont have thousands of (uninsured) foreign nationals to deal with.

That brings up another interesting question. For those thinking about travelling outside of the country, I assume all medical policies exempt covid. Are you rolling the dice or is there a way to get insured?

The travel forums I’m on have the same questions as most covid related issues negate the coverage. Regardless, I’m very glad my credit card has cancellation insurance with it as it was reassuring when I was in Costa Rica at the beginning of March when things were unfolding quickly. I need to check what ammendments they have made to that now though.

In mid-September I want to ride to BC, then down the coast and back home. I'm not going if I can't get proper medical insurance and will also be monitoring the situation to see how any sort or second wave develops. For all I know it might be fine or I might even have troubles riding to BC and back within Canada. I'll still plan the trip and wait til September to make a game time decision.
My wife was going to fly out to BC and then ride the coast and fly from from somewhere near LA, but that also depends on what's what.

Hey Shane, normally I'm an optimist and try to see the best outcome, though checking the trip planning>americas reports on ADVrider, I'm now thinking if going anywhere near the US is doable in 2020, perhaps not till 2021. Since each state has different regulations, there are posts of small communities barricading their towns themselves not allowing people to go, checkpoints checking your address etc... Similar withing canada, some places in the NWT have a mandatory 2 week quarantine for any outsiders. I think the issues maybe, lets say one just gets an ordinary flu, you could be stuck for a while, or say a second wave comes and they start closing things down again mid-trip, it will be a rush to get back home somehow. I'm taking it day by day, though its starting to look like week by week, and now month by month, and stretching to year by year sadly.

I was planning Alaska, that's out. Alberta and BC I may do, or just sit tight and explore Ontario, maybe do the James Bay Hwy and go out east really slow, just being glad we in Canada are at-least allowed to ride, and have a large enough country to roam free, and perhaps save up for 2021 and keep money in our economy.

Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post COVID-19 FAQ/A... - some posts that talk about US/Can travel

Hey Shane, normally I'm an optimist and try to see the best outcome, though checking the trip planning>americas reports on ADVrider, I'm now thinking if going anywhere near the US is doable in 2020, perhaps not till 2021. Since each state has different regulations, there are posts of small communities barricading their towns themselves not allowing people to go, checkpoints checking your address etc... Similar withing canada, some places in the NWT have a mandatory 2 week quarantine for any outsiders. I think the issues maybe, lets say one just gets an ordinary flu, you could be stuck for a while, or say a second wave comes and they start closing things down again mid-trip, it will be a rush to get back home somehow. I'm taking it day by day, though its starting to look like week by week, and now month by month, and stretching to year by year sadly.

I was planning Alaska, that's out. Alberta and BC I may do, or just sit tight and explore Ontario, maybe do the James Bay Hwy and go out east really slow, just being glad we in Canada are at-least allowed to ride, and have a large enough country to roam free, and perhaps save up for 2021 and keep money in our economy.

Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post COVID-19 FAQ/A... - some posts that talk about US/Can travel
Also with canadian dollar in the crapper, the US portion of the trip is likely much more expensive than it would have been last year. Not so bad if you are camping and buying groceries, but if you like hotels and restaurants it will sting.

The dollar is not that big a difference...it's been sitting around 72 cents and it was 74-75.
Fuel and food is cheaper in the US especially since Shane tends to eat cheap and motels definitely less expensive. By Sept it will be very different - I don't see an issue with planning a road trip for then.

July is iffy for cross border to the US tho might be okay for anywhere in Canada.

Already is for heading west
There are no travel restrictions from B.C. to Ontario, however provincial health officials are asking residents to avoid non-essential travel within and outside their home province.

Quebec is sort of open but further east no.

The UK is starting to post notices about online at home post secondary schooling for the entire academic year. We are moving online for the Fall term, my feeling is that winter will be similar. We are far from done with the pandemic and September isn’t that far away in viral transmission terms. I hope I’m wrong.

I had 3 trips planned this year that involved going south.
Maggie Valley NC for a week...4 days in Ohio...and a Gananoque / Alexandria Bay weekend.
I'd like to believe that the borders will open... I don't think there will be a 2-week quarantine upon return.
Now if I don't see any progress with the border opening come Aug 1st then I'm hopeful that Canada wide is open.
If this is the case then ill be trucking her to Calgary and spend 10 days in the Kamloops area exploring and then riding back.
Once I have determined where I am going I will deal with the travel insurance.

If the borders do open I have no problems going south.
I took a small group along the Niagara Pky this weekend and was surrounded by more people than I would see in a whole week at Maggie Valley.
I have no problem traveling and practicing social distancing wherever I go and would continue to do so.
I'm actually pretty used to washing my hands all the time :)

I can't really do anything about the dollar...I did 9 trips south last year and also had to deal with it then.
I really do hope things change for the better...standing trying to eat a burger with one hand was really starting to get old.
On a bright point...chip wagon in Dunnville now has there tables out so you can sit.

IMG-20200516-151519.jpg

IMG-20200523-155619.jpg

The place across from Higher Ground at the Forks also has tables including nice ones in the shade in the back yard. They make a good latte and will bring sandwiches etc out to you. Having lunch there today.

I suspect Higher Ground will get some tables in play....so far it has been window serve and lots of riders standing around.
IMG_1252 copy.jpg

I am down for a trip to Chisasibi towards the end of the summer. I am thinking about going alone, but I would prefer going with a group.

Pardon me if this has already come up in another thread, but are public bathrooms opening up anywhere yet? My range is somewhat limited without them

Back
Top Bottom