Covid era motorcycle adventure options. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid era motorcycle adventure options.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Aside from planning trips in Canada I've been offsetting this lousy weather with exploring potential adventures.

For about $2000 including flight and Vstrom rental Iceland seems accessible fpr a week to 10 days. $700 for the flight

1589829512743.png

and there will be loads of AirBnB available. Iceland is usually awash in tourists but this might be a good year.

It's so far north that it's just about 24 hour light in June. 10 days would be ideal. Roads are good and well marked, there are traffic cameras.

Got a spare $2k from gov largesse....might be fun. We enjoyed Iceland ...both the brief two day glimpse and the 2 weeks in January ( it's not that cold ...was warmer than Toronto ).
Would like to go in June. Apparently there is a way to ship your own bike but I think a rental more practical. It's a well run country and the biggest issue is the hordes of tourists ...this may be the one year that's not an issue.

Check into quarantine requirements, both for arriving in Iceland and coming back to Canada. These will still be in effect through the first part of June at a minimum.

I still have a planned trip to Spain on the books for end of August / first week of September. As far as I am concerned, the existence of a quarantine in either direction might as well be a prohibition on travel.

Of course ...quarantine coming back is no issue for me. But I expect more open skies for some destinations by mid June ....likely riding The James Bay mid June anyways.

looks like an interesting option
beautiful country and safe, well governed

the suggested tours are kind of amusing
8 day trip around the island perimeter
average of 300 km a day
with one rest day
WTF is there to rest-up from ??

but still an interesting and safe option
5 1/2 hour flight in a mask is do-able

Interesting.

Too bad all the rentals are tall however... I don't think my wife would have any chance in hell of being able to even touch the ground from the seat of any of those options.

average of 300 km a day

I guess it caters to the casual rider crowd as opposed to the hard core riders, but then again, Iceland is only, what, 1000KM across at it's widest? I suppose if you were riding 600+KM days you'd run out of roads fairly quickly.

I'm guessing that with the scenery there's a ton of stopping to smell the roses and click off 50000 photos as well.

Out of the blue I asked my wife if she wanted to go to Iceland and ride motorcycles.

She excitedly said "Uh, yes!?".

tx9ek.jpg

Hehe .....they may have a low seat for one of the BMWs. I was concerned about that as well with my 30" in seam the Vstrom was always a bit tall even with good boots.
Roads are good and you are not allowed on the F series roads on a rental. Lots to see and do.

I realize this is more about overseas trips, but my wife and I were talking today that it would be really nice this summer to go for a ride up to Manic Cinq and Lac St Jean along the north shore of the St. Lawrence. Especially if overseas travel is not allowed or easy to get travel insurance for.

thanks for this.
I will for sure keep this as a bucket list item.

It’s an interesting place to visit. Good and drink can be pricey. Very safe, friendly people and tons of things to see and do. Weather changes ever 5 minutes.

I spent a couple of months there in 1999, the company I worked for invested in an Icelandic startup in the PC fax business. You better enjoy fish, mutton and horse meat if you are a carnivore.

I realize this is more about overseas trips

It's not Shane ...it's about acheivable trips this summer and so good Canadian adventures should be covered. I'm more likely to do The James Bay Road in mid June ...already have a motel scoped out.
Iceland popped up as one of the few over seas trips that could occur in the next 3 months that I WOULD consider ....not going to the US, not going to Europe....could do New Zealand but getting to Australia first is #1 ....even have a ticket.

If you are going up the St Lawrence Parc Mauricie is a must do. La Mauricie National Park fantastic riding on a quiet day....

Thanks for posting that. There are some pretty sweet roads to get to and from Lac St Jean and I've been told that the 381 is one the very best anywhere: Baie-Saint-Paul to Saguenay
Keep going up to Alma, great rock riding in Alma just below the hydro dam (y) they held a world round there once.

no US riding for a while yet .

I'm even putting off travel to Quebec for the time being as their Covid numbers are still worst in the country. I was considering riding the Gaspe this summer but not so sure now. I work with vulnerable seniors so I have to be extra careful about where I go and what I do for now.

Iceland has always been a bucket list for me. $2000 is a fair price. Add lodging and food and entry to various tourist traps though and I bet the price hits $3500 quick. Would still be a heck of an adventure! I hear Iceland is one of the few places in the world with NO mosquitoes! Wouldn't that be nice in June for a change!

I was thinking a northern quebec gravel tour would be just right. Easy to find lots of stealth camping spots.

Back
Top Bottom