Covid economy non real estate | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid economy non real estate

Dad emailed some dude on Kijiji for a $75 metal bender.

- would you take $50?
- no. I’ve had 2 offers now so it means it’s in demand. Price just went to $100
- thanks but no thanks
A hilarious opposite for me.

I wanted to play around with a DC variable speed motor for a power tool and I saw a suggestion using the drive from an old treadmill. They can go cheap especially if they need a belt.

I found one on Kijiji for $60 and we emailed a few Q&As. I arranged to look at it and probably buy it today. I got an email from the sellers wife early this morning saying that her husband was concerned about the belt and I could have it for free.

When I arrived he demonstrated it, helped me take it to the car and load it. It was what I expected and went to give him the money and he refused.

Here take $60 it's worth it to me.

No that's too much

Then take $40

OK but only $20

He walked away and as I was getting into the car he came back and wanted to give me back the $20.

I convinced him to keep the $20 and buy something for his son.

It's home and I will feel bad about gutting it.

So what are we putting the DC vs motor on ??

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I'm thinking about my milling machine. Right now a speed change means a lot of belt flipping.

Another thought was to have a variable speed on the wood cutting bandsaw so I could slow it down 75% to cut metal.

There are some YouTube videos I have to follow up on.

Had a phone call from a customer today. The availability of certain common industrial components is not getting better. The problem at hand is the inability to get a suitable (correct ratings for the motor) AllenBradley PowerFlex variable-speed motor drive with ethernet I/O, which has led to substitutions running out of stock as well. The question at hand was whether they could use a Mitsubishi drive with a lower safety rating in their particular application (they could), because they can get that one, but not the one with the highest safety rating (fortunately not needed in their specific application). And evidently Mitsubishi only had a few left as of this morning. AllenBradley is out of stock worldwide, of the configuration that they needed.

It appears that there is a certain chip involved in industrial ethernet interfaces, which practically everyone uses, and which you can't get right now.

We need a 220v 2ton chain hoist , none available in North America, can get a 110v , but the cable to the crane is 220 and there are two hoists and we can’t pull a 110 leg . Life is hard .

Nobie , I have a VS dc motor of my wee metal lathe that works pretty well . I don’t know enough about machining to know what’s good .
I’m looking for a small bench top milling machine to make some widgets if anyone has a lead .

We need a 220v 2ton chain hoist , none available in North America, can get a 110v , but the cable to the crane is 220 and there are two hoists and we can’t pull a 110 leg . Life is hard .

Nobie , I have a VS dc motor of my wee metal lathe that works pretty well . I don’t know enough about machining to know what’s good .
I’m looking for a small bench top milling machine to make some widgets if anyone has a lead .

Simple fix for that. If it's in an industrial building there's a good chance the circuit is dedicated to the hoist. If so, go to the fuse panel, then swing the white wire from its breaker to the ground busbar - voila, 120V.

If you need 220v 2 ton, they are available, my kid sells them. We installed a Milwaukee 9570, it cost us about $4K for the unit.

See thats the problem , not in a building , in a yard 150ft from panel , two motors up there , both were 220v , now one may have to be 110. I'm intersted in specs on the Milwaukee, can it hang outdoors and can it accomodate a 40ft chain drop. I think thats what making it so hard for the hoisting engineers .
RW Hoist systems in stoney creek is working on it. Nothing is easy retrofitting 40yr old stuff .

See thats the problem , not in a building , in a yard 150ft from panel , two motors up there , both were 220v , now one may have to be 110. I'm intersted in specs on the Milwaukee, can it hang outdoors and can it accomodate a 40ft chain drop. I think thats what making it so hard for the hoisting engineers .
RW Hoist systems in stoney creek is working on it. Nothing is easy retrofitting 40yr old stuff .
Have you tried Overhead Cranes in Burlington? It looks like they may be associated with Konecranes now.

We have and thank you , apparently because this thing sits outside . 40ft ish off the ground and uses a single chain that collects at the top in a basket its some sort of oddball.
The engineering firm that put new swing bearings in it last year have declined any further service, nobody wants to deal with warranty repairs with a genie lift every time and wiring that may have been installed while Edison was alive.

A complete new unit was 70K , 2 yrs ago , but no.... we are $55k into refurbing this giant turd, and should be well past 70k by the time its all back together. Management by committee .

Any chance of stepping down the 240 to 120 at the hoist end. It would eliminate the voltage drop associated with the lower voltage?

I have one of those mini lathes as well. At about 300 watts it removes metal about as fast as a 3/8" drill. My Busy Bee vertical mill has 1 HP.

For some reason there seems to be a shortage of cinnamon. I ran out and the only stuff I could find had next to no flavour.

My wife commented that there were some old cinnamon sticks 10 years?? in the cupboard. I filed one a bit and there was lots of aroma so I took a piece of stainles and machined it on the lathe to fit a carbide burr. Now I can make my own and it's far better than the store stuff. Powered by a cordless drill.

A single-phase step-down transformer may be a viable choice. Probably worth a call to a local electrical supplier. Minor digging reveals that this solution is going to cost something, but if this is what it takes to get it going ...

Previously-mentioned customer who had been looking for several 7.5hp AllenBradley PowerFlex VFDs with ethernet control, ended up ordering two 10hp and the rest 7.5hp Mitsubishi ethernet-enabled VFDs. Couldn't even get them all the same even though the motors are all the same ... supplier didn't have enough in stock (in Vancouver). The Mitsubishi drives are a deviation from end-user customer spec ... "do you want us to follow specs, or do you want to get your machine?" Lots of that is happening lately.

One of the kids daycare ECE's is hurting bad. In 2021 she had a death in the family and needed three weeks off as covid went through the family. She rents well outside of Barrie. She can't reasonably lower her rent. She has a crap car and doesn't have any obvious vices that evaporate money. She is trying to sell old school books and furniture to get some money. She posted a gfm to try to get caught up as the landlord drew a line at the end of april. She needs thousands. I did what I could but only got her about 10% of the way. Her desperation is increasing daily. Bad credit, no access to loans, middle aged and about to become homeless. Fack. I'm not in the position to save her. I've loaned people money before to get them past a blip when I believed they could repay but I don't think she would ever be in a position to repay a loan that big and I don't have that much to write off. It's like watching someone slowly drown. It's bleeping awful.

I found that Rockwell Automation (a.k.a. AllenBradley) has a webpage that discusses their supply-chain and delivery-time situation.

Click the "View the lead times now" button.

For the non industrially oriented ...

The ControlLogix, CompactLogix, and GuardLogix components are PLCs (programmable logic controllers) which are used for controlling the sequencing of equipment. "When input 1 (operator start button) is pressed and emergency-stop is clear and guard-permissive is clear and part-presence is true then initiate auto cycle. Step 1 fire this air cylinder and wait until sensor X input goes high. Step 2 turn on motor contactor A." and so forth. That sort of thing is what it does. They are everywhere, and all but the simplest automated processes and equipment can't function without them. Six months delivery. "180+" basically means they don't know when they'll get them.

The I/O (input-output) modules are how those PLC components interface with wired components (valve solenoids, relays, motor contactors, sensors, etc). Can't get those for a long time, either.

A PanelView is a touchscreen operator interface. It's how operators interact with the equipment. Shows the status of sensors and processes, includes "buttons" for turning things on and off, etc. Pretty hard for all but the simplest equipment to function without those.

A Kinetix servo drive is the control unit for a servo motor - it's a type of electric motor, but one with high position accuracy. A regular motor just "spins". A servo motor is "go to position XXX" or "follow this motion profile". This is the type of motor that allows a robot to move its arm in a precisely controlled path, or a CNC machine to operate its tools and spindles following precise paths and so forth.

The PowerFlex drives are the ones I posted about before. Those are for operating a regular AC motor, but instead of the motor speed being (almost) locked to 60 Hz AC frequency, they can operate the motor at whatever speed you want, and they can ramp the speed up or down smoothly instead of starting with a big jolt and coasting forever to a stop the way a motor locked to line frequency does.

One of the kids daycare ECE's is hurting bad. In 2021 she had a death in the family and needed three weeks off as covid went through the family. She rents well outside of Barrie. She can't reasonably lower her rent. She has a crap car and doesn't have any obvious vices that evaporate money. She is trying to sell old school books and furniture to get some money. She posted a gfm to try to get caught up as the landlord drew a line at the end of april. She needs thousands. I did what I could but only got her about 10% of the way. Her desperation is increasing daily. Bad credit, no access to loans, middle aged and about to become homeless. Fack. I'm not in the position to save her. I've loaned people money before to get them past a blip when I believed they could repay but I don't think she would ever be in a position to repay a loan that big and I don't have that much to write off. It's like watching someone slowly drown. It's bleeping awful.

It's tough when there is no chance of the person getting back on their feet financially. In some cases bankruptcy is the kindness answer.

We had a friend in the situation and any money they would get from friends went to the bank with no chance of recovering any of it. Bankruptcy puts an end to the suction and after the dust settles money they get from friends can help them rebuild.

If there are sentimental items that friends can buy and keep out of the auction system they can be returned later. Sad and messy.

It's tough when there is no chance of the person getting back on their feet financially. In some cases bankruptcy is the kindness answer.

We had a friend in the situation and any money they would get from friends went to the bank with no chance of recovering any of it. Bankruptcy puts an end to the suction and after the dust settles money they get from friends can help them rebuild.

If there are sentimental items that friends can buy and keep out of the auction system they can be returned later. Sad and messy.
Maybe. I dont know the details but I assume we are looking at almost no assets (crap car and some furniture) and less than 10k in liabilities. Technically insolvent but the reset wouldnt be large. Problem is life is expensive as a single parent and daycare doesnt pay well. Sadly picked the wrong stream for an easy life decades ago.

Edit:

Given the absolutely appalling control over cerb/crb she could probably apply for past dates to fix her current problem and maybe even put some cash in a box. Chance of a fraud charge is low. When the govt rightfully ask for their money back pull the plug then. Start over with a box of cash to give you a head start. Not sure if that debt would survive bankruptcy though. Probably does as the government hates losing (but has no problem giving away with no control or restraint).

Last edited:
Sadly Greyghost , your acquaintance is one of hundreds if not thousands of people living on the edge . Often through no fault of thier own, and often completely thier own fault , people end up in shite situations .
It sucks , and it’s really sad when you know them personally and would like to see them get clear. Often they just fall down the same well two years later.

Maybe. I dont know the details but I assume we are looking at almost no assets (crap car and some furniture) and less than 10k in liabilities. Technically insolvent but the reset wouldnt be large. Problem is life is expensive as a single parent and daycare doesnt pay well. Sadly picked the wrong stream for an easy life decades ago.

Edit:

Given the absolutely appalling control over cerb/crb she could probably apply for past dates to fix her current problem and maybe even put some cash in a box. Chance of a fraud charge is low. When the govt rightfully ask for their money back pull the plug then. Start over with a box of cash to give you a head start. Not sure if that debt would survive bankruptcy though. Probably does as the government hates losing (but has no problem giving away with no control or restraint).

The solutions seem easy but life isn't. Single parent to how many, what ages and complications IE spectrum issues. Assitance from the ex, family or friends to allow a part time job?

My wife used to see people declaring bankruptcy over twenty thousand dollars. It's an easy out but the bankruptcy never goes 100% away. Flipping burgers part time for a year would clear the $10K debt but, again there may be other issues.

A late buddy split with his wife and ended up going into the hole. He tried on-line gambling to make money. Yeah right, all he won was a shovel to dig a deeper hole. He passed away leaving a mess for his new lady friend to clear up. She was smart eneough to financially distance herself from him.

It's unfortunate that some very responsible jobs don't pay well.

She needs a long term financial forecast. There is no sense in a bulk bail out if her cash flow is negative. She will just end up in debt again.

A lot of people have trouble seeing financial reality. I don't know if it's that they have never been taught, are dillusional or incapable. IMO determining the root cause is step 1 but that gets really personal which leads to more involvement than might be desired.

A piece of paper and a pencil with eraser is the starting point. List all assets including available time and skills. List all debts including physical and personality traits. List all ongoing expenses. List future expenses like car repair or replacement. Then add and subtract. Then jiggle and erase and jiggle again.

The hardest part in many cases is the person doesn't have the 24/7 moral support. Someone that says "You can do it".

When you've been beaten down for a long time it's hard to get back into the breech. Is she a Leaf's fan?

Sadly Greyghost , your acquaintance is one of hundreds if not thousands of people living on the edge . Often through no fault of thier own, and often completely thier own fault , people end up in shite situations .
It sucks , and it’s really sad when you know them personally and would like to see them get clear. Often they just fall down the same well two years later.

My numbers are pulled out of a hat but 98% of the world's wealth is controlled by the 2%.

If all the wealth in the world was redistributed equally to every individual, everyone would get between $20 K and $50 K, depending on your source of info.

My prediction is that in a year 75% of the wealth would be in 25% of the hands and in less than ten years it would be 95 / 5.

Back
Top Bottom