COVID and the housing market | Page 310 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

I’d love the whole story on that BC house , 450k in interest was paid in 6 months so there is some cash somewhere.
Getting 8m on a 4m house from a “ securities and mortgage co” ? Someone is getting fired or retiring.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’d love the whole story on that BC house , 450k in interest was paid in 6 months so there is some cash somewhere.
Getting 8m on a 4m house from a “ securities and mortgage co” ? Someone is getting fired or retiring.

The other loans were probably paying the interest. They thought they could do a quick flip and when the market crapped itself ended up underwater.

Its an ambitious flip , I'm still wondering how you get to 8m on a 4m property, I read the part about pulling same day mortgages, but even so , a lot of cash changed hands really quickly

Its an ambitious flip , I'm still wondering how you get to 8m on a 4m property, I read the part about pulling same day mortgages, but even so , a lot of cash changed hands really quickly
It's about half principal and half interest. Pull an 80% mortgage at a super high interest rate and don't make payments. If you are assigning a risk of 24% to a mortgage, you know you are dealing with something super shady. Lenders may get at least most of their capital back and just lose out on their ridiculous interest.

I just saw some development charge numbers for a proposed condo townhouse development replacing a single family home.

Town: $49K
Region: $68k
Go-transit: $705
School Board: $5k

Rates increase twice a year and charges are payable at building permit issuance. That means the builder is carrying a loan of $123k per unit during the entire construction. None of the entities getting the money have incurred any related expenses at that point (separate application fees cover review of documents). A simple solution to making housing more affordable would be pushing DC's to occupancy or closing so the interest on that loan doesn't get tacked onto the house price. It should be noted that no go-train services this municipality and buyers of these houses likely would use go-transit anyway.

Unless your a large builder in the Oakville/Milton area whos name starts with an M . Then you apply for the permits while the footings are being poured and the municipalilty (Oakville) lets it happen, every week. Money talks.

Unless your a large builder in the Oakville/Milton area whos name starts with an M . Then you apply for the permits while the footings are being poured and the municipalilty (Oakville) lets it happen, every week. Money talks.
Lots of highrises are tens of floors out of the ground before below-grade permits are granted. Don't even ask about above-grade permit timing. I suspect that is partly a workaround to delay the giant cheque when you have hundreds of units at over 100k each. Instead of fixing the policy, people sidestep it which is worse for everybody.

Interesting. I've seen a few listings get fully disappeared recently. All pictures, description, asking price, and everything else removed when listing gets terminated. Even if you have the listing number, it just comes up as no longer available. Not sure if agents can see more? I know I had an agent check on an older listing that had been purged and they couldn't see anything beyond what was public (which wasn't much) other than the RE agent name. I assume property will relist in the future and unless someone has been watching for a while, they can't use previous asking price to help them decide on their offer or what the seller is hoping for.

Interesting. I've seen a few listings get fully disappeared recently. All pictures, description, asking price, and everything else removed when listing gets terminated. Even if you have the listing number, it just comes up as no longer available. Not sure if agents can see more? I know I had an agent check on an older listing that had been purged and they couldn't see anything beyond what was public (which wasn't much) other than the RE agent name. I assume property will relist in the future and unless someone has been watching for a while, they can't use previous asking price to help them decide on their offer or what the seller is hoping for.
On house sigma as well?

Sent from the future

Apples to oranges...
Home #1 is small... no garage. You're paying for the lot.. it'll likely be torn down and rebuilt into something like house #2.
In that case all the money spent on tart up could be trucked to the dump. The location isn't rare or spectacular IMO. I don't know when the reno was committed to. Some later quotes for major renovations may never see the light of day.

Depending on the seller's they could sell at a loss, rent until things improve a long time down the road or enjoy the place themselves.

A buyer could live there OK and after five years test the market and sell or demolish and go big.

or arrested

Dirty tricks played by RE agents.

What I've done in the past is try to use Google to find expired listings. Although the link doesn't work, sometimes the cached copy will show the older date/price. Also, sometimes RE agents will be a bit lax in deleting/changing 360 walk-through videos on YouTube, and the older pricing information will still be on there either in the video or in the description/comment section. Also, try to find scanned pdfs of paper RE listings on issuu. Can't tamper/change those.

Wayback Machine might also work too, but haven't tried that.

Rethinking the stupid price of housing and adding some first nation concepts.

Decades ago a friend bought a house in north Scarborough cheap because it was on leased land, with the government owning the land. The downside was that not owning the land made the property less attractive for investment value. (My friend was eventually able to buy the lot and did OK.)

It seems people want cheap housing until they move in and then they want the market to go crazy so they make a killing. They would however resent the previous owner making a killing at their expense. Hypocrisy in action.

My understanding of first nation reservation housing is similar. The native can own the house but not the land, killing the high investment potential.

There are several similarly developed properties in Ontario, typically minimalist homes on least lots geared toward seniors. Some in the GTA commute zone are in the $300 to 400 K range with a monthly lease adder ($500-700??).

I saw some nice ones further out (2 hour drive) at $500K and the land was owned. The problem is that I'm a senior and I wouldn't want to live next to me.

Could the government get more housing of this nature where they own the land and collect land rent separate from the home owner's mortgage?

Are we too fixated on owning the land and making a killing so badly we never have a place to hang our hat. How many people buy lotto tickets because they have a more realistic outlook than saving for a house?

There is the downside of not being able to cash in for millions to pay for senior's day care when needed but properly built and maintained there should be something, at least more than one would get from a landlord after decades of shelling out.

Royal Oaks Estates in Cookstown has been getting some bad press but there are homes, probably trailer or modular, for around $300K.

$50K down, $1650 a month mortgage, $800 maintenance and taxes = $2450, about the same as an apartment but with some degree of cost control. Right now the problem there is maintenance, potholes like bathtubs etc.

If the government could add maintenance controls (Which they have doing with their own properties) could it work?

The land and development cost isn't free for the government either but they have a choice of spending on land with owner occupied homes and the train wreck system of subsidized apartments we now have. With the apartments there is no incentive for the occupant to mitigate maintenance costs.

Port Rowan (2 hour commute) for $600 K, a 2 BR, 3 bath, two car garage and the lot is owned. Seniors oriented community. $100K down, $3300 a month (20 years) + Taxes.

Could the government get more housing of this nature where they own the land and collect land rent separate from the home owner's mortgage?

Maybe. But there's so much administration overhead for this option, not to mention the huge upfront costs in acquiring the land for gov't-managed housing.

Under the current scheme, they just grift off every transaction without lifting a finger - the higher the transaction, the bigger the cut. The more transactions, the more income they make. So they're not really incentivized to mess with the current Do-Nothing-Collect-Everything scheme, especially if foreigners bring their money from abroad to continue this income stream, once the local pool of homeowners' pockets have all been turned out.

and multinationals buying up a very large number of homes to rent out. :mad: :rolleyes:

1 in 5 properties across much of Canada are owned by investors. That makes it harder for 1st-time buyers​

Experts say recently-released data, which covers 5 provinces, has major implications for housing policy​

If housing prices tracked inflation the world would be better off...housing costs have had a huge negative impact on wealth disparity.

ao-fig2-real-median-house-prices-since-1970.PNG

Last edited:
Went to see a house way north. Been on the market 6 months. Liked what I saw, put an offer in for 90% of asking cause, you know, 6 months and no takers. Heard back that they have had an offer $15K over asking. Ya right. Was asked if I want to change my offer. Yup, instead of 10 days, I'll give you 30 days. Real-estate agent must be from GTA. And now I wait.

Went to see a house way north. Been on the market 6 months. Liked what I saw, put an offer in for 90% of asking cause, you know, 6 months and no takers. Heard back that they have had an offer $15K over asking. Ya right. Was asked if I want to change my offer. Yup, instead of 10 days, I'll give you 30 days. Real-estate agent must be from GTA. And now I wait.
Games being played

Back
Top Bottom