Coronavirus | Page 238 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian tire got so backed up on curbside pickup orders that they stopped allowing you to place anymore at many stores.

Canadian Tire was a complete and total disaster through this. Their website collapsed under the load, and their website online ordering system sucked donkey balls before that anyways. My BIL tried to order 3 bottles of marine gear oil to change the oil in the stern drives in preparation for hopefully going in the water soon. The website wouldn't let him order the oil unless he specified the make and model of the vehicle it was going in. That was stupid enough to begin with (honestly, it's GEAR OIL, it shouldn't matter) and even when we both tried random vehicles from pickup trucks to PWC's and everything in between the website refused to actually let him put the oil in his cart and actually buy it. He ended up just getting it from a marina instead.

CNE cancelled.

Post-secondary planning for distance learning in the fall.

Ugh. This is going to be a mess for a long while.

I think they're "planning" for post secondary distance learning, but that may change. Nobody knows. Sure glad we just signed a 12 month lease 2 months ago on a half a house for her though when she could be doing distance education from her bedroom here, basically. Frig.

Interesting article. Not a definitive study (which ones are really?) but it states that smokers are less likely to be affected by covid19 than non or former smokers. Apparently nicotine has some effect on the virus, with the possibility that the "tar" in the lungs prevents the virus from taking hold.

My thoughts went to the movie War of the Worlds where the aliens were taken out by the common cold, what is bad for us is worse for the virus.

The smoker thing has turned into a "Eggs are healthy" / "Eggs are bad for you" situation. Today smokers are less likely effected. Yesterday, smokers are more effected.

CNE cancelled.

Post-secondary planning for distance learning in the fall.

Ugh. This is going to be a mess for a long while.

The list is endless.

Get used to "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service"

HOV lanes when you aren't allowed to HO.

If you think car insurance today is a minefield wait until life insurance adjusts to the threat. Or travel insurance for March break.

Deluxe cabins on cruise ships will be the lifeboats.

The cruise ship thing is a bit of a stretch but boat shows, home shows, concerts, fall fairs, opera, checking out a new house, buses, taxis and on and on.

If this thing continues to mutate it may never go away. With vaccines and immunity it will tame down in a few years to a flat percentage of cases and the healthcare system will have to add the appropriate number of beds. A tolerable number of people will die yearly.

We tolerate a certain number of traffic deaths per year because the government we elected won't tighten driver training regs.

We'll get used to it. We're Canadians.

The list is endless.

If you think car insurance today is a minefield wait until life insurance adjusts to the threat. Or travel insurance for March break.

The cruise ship thing is a bit of a stretch but boat shows, home shows, concerts, fall fairs, opera, checking out a new house, buses, taxis and on and on.

If this thing continues to mutate it may never go away. With vaccines and immunity it will tame down in a few years to a flat percentage of cases and the healthcare system will have to add the appropriate number of beds. A tolerable number of people will die yearly.

We tolerate a certain number of traffic deaths per year because the government we elected won't tighten driver training regs.

Sadly you're view is actually viable. By wiping out older people, that frees up a lot of money in pension plans and healthcare. I'm not saying it's good, but it may actually be sustainable. We have gotten too good at keeping every person alive well past the point where they have any quality of life and society is having trouble paying for that. Dropping life expectancy dramatically realigns things.

The list is endless.

travel insurance already adapted to have a covid clause.

post secondary institutions are already deciding to go online for fall, slowly, one by one.

Tory made a comment that without help from above, Toronto is looking at a 30% tax bump just to break even at this point. The part he left out was, even if you get help from above, you are just spreading the pain through various governments but the bill is still being picked up by the same pool of people (although higher governments can pass it to our grandchildren).

Also out was U of T report where 25% of TTC riders said they were out until a vaccine is available. I dont believe that as people are inherently lazy and if they had half a brain they would have been out long ago. If even a portion stops though, TTC will be a huge(r) financial drain.

Tory made a comment that without help from above, Toronto is looking at a 30% tax bump just to break even at this point. The part he left out was, even if you get help from above, you are just spreading the pain through various governments but the bill is still being picked up by the same pool of people (although higher governments can pass it to our grandchildren).

Also out was U of T report where 25% of TTC riders said they were out until a vaccine is available. I dont believe that as people are inherently lazy and if they had half a brain they would have been out long ago. If even a portion stops though, TTC will be a huge(r) financial drain.

Austerity measures like that have fueled riots all over the world at times. Money isn’t free...but adding to the burden after people have already paid so much in terms of jobs etc isn’t going to be taken very well. Eat the rich will become a popular sentiment.

Austerity measures like that have fueled riots all over the world at times. Money isn’t free...but adding to the burden after people have already paid so much in terms of jobs etc isn’t going to be taken very well. Eat the rich will become a popular sentiment.
A wealth/inheritance tax may be the outcome of this mess. How else do you raise a generation worth of money without severely burdening people in a recession?

A wealth/inheritance tax may be the outcome of this mess. How else do you raise a generation worth of money without severely burdening people in a recession?

You claw back the massive tax dodges from the Uber rich first.....if you do that in an open manner then the average Joe on the street will see things as a bit fairer to them when they need to pay their share.

Wonder if Alberta will finally institute a sales tax?

Anyhow, Canada wide.....some sort of extra tax for a period of time seems inevitable. Easiest would be to just jump the federal portion of the HST up and sock that money towards the debt incurred.

Assuming successive governments actually do that and don't get their fingers in the piggy bank and funnel the money elsewhere. Because, you know....that's never happened before. /s

I have serious plans for my Moms money LOL, an inheiritance tax will be most unwelcome. I've spent several decades coughing up cash in the less than pleasant tax category and I'll pay my share but I'm pretty tired of paying others shares.

Anyhow, Canada wide.....some sort of extra tax for a period of time seems inevitable. Easiest would be to just jump the federal portion of the HST up and sock that money towards the debt incurred.

Assuming successive governments actually do that and don't get their fingers in the piggy bank and funnel the money elsewhere. Because, you know....that's never happened before. /s

I'd like to see the squirming in Alberta for not instituting a sales tax. It will be epic.

Probably have trouble getting enough that way. You cant double hst to make a boatload of cash. A few percent wont wind back this dumpster fire anytime soon. Taking 40% inheritance tax like the UK has the potential to generate tons of money quickly.

To be clear, I dont like this tax and the uber rich can easily dodge it once they know it exists so it still screws the little guys. Maybe instead do a minimum wealth tax where your minimum tax burden is x% of your net worth. If you already contribute over x through income/capital gains/property tax you dont pay anything extra, you've done your part. If you have parked your wealth in a vancouver mansion and have zero income, bend over, here it comes.

Woah woah woah....I've got cars to purchase with my inheritance...where's my pitchfork! I kid I kid...I love my parents. But giving 40% to JT will incite riots. The next generation is banking on that money to go on vacations, buy cars, buy fun stuff...not do boring things like pay off this spending frenzy.

Any party that suggests it is basically writing their own suicide note.

So, they talk about how testing is going to be a game changer,
and once they identify a "hot spot" they can move in and take action.

:unsure: what action?

Woah woah woah....I've got cars to purchase with my inheritance...where's my pitchfork! I kid I kid...I love my parents. But giving 40% to JT will incite riots. The next generation is banking on that money to go on vacations, buy cars, buy fun stuff...not do boring things like pay off this spending frenzy.

Any party that suggests it is basically writing their own suicide note.
I agree, it would be interesting to see what would happen if we didnt have money grubbing corrupt politicians though. Sure it would hurt, but if you saw 100% of this going to debt repayment and the program dies when debt gets down to 10% GDP, it would anger some, but it could be exciting for others. A once in a lifetime opportunity to get out from under crippling amounts of money being used for perpetual debt service. In reality, they are all greedy pricks and they will steal the money for other causes and the program will never ever be cancelled.

I agree, it would be interesting to see what would happen if we didnt have money grubbing corrupt politicians though. Sure it would hurt, but if you saw 100% of this going to debt repayment and the program dies when debt gets down to 10% GDP, it would anger some, but it could be exciting for others. A once in a lifetime opportunity to get out from under crippling amounts of money being used for perpetual debt service. In reality, they are all greedy pricks and they will steal the money for other causes and the program will never ever be cancelled.
If they implement it it’s easy enough to deal with. Sell house and pass wealth directly. Obviously room for abuse but there’s ways around.

They're going to devalue the currency by printing more money.

Taxes are loud and noisy. There's already precedence set with Quantitative Easing, they're just going to Turbo-Boost QE. There will be runaway inflation and people will be able to afford less for the same dollar. Everybody suffers, but especially those who saved for a rainy day, because their nest egg will shrink noticeably.

This article explains it well:

Yup. The only way governments will come out the other side of this is via "printing money", or "quantitative easing", or "increasing the money supply", or whatever you want to call it. It will affect all major currencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom