Coronavirus | Page 237 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian tire got so backed up on curbside pickup orders that they stopped allowing you to place anymore at many stores.

Reactions: J_F
It seems China (Wuhan) and South Korea are starting second waves of the virus....:confused: or at least new infections a month after it plateaued.

Canadian tire got so backed up on curbside pickup orders that they stopped allowing you to place anymore at many stores.
Yup. Tried to place an order yesterday. I’m still shocked such a big retailer dropped the ball like this.

same with ikea....they reached some magical capacity for their curb side pickup andI just got frustrated and paid for the damn delivery.

my local CTC is lined up for over an hour to get in the store today
great to see!

I recommend all Canadians use their CERB money @ CTC
don't buy groceries, food is over rated
you need MotoMaster and Mastercraft branded stuff!

NzwC48p.jpg

Last edited:

You are the CT dealer

You have staff to do curbside.
You have staff to open the store.

You don't have staff to do both.

?

Back to Corona. Don't forget that the isolation is to spread out people getting infected over time. Not to prevent infection entirely.

The other thing is that if R (the average number of people that one infected person will subsequently infect) can be driven below 1, the virus will eventually die out completely due to not having anybody to infect. It also reduces the percentage of people necessary to have been first infected in order to achieve "herd immunity" and that reduces the total number of people who will ever get the infection and that reduces the total number who will eventually die from it.

The number of active cases diminishing with time is indicative of R being below 1 ... but we need to keep it that way for a while.

R was initially very high (the initial guess was between 2 and 3 but in some situations it could have been 5-ish) because no one was taking protective actions, and that's because no one even knew what it was.

Back to Corona. Don't forget that the isolation is to spread out people getting infected over time. Not to prevent infection entirely.

A few posts back I commented that it went from that one case to four million in five months. Using sillystats, if each of those four million infected four million there would be 16 trillion cases. There are only about 8 billion people on the planet. The curve will flatten itself out at some point.

A 100% cure isn't on the horizon if ever. We just need the numbers to drop to the point where we can cope with the risks. This is newbie territory on an R6 in twisties at night in the rain.

Florida has 2500 new cases since reopening. Surprised?

Because a lot of people just aren't taking this seriously in many US States. It's literally going to take a friend or family member dying from Covid before some people will actually stop and think that this is anything except "A silly overblown flu that's being used as a plot to take down the president".

Say what you want about our response here in Canada, but although we have a selection of deniers and whatever here, that herd is much smaller.

Mine was quite busy. I got there just after 8 and there was a line up. Took me an hour overall to wait, get in, and leave. Some staff had gloves no masks though.
My local HD had an hour lineup yesterday. As I was leaving I noticed the garden center at the other end of the store was open. No lineup, just a line monitor who waved me in. Turns out the doors were opened to the store so the garden center was a nice shortcut.

As I was leaving some dummy customer departing the store shouted to the main entrance lineup "no wait if you enter thru the garden center".

If you didn't hear him you'd have guessed someone pulled out an AR5 -- his words created a human stampede.

Yup. Tried to place an order yesterday. I’m still shocked such a big retailer dropped the ball like this.

same with ikea....they reached some magical capacity for their curb side pickup andI just got frustrated and paid for the damn delivery.
My biggest beef is with Amazon. I have a Prime membership, delivery on items that used to arrive same day are now running up to 3 weeks out. I get the fact they are busy however I can't believe how poorly they have been able to ramp and react.

I'm also ****** that they are using "Aliexpress style Shipping & Tracking" tactics to trick customers. On several of my items I have seen "out for delivery" tracking status only to find they have generated shipping notifications and fudged the tracking progress. My latest order was placed Apr 29 and promised for May 5. Amazon marked it SHIPPED on May 1, out for delivery on May 7, Arriving by 8PM today on May 8, then a Sorry Message saying delivery would be delivered by the 12th. When I checked the tracking info with Canada Post I found out the item had not actually been shipped, only a shipping label had been generated.

I think I'm going to cancel my Prime membership and wean off Amazon.ca as much as I can. I've had great success with other merchants - namely Sail, Chapters, Cabelas and FortNine. Their resiliency in tough times has earned my loyalty, Amazon's has left a bad taste in my mouth.

My biggest beef is with Amazon. I have a Prime membership, delivery on items that used to arrive same day are now running up to 3 weeks out. I get the fact they are busy however I can't believe how poorly they have been able to ramp and react.

Add a food item to each order. Someone else posted that trick here a few weeks back and I tried it...and sure enough, it worked - your order gets bumped to "essentials" status at that point.

We drink a lot of coffee. I can add a bag of Kicking Horse beans in every order noooooo problem. ;)

(I guess I just became the online version of the Home Depot "There's no lineup if you enter through the garden centre!" guy, huh? lol

Not my words and probably not Canada but...

After listening to some pretty harsh comments & arguing over reopening or completely shutting down for another two weeks, someone in their right mind wrote this.

Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on.
Perspective:
WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.
For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.
For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.
With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.
Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.
Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.
Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.
Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.
Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.
Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.
So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.
Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.
We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.
Realize that and be kind.
Unknown author

CNE cancelled.

Post-secondary planning for distance learning in the fall.

Ugh. This is going to be a mess for a long while.

Not sure this is true or not, since this is coming from Facebook. But there was a discussion about US charging people for COVID testing ($60) and people not going to get tested because of the cost or waiting until symptons were obvious or bad. This was from a bunch of snowbirds keeping in contact with people they know in Florida.

Was that for US citizens (supposedly it should be covered by medicare), or for Canadian citizens without health coverage (plausible), or for Canadian citizens WITH health coverage but the cost was below their deductible (plausible), or for Canadian citizens WITH health coverage but the insurance company had told them to get home because their coverage was expiring but they didn't (plausible)?

Not sure, I don't have enough details, just a curiosity though.

Interesting article. Not a definitive study (which ones are really?) but it states that smokers are less likely to be affected by covid19 than non or former smokers. Apparently nicotine has some effect on the virus, with the possibility that the "tar" in the lungs prevents the virus from taking hold.

My thoughts went to the movie War of the Worlds where the aliens were taken out by the common cold, what is bad for us is worse for the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom