Coronavirus | Page 396 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ And this is why lockdown round 1 involved the whole province plus border restrictions.
^ And this is why, in Australia's recent problem in Victoria, they restricted travel between Victoria and adjacent states ... and why other places with lockdowns required people to stay within a certain fairly short distance of their home.

The one thing this pandemic has shown is the difference in various societies towards the notion of collective responsibility. Some have it, some don’t. There's an inherently self destructive selfish streak that runs strong in the US in some parts and also in Canada to a lesser extent.

The one thing this pandemic has shown is the difference in various societies towards the notion of collective responsibility. Some have it, some don’t. There's an inherently self destructive selfish streak that runs strong in the US in some parts and also in Canada to a lesser extent.
can you be more specific? what are you seeing here that isn't happening in europe?

This is a complex debate. I think the differences are not so much society (depending on how you draw boundaries), I think it’s more at the community level. My observations are that community ethnicity and/or socioeconomic differences loom large.

If you look at Ontario you will see notable differences in infection that seem to follow community boundaries. If you cut Toronto in 1/2, study the spread by socio-ethno community, you can predict the other side of the city by matching communities.

I think smaller community lockdowns would be more effective.

Interesting you say that @jc100 .... there’s a stark difference in how my Polish group of friends follow the regulations and how my Canadian born friends / colleagues take it.

Polish are very much relaxed about it, and the Canadian born are much more rigid on the topic.

One stark difference difference is that the majority of the Polish work in roles that cannot work from home, but the Canadians do.

Basically in my very small group of friends, those that are able to work from home and keep their financing going are all about being strict about COVID. Those that are feeling the effects and have their finances disrupted don’t bother for the most part BUT try to give a semblance / appearance of compliance.

Interesting you say that @jc100 .... there’s a stark difference in how my Polish group of friends follow the regulations and how my Canadian born friends / colleagues take it.

Polish are very much relaxed about it, and the Canadian born are much more rigid on the topic.

One stark difference difference is that the majority of the Polish work in roles that cannot work from home, but the Canadians do.

Basically in my very small group of friends, those that are able to work from home and keep their financing going are all about being strict about COVID. Those that are feeling the effects and have their finances disrupted don’t bother for the most part BUT try to give a semblance / appearance of compliance.
I think your experience matches with my observation, lower socioeconomic standing often accompanies lower levels of education PLUS the reality you have-to-do what you have-to-do to put good on the table.

Hillier is an idiot. I hope they tazed his sons head.

I think your experience matches with my observation, lower socioeconomic standing often accompanies lower levels of education PLUS the reality you have-to-do what you have-to-do to put good on the table.
One thing I've read/heard multiple times is that Scarborough and Brampton are hot spots around the GTA....is that because of a combination of both lower level / skill jobs where people MUST show up for work? And a large, and tight knit community? I'm not sure, but it makes sense to me. There's many more smarter people than myself that can answer that, but it is logical if you think about it.

That’s Ontario hillbilly country, a local waking up after a face tazering might just think it’s just another Saturday morning.

One thing I've read/heard multiple times is that Scarborough and Brampton are hot spots around the GTA....is that because of a combination of both lower level / skill jobs where people MUST show up for work? And a large, and tight knit community? I'm not sure, but it makes sense to me. There's many more smarter people than myself that can answer that, but it is logical if you think about it.
You are prolly correct.It's a topic that isn't easily discussed without crossing a fine line in regards to ethnicity.

You are prolly correct.It's a topic that isn't easily discussed without crossing a fine line in regards to ethnicity.
etc_elephantroom50__01__630x420.jpg

Can’t be discussed at all in a politically correct way.

Nuclear zones in Brampton, King City, Milliken, Woodbridge & Maple are all examples of wealthy ethnic communities that have demonstrated low compliance with public health guidance. Big underground parties, big weddings, car meets, festive celebrations all go on unchallenged. The outcome is as we would expect.

Science would say lock those communities down, close their borders to egress for a month. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Politics says “wait, what, OMG”.

It's not just those communties that are the problem.A good friend of my wife has an ex that is **********.He and all his friends and family don't believe in germs. Sigh.

Posted earlier, wife had a potential exposure at work and had to be tested, she had a letter from Peel Public Health....

She booked an appointment at St. Joseph's (Queensway). Appointment was at 4:30pm on Friday. I dropped her off at around 4:20 and parked, very small line outside, she was out at 4:39. Got the results this morning, negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom