Coronavirus | Page 362 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx for the kind words.

However, this is a preventable illness. If everyone on my bus wore a mask then the likelihood of me getting sick from Covid would be greatly diminished. Instead O contend with 50% to 80% mask compliance depending on the time of day. At the end of the shift it can be as low as 15% mask compliance which is just ridiculous. Needless potential spread.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
i really don't understand how your union is letting this slide? i'd stop the bus, tell them to get off and call security.

Thx for the kind words.

However, this is a preventable illness. If everyone on my bus wore a mask then the likelihood of me getting sick from Covid would be greatly diminished. Instead O contend with 50% to 80% mask compliance depending on the time of day. At the end of the shift it can be as low as 15% mask compliance which is just ridiculous. Needless potential spread.

This will eventually go through the population. We are just slowing this down and killing our economy .

This will eventually go through the population. We are just slowing this down and killing our economy .
The slower the better. Keep the hospitals and ICUs from getting overwhelmed. We can't stop this but if we throttle it then we can hopefully not overwhelm the health care system and have a better chance of protecting the most vulnerable.

Also, we are continually learning about this virus and the treatment protocols have continually adapted and improved. The worst thing we could do is to do little to nothing to mitigate the spread.

Yes, Taiwan implemented their own MORE STRINGENT rules in advance of anyone in the international community advising that they do so. So did Vietnam, which also had very few cases. These countries knew from southeast Asia's own experience with SARS-1 16 years before. In some areas of southeast Asia, the population took it upon themselves to start wearing masks before anyone told them to do so.

There is no question that the WHO was slow to react. There is no question that their early communication was misguided. There is no question that we (including Dr Tam) were slow to react in Canada and made some mis-steps. In our defense (and that of the WHO) ... we (collectively) didn't know anywhere near as much then as we do now.

Using these early mistakes to justify not following the much more educated, but still imperfect, guidance that we have today ... is pretty short-sighted.

We don't know everything there is to know about this virus. We KNOW we don't know everything there is to know. So that warrants doing nothing about it? We know enough about it that we need to do something, however imperfect that may be, to slow its spread. Wait for the "perfect" solution to arrive, and you'll be dead before it shows up.

The UK is going into a month-long lockdown. The authorities didn't want to do it, but it became apparent that they had to. Are we next?

A possible factor is in a lot of Asian countries masks have been worn for decades for reasons other than Covid. Here we see them as foreign to our WASP culture. IMO the breathing impairment is mostly psychological. Get used to it like people in high altitude cities get used to lean oxygen air.

i really don't understand how your union is letting this slide? i'd stop the bus, tell them to get off and call security.
I could post the protocols. We are not allowed to deny service for this. We are technically allowed to "educate" to olease wear a mask. However, several drivers have been disciplined after "customers" complained about being asked to wear a mask.

Union is spending their energies encouraging us to disinfect our buses and get with the program. I have complained via messages that our current track is only going to lead to Covid spread to drivers and passengers alike and that we should be going public about our concerns.

So... Until we get a new executive or decertify and leave Unifor this (sadly) seems to be how they are going to play it.

It is so frustrating because there are transit properties like OC Transpo in Ottawa that are all over this. Wear a mask or do not board. Take your mask off and you can be kicked off by the driver or the random checks by transit security.

what was your symptoms? i think i had covid in feb
I don't doubt it probably was here earlier then people knew or the gov started to think it would be.

I also think this, I had a nasty flu in Feb, the worst I have ever had. It possibly could have been COIVD.

Seems COVID killed Halloween this year, no kid traffic on my street at all. I know friends who kept their kids home as well.

I could post the protocols. We are not allowed to deny service for this. We are technically allowed to "educate" to olease wear a mask. However, several drivers have been disciplined after "customers" complained about being asked to wear a mask.
Isn't the standing policy of the TTC currently that all customers must wear masks?

Tam screwed up at the beginning by advising against shutting down travel from china as it would be "culturally insensitive". That is not medical advice, that is not based on science, that is politics and she should have been fired on the spot for it.

Definitely rap her knuckles but unless there is a better replacement technically let her keep her job. We do have to dump the PC bit even with our friends. In my case, sorry but you have a kid in public school, a large family bubble, you go to numerous meetings and shop. You're nice guy but we ain't getting together.

If you say "What do I have to do to make you comfortable around me" you don't understand the question. You're asking for the minimum standard not going for the maximum.

Isn't the standing policy of the TTC currently that all customers must wear masks?
I work for Grand River Transit.

A quick trip to their Facebook and Twitter (along with the Region Of Waterloo) will illustrate their approach to this.

There are people complaining about the poor mask adherence on the buses and LRT and the response is that some people cannot wear a mask. That is how the region and the transit property are choosing to handle this.

Some drivers are retiring early and a few are trying to go to another city that have more strigent mask policies.

As for me I would rather stay if I could. Grass is not always greener.

I work for Grand River Transit.

A quick trip to their Facebook and Twitter (along with the Region Of Waterloo) will illustrate their approach to this.

There are people complaining about the poor mask adherence on the buses and LRT and the response is that some people cannot wear a mask. That is how the region and the transit property are choosing to handle this.

Some drivers are retiring early and a few are trying to go to another city that have more strigent mask policies.

As for me I would rather stay if I could. Grass is not always greener.

Ah!

Here is a snippet pulled from their Twitter Feed:

Sadly, the public consensus is against the drivers so the Region is focusing their attention on us and are busy pulling surveillance footage and the Union is busy going to disciplinary meetings. Sad, that so many energies are directed this way instead of actually getting people to wear masks on the bus and ION.

A majority of the comments in the newsfeed about my positive result blame me. I choose to wear a mask behind the barrier even though I don't have to. I hope that by trying to set a good example that perhaps some more passengers may choose to wear a mask since I cannot demand it, enforce it, or require it.

IMO the biggest problem with masks is psychological or it's an inconvenience. If you're in that bad a shape that you can't wear a mask you probably couldn't walk to a bus stop and should be on a mobility scooter. An old compliant Muslim woman could wear one all day and still kick your ass. Suck it up and snug it up.

@Zoodles95 sorry to read of your experience and the ******** way the employer is treating you guys. Drivers get **** on from every angle and are the front line. GRT should adopt a ‘no mask no service’ policy but they need to grow a pair.

as for masks....unexpected benefit is my face is nice and toasty when going outside.

IMO the biggest problem with masks is psychological or it's an inconvenience. If you're in that bad a shape that you can't wear a mask you probably couldn't walk to a bus stop and should be on a mobility scooter. An old compliant Muslim woman could wear one all day and still kick your ass. Suck it up and snug it up.
It is psychological, but the issue is the feeling that you're now invulnerable to the disease. You aren't.

The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) gives a worker the right to refuse work that he or she believes is unsafe to himself/ herself or another worker.

@Zoodles95 If management and the union at GRT don't allow staff to refuse service to those without masks wouldn't this situation fall under the refuse unsafe work clause in the OHSA?
He could try but I think it would be a rough go. It sounds like there are barriers and he can wear a mask. If MOL declared his workplace unsafe, that would open up the floodgates for pretty much every complaint to succeed. Politics would prevent that in my opinion. To be clear, I dont like how grt are dealing with it but I would be shocked if he received official support due to the fallout.

This is where provincial leadership comes in. Those exemptions need to be wiped out, across the board: If you are indoors, and you are not in your own house with only the people you normally live with, you have to be wearing a mask, properly. The end. Don't like it? Stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom