Cornering situation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cornering situation

Can't save this thread, too much misinformation. Get yourself a copy of "A Twist of the Wrist II".

off_the_track.jpg

0mL5L.jpg

Applying the rear brake will tighten the turning radius of the bike (works the same for cars). It's a damn useful skill to possess. Even more useful, however, is knowing not to ride beyond your line of sight, and leaving yourself a healthy reserve of tire should you need to lean more for whatever reason.

Learning to drift that rear in and you might have an advantage over those who don't.

Nothing feels as awesome as drifting your rear tire

Can't say for sure what I do in a corner, except for look thru the turn and make no anticipation about what comes next, and never ride faster than I can react to or see, and feel my way around with whatever input makes the bike feel most stable.

I take the same turns often, and practice them in both directions. Still a noob :).

But, I do have fun with this turn:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&s...=GcrnT8ymDeix0AG55ez-CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

I like it, but for the rest of you old hats it may just be boring :D.

Last edited:
Seeing as how that's Xaus, you know that picture was taken approximately 20ms before the highside. I'm going by memory, though... nothing on the leathers to confirm it.

I like the poster who said to leave more lean angle on roads you're not familiar with. There is no such thing as a tightening radius on the track, more like a double apex. If it tightens, you would pick a better line next time around the track, rather than having to change your direction mid turn. Know your corners if you're going to be at your max lean angle. Explore your max lean angle on nice uniform, predictable corners. Know how the bike feels at its limits, and then don't ride to those limits on turns in which you are not familiar, that way you will know how much you have in reserves to scrub off a couple kms through a turn with either a gentle 1 finger tap on the front brake, not enough to through off your weight distribution, but just enough to tighten the turn. If you want to steer with your rear, well this is an extremely advanced technique best illustrated by the likes of Stoner in MotoGP. Then again he backs it into the turns, and lights it up on the exit, the whole time flirting with the limits of low sides, and highsides. These are not limits you should flirt with if you already do not have a full grasp on how much more lean angle you have in reserves. And Casey steers with the rear, knowing that turn intimately. I don't know too many people that would risk steering with the rear in a tightening turn scenario.

Trail breaking itself is a fairly advanced technique, and steering with the rear is even more advanced. Make sure you're up to it in a controlled situation before trying it in an uncontrolled situation.

"look farther, lean harder"

I wouldn't recommend the "lean harder" approach unless you know what you're doing. Even the pros go in "hot" and know there isn't any lean left, so they run wide and lose a second in a turn.

Learn your limits in baby steps in a controlled constant situation and know what the bike can do, then back it off 15% in unknown situations when a turn can "suddenly tighten".

Be smooth.

Thats great advice, but unless you tell him (or her) what they need to do to "Be Smooth" that will be difficult to do. There are several things a person needs to work on to "Be smooth"

So you are coming into a decrerasing radius turn. There are a couple ways to handle this.

1. Do a double apex
2. if you know it is decreasing ahead of time, change your turn in point to later into the turn.

Depending on your initial turn in point and lean angle pushing on the inside grip a little more and leaning more should get you thru the turn as well.

We teach trail breaking and cornering in Total COntrol Level I and we cover and teach different techniques for decreasing radius turn in Total Control Level II. (All of which is in Toronto)

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend the "lean harder" approach unless you know what you're doing. Even the pros go in "hot" and know there isn't any lean left, so they run wide and lose a second in a turn.

Learn your limits in baby steps in a controlled constant situation and know what the bike can do, then back it off 15% in unknown situations when a turn can "suddenly tighten".

I don't think the op is a pro and if they were on a ss they probably had more lean angle left.

Twist of the wrist II, get movie and the book. Take an advanced riding course.
Option 3 buy a cruiser and ride 10km/h below the posted speed limit. (Says me riding a cruiser)

You have a fellow rider with a serious question that he does not know and most of these post are jokes or making fum of the OP, why not make some real constructive sugggestions and if you cant do that why post anything?

Leaning doesn't turn a bike, turning a bike leans the bike.

This forum wouldnt exsist than, thats why.

lol +1. You cant really expect people to be constructive on the interweb. Well you can but you'll probably be really disappointed.

OP needs to take a course, dragging the rear brake at half lean is not the way to tighten your line around a corner. As soon as you roll off the gas weight transfers to the front end making the rear even easier to lock, hence it being a fall down button. As long as you dont have the front at 40+ psi dragging the front asks for grip out of the tire that actually has some weight on it, reduces trail and well help the bike steer in addition to added bar input.

The biggest thing for riding on the street is to not constantly be on/off the gas. Brake, turn in, maintenance throttle and dont roll into the throttle until you can see far enough that you know you wont have to roll off again.

You can obviously push harder then that with advanced skills, but that's not what we're talking about. Dont think the OP has posted back anyway, this is probably all troll fodder.

Back
Top Bottom