Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike?

Is this a joke? lol... Been riding since I was kid, got an SV650 as the first bike here, sold it for a 500cc a year later. Not because it was too much bike, because it wasn't confidence inspiring, there is no way, even now after 4+ years of street experience would I even consider a 1000RR anything, waaay beyond my limits, or any street. As a first bike, its important YOU control the bike, if its the other way around, and the fact that the price is already swaying you, its a bad gamble, just my 2 cents

Yup. I rented a S1000R (the 160hp naked) with just 6 months/5000 kms of experience and while it was still fun to ride, I instantly realized that I was in over my head. Bit too much throttle and my brain suddenly couldn't compute its environment fast enough.

Too much bike too soon is not just dangerous, it'll also hamper your development.

Oh and FYI OP, "rain mode" still gives you over 150hp to get in trouble with. This is more than you get from any stock 600cc supersport, which is still too much bike for a complete noob.

I dunno what happened to my original unhelpful response, but just a little perspective:

This forum is generally aligned with the idea that supersports are terrible beginner bikes, and I agree with that notion. However, you can technically say that a CBR600F4 is a supersport, as well as a S1000RR. The S1000RR is among the objectively fastest bikes you can get your hands on these days, and while it does have some neat rider aids, it still doesn't ride itself.

So yeah, it's a supremely bad idea, but insurance will likely be prohibitive anyway

Umm you are solely buying the bike because it is a good deal? Think about that for a moment. You have been sitting on your hands with an M2 for 2 years and no motorcycle? Why, and suddenly you want to buy something? Something doesn't add up. You should buy the bike you want to ride and learn on, and feel is right for you, not because it is there.

Umm you are solely buying the bike because it is a good deal? Think about that for a moment. You have been sitting on your hands with an M2 for 2 years and no motorcycle? Why, and suddenly you want to buy something? Something doesn't add up. You should buy the bike you want to ride and learn on, and feel is right for you, not because it is there.
OP is just like me it sounds like. He likes shiny bikes with lots of plastic that look cool but are actually a major pain in the ass and are terrible street bikes ?

Try riding a supersport for 3 hours on the highway, your body will be pretty beat up. Your legs will cramp and your core will be exhausted or worse, your back will be effed from bad posture. Try riding it around downtown for three hours and you’ll have some sore wrists from starting and stopping so much. Supersports are for going around a track for 20 minutes max as fast as your brain can handle. If you live in the country you can enjoy them on the street but still you’ll probably be in stunt driving territory if you’re doing it right ?

I'm pretty much inline with all the other responses, so the only comment I have is.....have you actually called for an insurance quote yet?

Your first problem is going to be getting one as most insurers won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.
Second will be affording it.

The intended audience for those types of bikes tend to be families that have been racing for generations, and very experienced riders who commute on the autobahn.

Some people have the innate skill and coordination to handle a supersport as a first bike.

Others need to work up to it via experience with smaller bikes.

If you have a penis, you will think you are in the first group, even if you really are in the second group.
I got a penis. Albeit small. But I have no intention of getting on a supersport.

There are too many videos of dumb ass' to even consider it.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

1.Just give it to me straight. Is this just completely stupid and suicidal ? Completely new rider, have had M2 license few years but no bike experience besides bike course.

Getting my first bike ever and am a brand-new rider. I was going to strictly stay far far away from litre bikes and only go for 600cc. However friend is selling his bmw s1000rr and i can get it at a very good price. This is really the only reason im even considering getting a 1000cc. I know this bike has different settings for speed and you can leave it in rain modes to go slower, but with the higher speeds available most ppl are obviously going to use it if its there a click away... some people say it has lots of safety features.

People with experience, what are your thoughts? (besides insurance issues and discussion pls just stick to my question)

If you feel you need to put me in my place and tear me a new one please do as I need to understand this.

2.What about maintenance on this bike? How much more expensive is it, if it is, vs the japanese bikes like yamaha and kawasaki?

Big No No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so, too many of you guys aren't reading my first post. i already tried to state that im not seeking insurance advice as that is not my question. i just wish ppl on forums actually read the first post before kicking into auto-reply mode

anyways, not going to go for any 1000cc anytime soon.

thanks

OP is just like me it sounds like. He likes shiny bikes with lots of plastic that look cool but are actually a major pain in the ass and are terrible street bikes ?

Try riding a supersport for 3 hours on the highway, your body will be pretty beat up. Your legs will cramp and your core will be exhausted or worse, your back will be effed from bad posture. Try riding it around downtown for three hours and you’ll have some sore wrists from starting and stopping so much. Supersports are for going around a track for 20 minutes max as fast as your brain can handle. If you live in the country you can enjoy them on the street but still you’ll probably be in stunt driving territory if you’re doing it right ?

so which bikes do u use then?

can u point out to me where i stated in my post that i had my m2 for "2 years"?

OP your question is one that comes back regularly, so most people will have skimmed your post and gone straight to the reply box.

Now, you dismissing insurance concerns and coming back with somewhat combative replies seems to suggest that you intend to ride dirty. Tell me I'm wrong. ?

Just because you can afford any amount of insurance, doesn't mean that you are insurable.

OP here's a hint for you; if the motorcycle you are contemplating is fitted with more than twice front brake of your average family car,
then it is too much bike to start on.

1.Just give it to me straight. Is this just completely stupid and suicidal ? Completely new rider, have had M2 license few years but no bike experience besides bike course.
can u point out to me where i stated in my post that i had my m2 for "2 years"?
Ok so my mistake, your lack of interest/ or circumstances in getting a bike is worse then I thought it's more then 2 years. Does help you?
Are you more ready for 1000cc's sport bike now that we have cleared that up?

Anywho, all the power to you if you want to do it, and can afford it. But skill wise that is a lot of bike for someone with no experience.
You could be the exception to the rule, or you could be a sad statistic.

Just because you can afford any amount of insurance, doesn't mean that you are insurable.

Technically anyone with a licence is insurable on anything through facility.

But most people however are rather shocked at the price. Some 16 year old with an M1 could insure a Busa on an M1 if you want so long as $1500/month or potentially more is within your price range.

He's as insurable as the rest of us.

Not on a SS he's not. Unless we're talking facility as per my last response.

Having an M2 for 'a few years" but not actually owning and insuring a bike means absolutely zilch in the eyes of insurance companies, nor does age really anymore, so there will be no breaks - OP is effectively a brand new rider and will be treated as such. Accordingly, choice of motorcycle

Back
Top Bottom