Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or?

A coffee thread and all these coffee connoisseurs start talking about Scotch lol. Absolute vile stuff,. I think Diesel or Dasani bottle water has more taste!!

A coffee thread and all these coffee connoisseurs start talking about Scotch lol. Absolute vile stuff,. I think Diesel or Dasani bottle water has more taste!!
Scotch or coffee? I think both are an acquired taste. At the beginning, neither are fantastic, but as you experiment and learn both can be very interesting. Personally, I drink very little scotch, I have enough expensive hobbies without chasing flavour profiles in really expensive bottles.

Coffee straight up with a cognac chaser please :coffee:
make it with well water
... not a Toronto well.

Coffee Tree Roastery on Bloor, east of Jane, for me.

We used to go to a run down place on Roncesvalles, that was one of the first with fair trade and organic, used recycled old cups, and didn't have take out, but it looks like the area has been gentrified since, and they're look to be gone.

There was also a place West of Islington, that had awesome Cafe au Lait, but it only lasted a decade or so.

Stop by my place next time you’re up this way again and I’ll see if I can change your mind. I have a cupboard full of different whiskies. Some are definitely better than others though.

I put a teaspoon of water in my scotch as that was how I was shown in the distillery , by the guy that used to make it, now runs tours.
It's a drop or two. Not a teaspoon. Just a drop changes the flavour a noticeable amount. Used to wonder why I would see a glass of water with a dropper in it in some pubs in the UK. Then it was explained during a tour of the Talisker Distillery on Skye. Love the stuff.

Stop by my place next time you’re up this way again and I’ll see if I can change your mind. I have a cupboard full of different whiskies. Some are definitely better than others though.
Is that an open invitation? ;)
I need some coaching on scotch as well.

Forgot to say...we take an Aeropress with us when we travel or when camping. Makes excellent coffee.

That's all we use now at home, works great. I had to switch to decaf since regular coffee now gives me palpitations (wtf? aging sucks) so the single-serve press thingie is perfect for the wife and I (she still drinks the real stuff.)

Imost beans from Social Coffee on West Beaver Creek, good people

My go to for fresh coffee beans as well. Great people, good beans, good prices, and they usually offer an espresso or cappuccino when walking around.

I would never have thought I would say this but I had to concede that I am a nespresso convert.

A lot of people poo poo Nespresso, but it's better than ok coffee that's super convenient. Not super cheap at $1/pod, but cheaper than buying from a chain for much better coffee.

This was advertised on RFD. It’s fully automatic and Phillips also makes the Saeco (Italian) branded machines too. If you have a coffee a day this pays for itself in less than a year, fancy coffees (machiatos etc) even less.

Super-automatic espresso machines make good coffee and are very convenient. Only downside is they're nowhere near as reliable as a semi-automatic. If you're buying from Costco, that's less of a concern with their warranty. My sister swaps hers out every 2-3 years as they break.

Semi-automatic machines also have the benefit of making you work for a good cup of espresso. Instead of just pressing a button, you have to learn the variables and control them. It's a fun thing to learn.

My go to is generally an espresso or flat white that I make myself. Have a Breville Dual Boiler at home and a Rancilio Silvia at work. Aeropress is a wonderful gadget for more of an American style coffee that's dirt cheap, everyone should try one out.

If I'm on the road, it's generally Starbucks. It's easy, convenient, and ok coffee. Despite what you may have heard, you don't need to know the Starbucks lingo to order a simple coffee.

Last edited:
Since the Coffee Tree is so far away in Toronto, we order Equator coffee through the church here.

Unfortunately, coffee induces frequent urination, so I'm off of it for now.

Mine is a Breville dual boiler semi too. Great machine and I’ve used Breville warranty service for other things and it’s amazing. Breville customer service is what every other customer service should aspire to be. Partly the reason why I got this brand as my espresso machine. I like that it can almost make an automatic Americano as it’s preset to dispense a mug full of hot water.

Playing with grind and filter basket amount to get everything right was a bit hit and miss at the start but using the pressure dial it’s pretty straightforward now when switching beans.

Since the Coffee Tree is so far away in Toronto, we order Equator coffee through the church here.

Unfortunately, coffee induces frequent urination, so I'm off of it for now.

I ride to Almonte from Kingston just to buy Equator coffee. It’s great stuff.

because excuse to ride..plus it’s on the way to Calabogie...sort of.

High praise from many people, will try it out

Lots of passionate debate over coffee here, lol

It's funny, if buying it out I prefer Timmy's over McDonald's, but at home in my tassimo (I'm not a morning person, it's quick and convenient) I prefer the McDonald's disks. They all taste different for some reason.
I don't like Starbucks...to my palette it's watery and bitter. Vile stuff just like the people that serve it. The flavoured stuff they serve is ok. Once I walked in and asked for a coffee, the "barista" asked me what flavour...I didn't understand so I said coffee flavour...he looked at me with such disdain I felt bad for bothering him lol.
I also have a Nespresso and it makes really good espresso (my favourites are the Roma and the Ristretto) and lattes with the built in frother. Cost about 15% of what my dad paid for his saeco machine and the quality isn't far off.

But if I could only ever drink one kind of coffee for the rest of my life I'd use one of these, mine is almost 20 years old and still makes perfect espresso:
71J24QlhH6L._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

I figure all coffee is good but coffee made with bad water makes bad coffee. Also imo Treated water makes blah tasting coffee and store bought coffee is not worth the money they charge or a long wait in line.
... unless you roll up the rim and maybe win a car or something :/ that would be excellent value!

Ya'll do realize coffee is an addictive substance that ruins your teeth too, right?

Lots of passionate debate over coffee here, lol

It's funny, if buying it out I prefer Timmy's over McDonald's, but at home in my tassimo (I'm not a morning person, it's quick and convenient) I prefer the McDonald's disks. They all taste different for some reason.
I don't like Starbucks...to my palette it's watery and bitter. Vile stuff just like the people that serve it. The flavoured stuff they serve is ok. Once I walked in and asked for a coffee, the "barista" asked me what flavour...I didn't understand so I said coffee flavour...he looked at me with such disdain I felt bad for bothering him lol.
I also have a Nespresso and it makes really good espresso (my favourites are the Roma and the Ristretto) and lattes with the built in frother. Cost about 15% of what my dad paid for his saeco machine and the quality isn't far off.

But if I could only ever drink one kind of coffee for the rest of my life I'd use one of these, mine is almost 20 years old and still makes perfect espresso:
View attachment 41772
I have never had great luck with a mocha pot. I've tried many times and had old italian ladies make me some and its passable, but never my preferred choice.

Back
Top Bottom