Church Burnings - Are these Hate Crimes? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Church Burnings - Are these Hate Crimes?

For those interested here is some reading.
21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act
"Since its creation in 1876, the Indian Act has shaped, controlled, and constrained the lives and opportunities of Indigenous Peoples, and is at the root of many enduring stereotypes. Bob Joseph''s book comes at a key time in the reconciliation process, when awareness from both Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities is at a crescendo. Joseph explains how Indigenous Peoples can step out from under the Indian Act and return to self-government, self-determination, and self-reliance - and why doing so would result in a better country for every Canadian. He dissects the complex issues around truth and reconciliation, and clearly demonstrates why learning about the Indian Act''s cruel, enduring legacy is essential for the country to move toward true reconciliation."
Is someone suggesting that by not letting self-serving twits in Ottawa control everything there will be an improvement?

Where do I sign up?

It’s not a hate crime because it’s against the white religion and white people who committed the atrocities. /s

Hate crimes can only be committed against minorities for some reason. If it goes the other way you’re a racist. Double standard.

It’s ridiculous how people can burn down churches, and have literally zero repercussions for this. I may be wrong but I’ve not heard of anyone getting arrested and charged with arson for these.

I agree with you. This is not cool and shouldn’t be tolerated but somehow is acceptable.
It’s ridiculous how churches can kill First Nations childern, and have literally zero repercussions for this. I may be wrong but I’ve not heard of anyone getting arrested and charged with murder for these.

Can we have a problem with one and not the other?

It’s ridiculous how churches can kill First Nations childern, and have literally zero repercussions for this.

But the kids would have died anyways is the constant argument. Which is full of ****.

The commission ultimately determined that at least 3,200 children died while a student at a Residential School; one in every 50 students enrolled during the program’s nearly 120-year existence. That’s a death rate comparable to the number of Canadian POWs who died in the custody of Nazi Germany during the Second World War.

But if this is true, the number becomes 1 in 25.

The chair of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Justice Murray Sinclair, has said the true number of deaths could be as high as 6,000.

And compared to the rest of the country.

But despite occasional efforts at reform, even as late as the 1940s the death rates within residential schools were up to five times higher than among Canadian children as a whole.

It’s ridiculous how churches can kill First Nations childern, and have literally zero repercussions for this. I may be wrong but I’ve not heard of anyone getting arrested and charged with murder for these.

Can we have a problem with one and not the other?
I agree with you 100%. The people responsible (if still alive) and the establishment should be punished for these horrible crimes.

Through a court of law. Not through vigilante justice.

As a Catholic, the Church disgusts me for what they've done throughout their history...but do we judge those that wronged others by today's standards? Is something that was done back 100, 200, 300, or 500 years ago the fault of those that are alive today? Yes the schools were open in the 90s...find those responsible and charge them. Do I go yell at young Ukrainians/Russians/Germans for what they did to the Polaks a generation ago? No...they didn't do it. They had nothing to do with it.

This is a very difficult topic, but the fact remains that this will be investigated, and I would hope that justice can be delivered to those wronged.

I'm not against the Church / those running the schools being charged and held to account. I'm against the burning of churches by whoever has chosen to do this. If you saw mosques, synagogues, temples being burned there would be an uproar through society that would rip right through it all....but I'm not hearing that against the Church. Is it because we all know? Or is it because anyone that speaks against this act is somehow 'racist' because they don't support wanton burning/damage of the establishment?

Is it because we all know? Or is it because anyone that speaks against this act is somehow 'racist' because they don't support wanton burning/damage of the establishment?

This all blew up in the government's face in 1969. The 1969 White Paper called "Statement of the Government of Canada on Indian Policy" where Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and then Minister of Indian Affairs Jean Chretien answer to the Indian question was to simply end all the treaties and force them to intergrate into Canadian society.

This inspired Natives to speak out and not accept status quo about many things including the Residential schools. And it started to become public knowledge. Which lead to the first apology in 1986 by the United Church of Canada. This 1970 to 1990s period saw those 64 schools in my earlier list closed.

By 2006, the largest class action lawsuit in Canadian history saw $4.9 billion be alloted for the Residential school survivors. In 2008 Harper gave a formal apology. While the Truth and Reconciliation report came out in 2015.

That's half a century of this being in the news.

or YouTube, copy and paste. For some reason my YouTube links get blocked.

The Chief Apologises | Scot Squad | BBC Scotland Comedy​

This is a very difficult topic, but the fact remains that this will be investigated, and I would hope that justice can be delivered to those wronged.
Will it be investigated? Has the process started, it should have with the first burial site?

You take responsibility of the kids, you take responsibility of a proper burial. Schools were obligated to pay for the costs as part of the money given to them by the government. As per the first quote you obviously glossed over.

So the schools tried to offload the costs to the parents instead. But schools didn't stop there to try and skirt their responsibilities for a proper burial with the child's family. It was quite common to get students to dig shallow graves for their classmates as undertaker costs were too "expensive";

And when things got bad, like during the Spanish flu, mass graves were simply easier and cheaper.
Residential schools, hospitals and municipal gov'ts were responsible for providing pauper's burials (basic grave and burial) to any indigent person, not just Indigenous. None were responsible returning deceased home, grave memorials, caskets or funerals -- those were responsibility of the family. Most hospitals and churches had an attached cemetery used for pauper burials.

In many areas an indigent persons body was first offered to medical schools to avoid the cost of burial, this did not require consent from the family. This did impact children of the poor, particularly those who died away from home. Indigenous children were interned the same way except they were not offered to science against family wishes.

As far as undertaker costs, this wasn't always done on those days. My family had a grave site on their farm outside Winnipeg, during the Spanish Flu epidemic, 2 of my great uncle's children and several sharecropper (Hutterite) children died on the farm. They were buried by their families in shallow as graves (24") which were standard in those days.

It's legal to bury someone on your property in Ontario. Embalming is nor required, nor is a casket. Just make sure there is 24" of soil in top of the body.

This is a good lesson in when you conquer a group of people wipe them out or assimilate them or you will have problems down the road. Same reason when the British conquered the French they should have killed them all or assimilated them and we wouldn’t have the Quebec disaster we have now that drags down Canada constantly.
If the natives had conquered the white man you can be damn sure they would have wiped them out and not built schools trying to change them to their culture and language . Same thing natives did when they conquered other tribes before the white man showed up. Full scale rape slaughter ,taking their lands and torture was the way the indigenous waged war on each other

This is a good lesson in when you conquer a group of people wipe them out or assimilate them or you will have problems down the road. Same reason when the British conquered the French they should have killed them all or assimilated them and we wouldn’t have the Quebec disaster we have now that drags down Canada constantly.
If the natives had conquered the white man you can be damn sure they would have wiped them out and not built schools trying to change them to their culture and language . Same thing natives did when they conquered other tribes before the white man showed up. Full scale rape slaughter ,taking their lands and torture was the way the indigenous waged war on each other

While I agree with the above from rationality: move to China for that kind of behavior. Why do you think they're literally removing Muslims? It's **** your differences, assimilate or die.

As my mom used to say......my house, my rules.

Will it be investigated? Has the process started, it should have with the first burial site?
Agreed. It should be. And the parties responsible should be put on trial and put away as the law says.

However, I’m not optimistic it’ll happen. I hope it does….but I doubt it.

How are you going to change the past?

It doesn't have to change the past, just change the system that allowed those policies to occur. To show genuine compassion for the wrongs that have been done, rather then just lip service.

That's the problem. You can't. Recognizing the past helps but spending a fortune on the past underfunds the future.

The Canadian government already settled a dollar value that has been spent for Residential School victims. Worrying about spending money on this one issue involving the Natives is silly.

Most things that need to be fixed with the natives, involve fixing the treaties that we negotiated on bad faith. With 89% of all land in Canada being Crown land, we got space to expand their territories and give them more suitable land without costing a penny.

You say that like the land treaty is a sham.
Every mine site is on native land. In which they pull the land ownership card every time they think more money. Which is quite often.

ever wonder why hwy 69 has never been completed as a divided lane hwy?

The feds just shovel out another 8billion today over drinking water lawsuits.

Let’s see if they put it to good use or it magically disappeared like most of the funds that have been gave away in the PAST.
It doesn't have to change the past, just change the system that allowed those policies to occur. To show genuine compassion for the wrongs that have been done, rather then just lip service.

The Canadian government already settled a dollar value that has been spent for Residential School victims. Worrying about spending money on this one issue involving the Natives is silly.

Most things that need to be fixed with the natives, involve fixing the treaties that we negotiated on bad faith. With 89% of all land in Canada being Crown land, we got space to expand their territories and give them more suitable land without costing a penny.

What makes you think they were in bad faith? Lands were exchanged for defence, titled lands and rights to use vast areas of crown lands and other entitlements they craved.

My family sold a farm in Milton in 1988 for $4000 acre. Building lots on that farm sell for $600,000 today, or about $4 million an acre. That would be $800million or so, do you think I can go by back to claim a bad deal 35 years later and demand a chunk of the upside? I didn’t invest in the roads, infrastructure or let time increase the value.

Back
Top Bottom