Church Burnings - Are these Hate Crimes? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Church Burnings - Are these Hate Crimes?

I would think the catholic church would be fighting to get this information out...

Not really, still a lot of kids buried there.

Cowessess First Nation Chief Cadmus Delorme said that, according to local oral history, up to 75 per cent of the interred are children who attended Marieval residential school, which was run by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.

By not being willing to send the dead kids home for burial. The Church assumes responsibility of their graves. And did a piss poor job at that as well.

By not being willing to send the dead kids home for burial. The Church assumes responsibility of their graves. And did a piss poor job at that as well.

Not quite. The church would ask for reimbursement for coffins etc. for a proper burial or transportation costs to return the body to the reserve (knowing that in all likelihood they couldn't pay). Same, but not same same.

I guess we're reading the article differently.
What I am getting from this:
The media reports 751 unmarked graves at a closed residential school.
The populous FREAKS, lots and lots of coverage.

Locals say: (locals that INCLUDE the local indigenous)
HOL UP
That was a marked parish cemetery till the mid 60s that, for a reasons that are disputed, had the headstones removed.
There is documentation as to who is interred where and when, including children from the residential school
People that are alive today have seen these 4 mission registers and the band HAS possession of one of them (sneaky devils!), the other three are held by the Catholic church
It seems to me the Catholic church could put out SOME of the fire under their arses by releasing those records. At least to ME, it would indemnify themselves of a ton of badness, NOT ALL but a lot IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.
I'm not gonna hang the "local" residential school for not returning dead kids to their parents.
I put that firmly in the lap of the government of the time, that was signing the cheques
And IN THIS CASE it seems the "church" did all they could with the dead kids (how they got dead kids and how many dead kids and how they got so MANY dead kids, is a different discussion) and they have documentation to this effect... that they won't release......

Not quite. The church would ask for reimbursement for coffins etc. for a proper burial or transportation costs to return the body to the reserve (knowing that in all likelihood they couldn't pay). Same, but not same same.

They took the responsibility for the kids. It was their responsibility to return them.

It is the moral responsibility for anyone with kids in their care to see to them. Not just dispose of them once government funding is cut because the child is no longer living.

They took the responsibility for the kids. It was their responsibility to return them.

It is the moral responsibility for anyone with kids in their care to see to them. Not just dispose of them once government funding is cut because the child is no longer living.

Don't put words into my mouth. I didn't say it wasn't their responsibility. I said your claim that they weren't willing to return the deceased children was wrong.

I said your claim that they weren't willing to return the deceased children was wrong.

The kids were taken for free as far as the parents were concerned to go to the schools. They were also returned for free during what ever breaks they were allotted.

The policy is recorded in an undated memorandum by J. D. McLean, who was departmental secretary from 1897 to 1933. According to McLean,

"When a pupil dies at a residential school, it is considered by this Department that the school authorities should be responsible for the expenses."

Followed by;

In 1938, Catherine Lacore requested that the body of her son, who was dying of tubercular meningitis at the Spanish school, be sent to her in Cornwall, Ontario, for burial upon his death. The response from Indian Aairs to the school was:

"The expense of a long journey such as this would be, would entail an expenditure which the Department does not feel warranted in authorizing."

Followed by;

“Ordinarily the body will be returned to the reserve for burial only when transportation, embalming costs and all other expenses are borne by next of kin. Transportation may be authorized, however, in cases where the cost of burial on the reserve is sufficiently low to make transportation economically advantageous.”

Followed by;

When Charles Hunter drowned while attending the Fort Albany, Ontario, school, it was decided, without consultation with his parents, to bury him in Moosonee rather than send his body home to Peawanuck near Hudson Bay.

Followed by;

Students who died at school were rarely sent home unless their parents could aord to pay for transportation. Unless they lived in close proximity to the school, most parents could not aord such costs.

I don't know, maybe I'm living in a fantasy world. Everyone else is right. I doubt that though. Plenty of historic evidence of a lack of care in the childern's lives and deaths at residential schools for anyone willing to actually learn some history and not just try and white wash history.

That document by the way has a list of schools. For all those who act like it's ancient history. Schools that were shut down the last 50 years, so their students are still very much alive, include;
  1. St. Mary’s, Blood, Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic
  2. St. Paul’s, Blood Anglican
  3. Ermineskin Roman Catholic
  4. Anahim Lake Non-denominational
  5. Blue Quills, Saddle Lake, Sacred Heart Roman Catholic
  6. Cranbrook, St. Eugene’s, Kootenay Roman Catholic
  7. Lejac, Fraser Lake Roman Catholic
  8. Kamloops Roman Catholic
  9. Kuper Island Roman Catholic
  10. Sechelt Roman Catholic
  11. Lower Post Roman Catholic
  12. Cariboo, St. Joseph’s, Williams Lake Roman Catholic
  13. Christie, Clayoquot, Kakawis Roman Catholic
  14. St. Mary’s, Mission Roman Catholic
  15. Birtle Presbyterian
  16. Brandon Methodist, United Church after 1925 (1929?), Roman Catholic (1970–1972)
  17. Churchill Vocational Centre Non-denominational
  18. McKay Anglican
  19. Clearwater, Guy Hill, Clearwater Lake Roman Catholic
  20. Assiniboia Roman Catholic
  21. Portage la Prairie Presbyterian, later United Church
  22. Sandy Bay Roman Catholic
  23. Fort Franklin Hostel Non-denominational
  24. Fleming Hall Anglican
  25. Bompas Hall Anglican
  26. Lapointe Hall Roman Catholic
  27. Lapointe Hall, Deh Cho Hall Roman Catholic/Non-denominational
  28. Breynat Hall Roman Catholic
  29. Grandin College Roman Catholic
  30. Grollier Hall Roman Catholic
  31. Stringer Hall Anglican
  32. Akaitcho Hall Non-denominational
  33. Federal Hostel at Cambridge Bay Non-denominational
  34. Federal Hostel at Frobisher Bay (Ukkivik) Frobisher Bay Non-denominational
  35. Federal Hostel at Pond Inlet/Mittimatalik Non-denominational
  36. Mohawk Institute Anglican
  37. Cristal Lake Northern Light Gospel Mission
  38. St. Anne’s, Fort Albany Roman Catholic
  39. Fort Frances, St. Margaret’s Roman Catholic
  40. St. Mary’s, Kenora Roman Catholic
  41. Cecilia Jerey, Kenora, Shoal Lake Presbyterian, United Church briey, Presbyterian
  42. Bishop Horden Hall, Moose Fort, Moose Factory Anglican
  43. Poplar Hill Development School Northern Light Gospel Mission
  44. Shingwauk Home Anglican
  45. Pelican Lake, Pelican Falls Anglican
  46. Stirland Lake, Wahbon Bay Academy Northern Light Gospel Mission
  47. Amos, Amos Student Residence, St-Marc Residence, St-Marc-de-Figuery Roman Catholic
  48. Fort George, St. Phillip’s Anglican
  49. Fort George, St. Joseph’s Mission, Residence Couture, Sainte-Thérèse-de-l’Enfant-Jésus Roman Catholic
  50. Fort George Hostels Non-denominational
  51. Federal Hostel at Great Whale River, Postede-la-Baleine, Kuujjuaraapik Non-denominational
  52. La Tuque Anglican
  53. Mistassini Hostels Non-denominational
  54. Pointe Bleue Roman Catholic
  55. Sept-Îles, Seven Islands, Notre Dame, Maliotenam Roman Catholic
  56. Beauval, Lac la Plonge, Île-à-la-Crosse Roman Catholic
  57. St. Michael’s, Duck Lake Roman Catholic
  58. Gordon’s, Punnichy Anglican
  59. Marieval, Cowessess, Crooked Lake Roman Catholic
  60. Lebret, Qu’Appelle, St. Paul’s, Whitecalf Roman Catholic
  61. Lestock, Muscowequan, Muskowekwan, Touchwood Roman Catholic
  62. Prince Albert, St. Alban’s, All Saints, St. Barnabas, Lac La Ronge Anglican
  63. Coudert Hall Roman Catholic
  64. Yukon Hall Non-denominational/Protestant

Followed by;

“Ordinarily the body will be returned to the reserve for burial only when transportation, embalming costs and all other expenses are borne by next of kin. Transportation may be authorized, however, in cases where the cost of burial on the reserve is sufficiently low to make transportation economically advantageous.”

So you support your statement that the church wasn't willing to return dead children by posting a quote saying that they were, provided the expenses were covered............

385.gif

So you support your statement that the church wasn't willing to return dead children by posting a quote saying that they were, provided the expenses were covered............

You take responsibility of the kids, you take responsibility of a proper burial. Schools were obligated to pay for the costs as part of the money given to them by the government. As per the first quote you obviously glossed over.

The policy is recorded in an undated memorandum by J. D. McLean, who was departmental secretary from 1897 to 1933. According to McLean,

"When a pupil dies at a residential school, it is considered by this Department that the school authorities should be responsible for the expenses."

So the schools tried to offload the costs to the parents instead. But schools didn't stop there to try and skirt their responsibilities for a proper burial with the child's family. It was quite common to get students to dig shallow graves for their classmates as undertaker costs were too "expensive";

According to Chapleau, Ontario, student Michael Cachagee, the students had to help dig the graves. It is a memory that has haunted him all his life. In a 2010 media account, he said that because the graves dug in the winter were shallow, in the spring, bears would root about in the cemetery and feed on the student remains.

And when things got bad, like during the Spanish flu, mass graves were simply easier and cheaper.

In fact, several bodies were piled up in an empty cabin because there was no grave ready. A large common grave was dug for them.

None of that alters the fact that they were willing to send the bodies back to the reserves. All you've done is reiterate (ad nauseam) that they were being obtuse about doing so.

None of that alters the fact that they were willing to send the bodies back to the reserves. All you've done is reiterate (ad nauseam) that they were being obtuse about doing so.

Willingness to do it, which they were funded by the government for, and giving lip service by skirting their financial and moral responsibilities are two different things.

What part of it doesn't matter if there was shenanigans, they were willing to send the bodies back don't you understand?

For someone who waltzed in and (somewhat pompously) presented themselves as well educated, you sure make a lot of rudimentary mistakes.

What part of it doesn't matter if there was shenanigans, they were willing to send the bodies back don't you understand?

It does matter, at minimum it's breach of contract from their responsibilities they agreed to when becoming a residential school. But not only defrauding the government, but also defrauding the parents for money they are responsible to spend, well that under Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46) Section 301, comes with up to a 14 year jail sentence.

But keep believing whatever you'd like.

It does matter, at minimum it's breach of contract from their responsibilities they agreed to when becoming a residential school. But not only defrauding the government, but also defrauding the parents for money they are responsible to spend, well that under Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46) Section 301, comes with up to a 14 year jail sentence.

But keep believing whatever you'd like.

Ok, let's try a force restart. Were the churches willing to ship the bodies back to the reservations? It's a simple yes or no answer.

Nothing new... to anyone that actually pays attention to the stories.
What part is "same old same old"
The part where the un-documented cemetery outside the residential school was actually well documented?
Or the part where what they thought was an un-documented residential school cemetery was actually a well documented parish cemetery that was used by everybody of the parish and peoples beyond for over 120 years?
Or the part where it has been proven the Catholic church has documentation on what was thought to be a residential school cemetery, when they keep saying they don't?
Or the part where the parish priest had a hissy fit and had all the headstones in a parish cemetery removed?

I guess I've been snoozin' then. This is all new to me... and to CBC News.
Can you give us more info on these "nothing new" instances like this... you know... cuz YOU'RE paying attention, and we're not.

What part is "same old same old"
The part where the un-documented cemetery outside the residential school was actually well documented?
Or the part where what they thought was an un-documented residential school cemetery was actually a well documented parish cemetery that was used by everybody of the parish and peoples beyond for over 120 years?

Or the part where it has been proven the Catholic church has documentation on what was thought to be a residential school cemetery, when they keep saying they don't?
Or the part where the parish priest had a hissy fit and had all the headstones in a parish cemetery removed?

I guess I've been snoozin' then. This is all new to me... and to CBC News.
Can you give us more info on these "nothing new" instances like this... you know... cuz YOU'RE paying attention, and we're not.

It was covered in previous releases and follow ups. Some of the Native reps, that did press releases, made a point of saying these weren' undocumented school burials... most of them anyway.. and that most were known, documented and used by the community and not just the schools.
When the story of the 751 graves broke... They came on the next day to clarify a lot of what you brought up.

I have a lot of free time... too much some times.

For those interested here is some reading.
21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act
"Since its creation in 1876, the Indian Act has shaped, controlled, and constrained the lives and opportunities of Indigenous Peoples, and is at the root of many enduring stereotypes. Bob Joseph''s book comes at a key time in the reconciliation process, when awareness from both Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities is at a crescendo. Joseph explains how Indigenous Peoples can step out from under the Indian Act and return to self-government, self-determination, and self-reliance - and why doing so would result in a better country for every Canadian. He dissects the complex issues around truth and reconciliation, and clearly demonstrates why learning about the Indian Act''s cruel, enduring legacy is essential for the country to move toward true reconciliation."

Back
Top Bottom