Charlotte and I go West | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Charlotte and I go West

Looks awesome - and hot!
I've read great things about the road #31A between New Denver and Kaslo - not too far from where you are.
Enjoy the mountains Kiley.

Day 5 Monday

Today was just a short day
I rode from Cranbrook up to Radium Hot Springs
I'm staying at the Bighorn Hotel for 2 nights
This is a great little mom-and-pop
Tomorrow I will explore Banff and Cranmore
There's bikes everywhere here
I noticed on the way here there was a steady flow of bikes going east still there are quite a few bikes here one would assume that anyone that was going to go to Sturgis this year change their mind and went to BC / Alberta area

I had a wonderful breakfast this morning beside a lake that consisted of yogurt / orange juice and leftover Caesar salad from the night before Here are a few pics from today
Charlotte approves these flowers

enjoy

IMG-20200810-103645.jpg

IMG-20200810-104726.jpg

IMG-20200810-112113.jpg

IMG-20200810-104912.jpg

IMG-20200810-122047.jpg

IMG-20200810-143445.jpg

Tomorrow I will explore Banff and Cranmore

I don't know how much time you have, but you should consider a visit to Lake Louise, and then take the breathtaking ride along the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Fantastic!

Thanks for the updates. Have a great time.

and the Bow Valley Parkway as well. Enjoy.
^^^^This^^^^
And if you can do it at night, 1,000,000 times better.
Park at a rest spot, or anywhere that you can.
Wait for a train.
It'll light up the valley with a view you won't believe, or ever forget.
Enjoy the show!

Hey Kiley,

How have you found the Covid precautions where you have been staying, buying food from, washrooms etc?
I'm asking because that is my only real concern with heading out west - i.e. bouncing from one motel to another, then staying with childhood friends in a remote town near Prince George and then travelling some more and staying with my sister in Vancouver and then travelling some more and coming home with some immuno-compromised in my extended family. All the while I'm using public washrooms and staying in motels, buying food from restaurants etc. Just wanted to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

This trip report has got me thinking about doing something similar next summer with the wife. I've got 6 weeks of vacation starting next year (yay for seniority) and could certainly take 4 of them for a trip like this.

Hey Kiley,

How have you found the Covid precautions where you have been staying, buying food from, washrooms etc?
I'm asking because that is my only real concern with heading out west - i.e. bouncing from one motel to another, then staying with childhood friends in a remote town near Prince George and then travelling some more and staying with my sister in Vancouver and then travelling some more and coming home with some immuno-compromised in my extended family. All the while I'm using public washrooms and staying in motels, buying food from restaurants etc. Just wanted to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

Not OP but just came back from similar trip. Motels/hotels have staff wearing masks plus big chains have plexi glass installed in counters. Pools are closed. Breakfast is usually prepackaged.
I had some lysol wipes I didn't use much. But hand sanitizer I used a lot, especially being out and about most day.
Most places want face coverings, but going further west they are more relaxed towards customers wearing one. Especially BC.

Staff almost everywhere in masks though.
Some places limit on customers inside, segregate sitting areas, or close bathrooms /indoor eating altogether.
It would depend on your comfort level but it's fairly similar scenario across the country now.

yup
similar experience with my travels this summer

distancing and masks are pretty much universal now
and easy to arrange

although indoor dining is now allowed, I won't do it
weather is nice, don't need it

Lysol wipes are a good idea for hotel rooms
the remote control, door knobs, counters
mask in public areas is common

what you don't know is who just checked out earlier in the day
first thing I do is fire the windows open, turn the AC on full blast
and get out of the room for an hour

good opportunity to have a cold beer while checking the bike over

sorry to clutter your thread kiley
really enjoying your comments and the pics

Hey all
Before I post my ride report I’ll answer a few questions
I welcome all questions and comments
Covid precautions…
Shane for the most part this is been pretty good
Masks worn by me in Ontario not as much in Manitoba and Saskatchewan
I wore it lots in Alberta not as much in BC

Washrooms…
For the most part most of the washrooms I've been to are clean
Rest areas have good washrooms and are plentiful in Ontario Alberta and BC

Motels…
These have been great
The one that I'm staying at him Radium Hot Springs is a real gem
It's a mom and pop but kept it really clean

Restaurants… I've been trying to avoid these as the price of beer is very expensive.
I went to a No Frills the other day and picked up supplies there was a lineup to get in and you had to wear a mask inside but no issues

Road spot-check …
Yep I went through one in Saskatchewan
I'm pretty sure on a shirt it said Environmental Officer
he just asked the standard questions where you coming from where you Goin yada yada yada

NYX yep I agree with everything he says

JF no worries about clutter man feel free to post any questions comments or concerns.

the people… the people have been great on this trip take today for example there was a terrible motorcycle accident and a traffic jam that went on for hours a beautiful lady invited me to her back deck for a cold beverage while we waited for the traffic to subside
A complete stranger did this how lucky is that?
Pilot
this trip is amazing however this will be the last time I ride all the way out here and back
plans are already in motion to make this an easier trip in the future
Cold beer then I'll post later

this trip is amazing however this will be the last time I ride all the way out here and back

agreed. This year it is what it is, back in 2015 flew same bike to Vancouver, cause only 1 week vacation, (and rode back through US ) and it was good experience. Not sure I would want to do a ride both ways via Canada again.

Thank you Nyx ,J_F and Kiley. Appreciate the detailed info. So does my wife and possibly my mother - both of whom are health care professionals!

Kiley there was one really nice shot you had from yesterday - the one above the photo with all the Zinnia flowers and it had a nice winding lake in it. Something that always resonates with me on long trips is the kindness of strangers. Good to hear you've had some that too.

Yep - fly out, ride back - the dollars work out okay if you are hotel/motel ....that extra week of roaming BC is excellent and getting out of a plane at 10 am and riding 99 by noon is priceless.

Coming back with the prevailing winds is easier and also lets you stay in a pocket of decent weather as you travel east.

Yep - fly out, ride back - the dollars work out okay if you are hotel/motel ....that extra week of roaming BC is excellent and getting out of a plane at 10 am and riding 99 by noon is priceless.

Coming back with the prevailing winds is easier and also lets you stay in a pocket of decent weather as you travel east.
Agree mac but that didn't work this year
shipping was crazy expensive
but still I'm happy with the way I came out here.
this is my 6th time coming out west so I'm pretty familiar with it all.

Thank you Nyx ,J_F and Kiley. Appreciate the detailed info. So does my wife and possibly my mother - both of whom are health care professionals!

Kiley there was one really nice shot you had from yesterday - the one above the photo with all the Zinnia flowers and it had a nice winding lake in it. Something that always resonates with me on long trips is the kindness of strangers. Good to hear you've had some that too.
I know the pic Shane...its about 2kms from the motel that I'm stayin at in Radium Hot Springs.
would love to try a sunrise from that spot

Tuesday day 6
Hey all I'm spending another night in Radium Hot Springs
Today I did a wonderful ride to Banff and then up to Lake Louise
I was able to ride part of the Bow Valley Parkway
Banff... Banff is a wonderful little town with a lot of money
Most of the downtown was closed off to vehicles but was open to foot traffic
Everyone was wearing a mask
Bow Valley Parkway was a wonderful ride and did not disappoint
I then made my way up to Lake Louise I stopped here for a picnic and chatted it up with a couple of girls doing hike
I then started making my way back to Radium Hot Springs Unfortunately there was a terrible accident and traffic was backed up for hours
A wonderful lady named Heather invited me to her place for a couple of cold beverages on her deck
We did this while waiting for the traffic to clear
Thank you so much Heather for getting me out of that terrible Jam Tomorrow... Things have changed
I was going to go up to Jasper however looking at the weather I've decided to make my way over to Sicamous BC

Enjoy today's pics

IMG-20200811-082306.jpg

IMG-20200811-080605.jpg

IMG-20200811-103356.jpg

IMG-20200811-104506.jpg

IMG-20200811-115445.jpg

IMG-20200811-121503.jpg

IMG-20200811-121709.jpg

IMG-20200811-134931.jpg

Last edited:
If you're going up to Sicamous BC then take a look at highway 6 to Galena Bay then 23 to Revelstoke or come back that way. Spectacular road, but then most of the roads through the mountains are amazing. Highway 3, near the US border is a great alternate and much less travelled route back to AB.

Wed day 7
Here is today’s route
4871-4861 St Marys St to 449-469 Main St
Hey all
I am in Sicamous BC …another time zone
Nice leisurely ride along the water today
There were rivers and lakes in snow-capped mountains
I'm only here for the one night …tomorrow I will make my way over to Cashe Creek
The mountains are so big here
Biggest I've ever seen
I met up with a lot of other riders today …a lot of them were from Ontario
I took a few pics today
Charlotte making friends
friggin gofers are everywhere here
Shane you had asked about the washrooms and so here’s a pick
Pretty state-of-the-art ...of course once you open the door and go inside it's like taking a dump in a bucket
Charlotte approves this ice cream
Half-price chicken wings tonight so I checked out a couple place

There's also a YouTube link
I got lucky with a train yesterday hope it's okay to post

IMG-20200812-081846.jpg

IMG-20200812-084629.jpg

IMG-20200812-111015.jpg

IMG-20200812-111154.jpg

IMG-20200812-111944.jpg

IMG-20200812-112445.jpg

Back
Top Bottom