Car Dealers | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car Dealers

Does Toyota own Subaru now?
I remember seeing something in the news about them buying Fujitsu Heavy Industries...or something along those lines..
Toyota owns part of Fujitsu correct....that is why you have the BRZ/86 clones and the new Toybaru EV coming out.

Brought the Highlander home today. Nothing but praise for the dealer and salesperson we dealt with. Likely the easiest most stress free purchase we ever had.

Vehicle is mint. Drives really well. Eerily quiet inside. Very impressed.
When Toyota Canada calls make sure you give 10 out of 10 across the board on the survey questions....even ones that have nothing to do with the salesperson (Did you feel the dealer had sufficient stock etc).

Brought the Highlander home today. Nothing but praise for the dealer and salesperson we dealt with. Likely the easiest most stress free purchase we ever had.

Vehicle is mint. Drives really well. Eerily quiet inside. Very impressed.
Did you get one of these? I think they are required equipment on a new Toyota SUV.

1623756236121.png

Did you get one of these? I think they are required equipment on a new Toyota SUV.

View attachment 49461

No snorkels! The Highlander was bought for the cargo area size, separate opening rear hatch and that’s really it. Oh…and I’ll never buy a mini van. Everything else is gravy. If I really wanted off road chops I would have bought the off road edition forerunner I saw!

When Toyota Canada calls make sure you give 10 out of 10 across the board on the survey questions....even ones that have nothing to do with the salesperson (Did you feel the dealer had sufficient stock etc).

I bought it from a Subaru dealership! The Toyota dealership was the one with the bizarre test drive. Subaru were awesome…no pressure, no drama, no ridiculous sales techniques.

I bought it from a Subaru dealership! The Toyota dealership was the one with the bizarre test drive. Subaru were awesome…no pressure, no drama, no ridiculous sales techniques.

Might be worth it to let Toyota Canada know that trying to buy their product through their dealer network was a pain in the ass….

Might be worth it to let Toyota Canada know that trying to buy their product through their dealer network was a pain in the ass….

Might not go anywhere, that Toyota salesman was just stereotypical. Used all the normal pressure tactics. Aren’t most people aware of these now?

At Subaru everything was just totally stress and pressure free and I wasn’t even buying a Subaru.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Toyota Canada. I'd go straight to the dealership and let the GM/VP know about the issues.

Each dealer is privately owned anyway, the mothership will forward the email to the dealer (if that) and send you a generic response.

I’ll leave a review somewhere.

So the navigation on this Highlander is from 2017. I saw on Amazon that there’s a card you can buy with 2019 maps on it for $25 and there are instructions on how to update the navigation yourself. Apparently dealers charge upwards of $200 for the service, is that right? Thought I’d give this a whirl. 2019 maps ought to be better than 2017.

I’ll leave a review somewhere.

So the navigation on this Highlander is from 2017. I saw on Amazon that there’s a card you can buy with 2019 maps on it for $25 and there are instructions on how to update the navigation yourself. Apparently dealers charge upwards of $200 for the service, is that right? Thought I’d give this a whirl. 2019 maps ought to be better than 2017.
100%….for $25 you’ve got nothing to lose.

100%….for $25 you’ve got nothing to lose.
Except maybe the head unit exploding or being held by ransom ware hijackers maybe.

I just fitted custom cut Phantom mats from Costco and the thing looks like a million dollars!

Might as well do a little review:

The Toyota has less tech than the Honda CRV in the entertainment area, but it drives better. I agree with the reviews that it does everything it’s supposed to do very well. It’s just a bit quiet about doing it. The navigation is snappier and more useful, the cabin noise is way quieter even though my Honda is supposed to have active noise cancelling. The ride is smoother. I know it’s hard to compare the two as they are in slightly different categories and price ranges when new but they are close.

The Toyota does have all the safety gizmos though and they do work well. The lane departure gives you a little warning, the active cruise control works really well except it’s on a weird stick under the windshield washer stem. The parking brake is the old fashioned style not the Honda electronic style.

I like it, it’s understated. It just feels solid and everything just works…except one thing.

The voice recognition is awful. I’ve “trained” it twice and it still wants to send me to random places…I tested it with “navigate to the airport” and it gave me a list of catholic schools to choose from? I know I’m a Limey but I don’t have a lisp or speech impediment and I’m not a priest.

Last edited:
Except maybe the head unit exploding or being held by ransom ware hijackers maybe.

I just fitted custom cut Phantom mats from Costco and the thing looks like a million dollars!
Ya I guess it's possible....or just keep the 2017 maps. There may be some less shady map updates.

The voice recognition is awful. I’ve “trained” it twice and it still wants to send me to random places…I tested it with “navigate to the airport” and it gave me a list of catholic schools to choose from? I know I’m a Limey but I don’t have a lisp or speech impediment and I’m not a priest.
I'd retort with Android Auto + Google Maps (miles better than any GPS for anything except following a predetermined route), but a recent update has caused all sorts of Bluetooth issues...

I'd retort with Android Auto + Google Maps (miles better than any GPS for anything except following a predetermined route), but a recent update has caused all sorts of Bluetooth issues...

Yes, I like android auto in the Honda but the Toyota doesn’t have that capability despite being one year newer. I’ll just run it on the phone though instead of on the screen.

Yes, I like android auto in the Honda but the Toyota doesn’t have that capability despite being one year newer. I’ll just run it on the phone though instead of on the screen.
Right. I forgot that Toyota didn't build for the phone apps until MY2020. If you want a nicely built phone mount that doesn't rely on sticking to the dash or vent mounts, I really liked a ProClip unit I had a while back...

Back
Top Bottom