Car Dealers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car Dealers

Yeah, that's where the low depreciation comes into play, on both ends of the car ownership experience.

Another car worth consider is a recent gen Grand Cherokee, pretty sure all of them have a separate rear glass opening. They drive unbelievably well, not a fan of any other Chrysler product, but the Grand Cherokee's are absolutely amazing on the road. Doesn't have to be an SRT or V8, even the V6's are great. They have the feel and ride quality of something much more expensive.

A few years back we looked at some Jeep Cherokees but the one thing I remember was some fit and finish issues and also a lingering doubt about reliability as a friend referred to his Jeep with less than glowing terms.

I just called the dealership and asked for a hold to be put on the Highlander SE. This thing is newer than our other vehicle and has less kilometers and is a good fit with some nice upgrades for us. I asked if there was any wiggle room on asking price, discounts on winter tires/rims etc. We will see what they say.

It’s being sold out of a Subaru dealership and the sales guy said that there was quite a bit of crossover with components of the Highlander as they use the same Japanese suppliers for tech items etc. That helped a little with the decision too.

Yeah, that's where the low depreciation comes into play, on both ends of the car ownership experience.

Another car worth consider is a recent gen Grand Cherokee, pretty sure all of them have a separate rear glass opening. They drive unbelievably well, not a fan of any other Chrysler product, but the Grand Cherokee's are absolutely amazing on the road. Doesn't have to be an SRT or V8, even the V6's are great. They have the feel and ride quality of something much more expensive.
the few jeep owners i know love the vehicle but reliability has been...unpleasant.

the few jeep owners i know love the vehicle but reliability has been...unpleasant.

Yeah, it is an FCA product... FWIW, I did drive (wasn't mine) a 2012'ish with 170k km for about 6 months. Put about 15k km on it, had an issue with both broken washer nozzles breaking and a very random immobilizer issue causing a no-start.

On my 3rd now. First was a 93 limited, then an 02, finally the sister Commander 2010. They were all driven to 400k before being retired. I still have the commander, it has 400k and is doing rough duty in Northern Ontario these days.

These cars cost me nothing but routine maint. Parts are dirt cheap except for the specialty diesels and SRT version . You could pull a highlander out of a ditch with a grand cherokee.

Perhaps I have been lucky. I've had a jeep in my driveway since 1980, I can't recall any of them requiring a major repair. My winter beater is a 2015 Patriot, never seen a shop.

oh my, a toyota vs Jeep, no contest.
If we’re talking Highlander vs Grand Cherokee then game on. I’ll bring my ‘10, you bring your Toy. You can tow the 10,000 lb boat up to Mazinaw, we can run a few hydro roads from Cloyne to Flinton. After that we’ll decide whether I tow the boat or Highlander home.

Or would you prefer a more highlander oriented shootout where we see who can get the best parking spots by climbing curbs at Pusateri’s?

If we’re talking Highlander vs Grand Cherokee then game on. I’ll bring my ‘10, you bring your Toy. You can tow the 10,000 lb boat up to Mazinaw, we can run a few hydro roads from Cloyne to Flinton. After that we’ll decide whether I tow the boat or Highlander home.

Or would you prefer a more highlander oriented shootout where we see who can get the best parking spots by climbing curbs at Pusateri’s?
Or drive back and forth from BC to Newfoundland non stop and see which one breaks down first....

The op was cross shopping a highlander with the jeep.

That tells me he was going to use the jeep in similar discipline as the highlander

Like I said ..... no contest.

Im going to postpone replacing my Acura SUV as long as humanly possible, I hate the idea of paying for new tech that I couldn't give a rats ass about...such as adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, auto shutoff at red lights, definitely couldn't care less about a panoramic sunroof. Just give me a smooth ride, lots of power, Japanese reliability, and an awesome stereo, I'm happy.

Im going to postpone replacing my Acura SUV as long as humanly possible, I hate the idea of paying for new tech that I couldn't give a rats ass about...such as adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, auto shutoff at red lights, definitely couldn't care less about a panoramic sunroof. Just give me a smooth ride, lots of power, Japanese reliability, and an awesome stereo, I'm happy.
Agree with all of the above, substitute the stereo with an Android/Apple interface for maps and please delete the CVT gear box.

Adaptive cruise is actually pretty good for long highway drones.

as they use the same Japanese suppliers for tech items etc. That helped a little with the decision too.

Does Toyota own Subaru now?
I remember seeing something in the news about them buying Fujitsu Heavy Industries...or something along those lines..

Does Toyota own Subaru now?
I remember seeing something in the news about them buying Fujitsu Heavy Industries...or something along those lines..

I think one of them owns a percentage of the other! Not sure which. It’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned for this particular deal.

John

Agree with all of the above, substitute the stereo with an Android/Apple interface for maps and please delete the CVT gear box.
My previous SUV had a CVT...not really a big fan....CVTs are great for snowmobiles though !

The op was cross shopping a highlander with the jeep.

That tells me he was going to use the jeep in similar discipline as the highlander

Like I said ..... no contest.
The grocery getter SUV category has always seemed pointless to me, as long as people want 4wd gas’s guzzling city capable suvs they will be available.

My little Jeep is my winter beater, I also use it to move stuff that’s awkward in my car (like my dog, dirt bike, trailer, and today 20 bags of mulch). It’s 2wd, which is all I’ve ever needed on any Ontario road.

Well…two 70lb dogs in the back with the third row folded down. There’s enough room for one large dog bed there that the two can share. Then all our luggage in the passenger area. Plenty of room for road trips which we are likely to do more of when we open up.

With the CRV the dogs didn’t have a lot of room and it is a pain juggling the automatic hatch and catching and lassoing two dogs with their leads. The flip up glass hatch in the Highlander means life is going to be a lot easier.

Or drive back and forth from BC to Newfoundland non stop and see which one breaks down first....
I’ve gone across the continent back in at least 4 Jeep’s. Stay on Hwy 1 and I think both will be great, maybe a little more comfortable in the Jeep’s. Liven up the drive with a few challenging roads and you’re at +1 for Jeep.

I will say Toyota’s are incredibly well built and dependable. I’ve owned 2, a Corolla and an ES, and ridden in plenty - most are as exciting as a Dodge Caravan, like most Honda’s there good dependability, but not much soul or excitement in those rides.

I’ve gone across the continent back in at least 4 Jeep’s. Stay on Hwy 1 and I think both will be great, maybe a little more comfortable in the Jeep’s. Liven up the drive with a few challenging roads and you’re at +1 for Jeep.

I will say Toyota’s are incredibly well built and dependable. I’ve owned 2, a Corolla and an ES, and ridden in plenty - most are as exciting as a Dodge Caravan, like most Honda’s there good dependability, but not much soul or excitement in those rides.

My dogs don’t need excitement! I’m not ashamed to say the little buggers continue to cost me a fortune but this SUV means they can comfortably come on longer road trips with us.

Back
Top Bottom