Car Dealers | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car Dealers

I bought it from a Subaru dealership! The Toyota dealership was the one with the bizarre test drive. Subaru were awesome…no pressure, no drama, no ridiculous sales techniques.
sorry i thought it was a new one. Individual dealers are obviously good/bad based on their ownership....

Right. I forgot that Toyota didn't build for the phone apps until MY2020. If you want a nicely built phone mount that doesn't rely on sticking to the dash or vent mounts, I really liked a ProClip unit I had a while back...
Wow. I had a base 2015 Chevy with Android auto.

Wow. I had a base 2015 Chevy with Android auto.
Some would say Toyota was doing what they always do and waiting to be sure a technology was mature before offering it as an option.

Others might argue that they tried to hang onto the upgrade stereo cash cow ($6000 package for a $50 GPS and touchscreen etc.) for a lot longer than the rest.

I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle...

Right. I forgot that Toyota didn't build for the phone apps until MY2020. If you want a nicely built phone mount that doesn't rely on sticking to the dash or vent mounts, I really liked a ProClip unit I had a while back...
In my last car I used a phone mount that fit in the CD slot. It was rock solid. Current car got rid of the slot (but android auto so no need for phone to be visible).

Do you have to get them from the US? Also are they phone specific? When I looked I couldn’t see a general holder. Me and the wife have slightly different phones.
You have to combine the base with a mount. When I ordered mine, I was still using a Blackberry handset (one of their last, but shows how long ago!), and so had to use a universal cradle. It worked quite well, though, and could fit multiple handsets:

Universal Cell Phone Car Mounts

If anyone wants a magnetic phone mount I have one lying on my desk, you can have it. The mounting point is your CD slot and you place a flat piece of metal on your device/phone case(I should have a few spares somewhere, I put them in between the case and phone to keep it clean). It’s a very strong magnet. Spigen brand.

You have to combine the base with a mount. When I ordered mine, I was still using a Blackberry handset (one of their last, but shows how long ago!), and so had to use a universal cradle. It worked quite well, though, and could fit multiple handsets:

Universal Cell Phone Car Mounts
Those are pricey! All in US$ and shipping on top. Looking at it seems like I might need one base and two holders that comes to around 90-100US not including shipping.

I found a Chinese knock off of the same mount with a universal holder for $25 from Amazon. Will try that first.

Those are pricey! All in US$ and shipping on top. Looking at it seems like I might need one base and two holders that comes to around 90-100US not including shipping.

I found a Chinese knock off of the same mount with a universal holder for $25 from Amazon. Will try that first.
Here is the CD holder I have.

41SRMMa6sWL._AC_.jpg

ProClip is a bad choice if you can't find a cradle that works with both phones, as they're screwed to the mount and not easily swappable.

The cost was worth it to me at the time, as every other mount I tried had issues, whether it was using cheesy vent clips, relied on adhesive that failed on a hot sunny day, or simply drooped down every time I hit a bump. I was also driving a lot of logging roads then, so the mounts were being torture tested and ProClip was the only one that stood up.

(I personally don't like supporting Chinese R&D ripoff thieves, so don't mind paying a extra for a well designed and produced product, particularly if it'll last. Not casting judgement, everyone has their own weights on value, it's just a thing for me...)

Here is the CD holder I have.

41SRMMa6sWL._AC_.jpg
I was going to ask about risk of damage to the CD player, but then realised almost nobody would care...

I was going to ask about risk of damage to the CD player, but then realised almost nobody would care...
Agree. In my last car, there was no issue as the fingers were pushing on metal plates inside. I suspect it would be a bad idea to use that clip with a disc in the player. I never had a disc in the player. New car moved cd player to glove box. It has never had a disc in it either.

My wife had a stupid vent clip that was always wobbly or falling. The CD mount solution is infinitely more rigid and stable.

I like old school stuff.
I have zero digital music, and don't like my free Spotify account.
I still listen to FM radio.
And I agree with jc100 about no need for all the new gadgets in vehicles.
I had a 2019 Durango rental for a week. I had to put my glasses on every time I had to touch the screen to see what I was doing.
In my 2005 Pilot, I push buttons and turn knobs.
kiss method for me

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@Joe Bass nope, I do as well...my 2013 Elantra GT has one and I use it all the time...I even listen to them at home LOL...just bought one a couple of months ago... :D
My sister from another mister!

I just picked up a 2015 CRV between the Navi and radio let me tella what a piece of wonderful work honda done on this.

Was bought for an extra car but if i had to drive it everyday i would be replacing that system

I like old school stuff.
I have zero digital music, and don't like my free Spotify account.
I still listen to FM radio.
And I agree with jc100 about no need for all the new gadgets in vehicles.
I had a 2019 Durango rental for a week. I had to put my glasses on every time I had to touch the screen to see what I was doing.
In my 2005 Pilot, I push buttons and turn knobs.
kiss method for me

I have no problem with CD's, I just personally don't use them in the car. Last car had an ipod in the armrest with all the music I wanted. Current car I just use amazon music as I have more data than I can use. I use CD's occasionally at home (old school medium fi system uses CD's as I haven't bothered to hook up a bluetooth receiver to it). Surround sound system has no cd player (other than playstation). Stereo near the bike has no CD player. Garage radio has no CD player.

@Joe Bass heck, I even have my old cassettes from when I was a teenager in the mid 80s...AND my two walkmans (AIWA and Sony)...years ago I bought this gizmo at The Source that allows you to convert your music on cassette to WAV files...only problem is you have to do it one song at a time, which takes too much time and patience...man I miss the 80s LMAO

P.S...aren't you also the fellow Prince lover?

Back
Top Bottom