Can we mobilize teachers? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can we mobilize teachers?

Apple TV is useless without a decent broadband internet connection. The "iPads" that are being handed out are 3G units purportedly for people without broadband, so I'd doubt they'd have Apple TV. There's a casting workaround with dongles. They're not prohibitively expensive.

Online delivery of those things also takes weeks sometimes now too. That was my point though, there are ways you can use iPads a little more comfortably but it depends on having access to other tech.

You can use digital pens with iPads but they aren’t very accurate.

Online delivery of those things also takes weeks sometimes now too. That was my point though, there are ways you can use iPads a little more comfortably but it depends on having access to other tech.

You can use digital pens with iPads but they aren’t very accurate.
The ipad pro pen is good but the damn pen costs as much as an android tablet. Never used a pen on a normal ipad.

For now, I am going to try to keep him on the tablet. If I cast to the big screen, he will be more likely to wander away. Small screen requires him to stay roughly in place where camera can see him.

The ipad pro pen is good but the damn pen costs as much as an android tablet. Never used a pen on a normal ipad.

For now, I am going to try to keep him on the tablet. If I cast to the big screen, he will be more likely to wander away. Small screen requires him to stay roughly in place where camera can see him.

the new iPad works with a (pretty expensive) specific pen, old iPads work with passive tipped pens/stylus but they aren’t as accurate/precise to use.

If you are using the latest iOS with ipad you can hook up a keyboard and mouse via bluetooth

If you are using the latest iOS with ipad you can hook up a keyboard and mouse via bluetooth
People with no high speed internet are also unlikely to have bluetooth input devices. The cheapest solution is likely old school and write out the assignment on paper, take pictures of the sheets and send them in.

People with no high speed internet are also unlikely to have bluetooth input devices. The cheapest solution is likely old school and write out the assignment on paper, take pictures of the sheets and send them in.
Yes I agree with that, and if people who are given ipads, probably do not have extra keyboards around or the techincial know how to hook them up. But I thought it was for your kid etc, just letting you know of an option.

The issue, if the people can't afford Internet and can't afford a device in the first place they can't afford fancy keyboards, pens or Apple TV to use with the free iPad (to make them usable).

The free (likely 3G) iPads will likely work for the most junior grades, not much higher. I know some schools (maybe most?) have multiple entire classrooms of Chromebooks that are just sitting there in the schools right now collecting dust...doing nothing... Internet access should have been the only question, they already had better more appropriate devices...

The issue, if the people can't afford Internet and can't afford a device in the first place they can't afford fancy keyboards, pens or Apple TV to use with the free iPad (to make them usable).

The free (likely 3G) iPads will likely work for the most junior grades, not much higher. I know some schools (maybe most?) have multiple entire classrooms of Chromebooks that are just sitting there in the schools right now collecting dust...doing nothing... Internet access should have been the only question, they already had better more appropriate devices...
Our kids school (K-8) was planning on distributing all portable devices they had to students. Not sure if that is in addition to the provincial ipads, a stop-gap until they arrive or if that has been canned after douggie wrote a cheque. I agree, it makes no sense to have many many devices sitting unused in schools while other devices are purchased.

TqSKNq3.jpg

the new iPad works with a (pretty expensive) specific pen, old iPads work with passive tipped pens/stylus but they aren’t as accurate/precise to use.
I found this pen to be fantastic to use on my iPad. I hate using stylus, but this makes it more bearable....and you can actually write with it, unlike those ones with the bulky tip... Find a ADONIT ADM4DG Mini 4 - Dark Grey at Staples.ca. Read reviews to learn about the top-rated ADONIT ADM4DG Mini 4 - Dark Grey.

So i just found out, North Halton, Campbellville and Brookville with all those multi million dollar masions does not have high speed internet. The companies say the infrastructure is not yet warrented , too little population. Just on the edge of the gta

Normal development of an online course takes about 2y and that’s for small classes. I’m glad you’ve worked out how to do it in 2 weeks for classes larger than those normally taught, for a socioeconomically diverse group of students, many not having the required technology available.

Here, have a Nobel Prize.
Except that they aren't "developing" anything. Both of my kids teachers are online for 1 hour a day (grade 7 and 8). There is 30 to 45 minutes of "discussion" time, then the teacher assigns a couple of lessons from an independent online resource that was pre existing to covid19.
Can you tell me again how taxing this is for those poor teachers?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

So i just found out, North Halton, Campbellville and Brookville with all those multi million dollar masions does not have high speed internet. The companies say the infrastructure is not yet warrented , too little population. Just on the edge of the gta
I was surprised at the coverage of high speed outside of urban areas. Some places I thought there would be no way and it had it (we bought one of those) others places I expected to have it and didnt. I was also surprised at the lack of useful maps that let you see what was available where. Most providers want you to call with a postal code to discuss. That is annoying when you are looking at half a dozen possible locations.

I found a bigger internet hiccup than students having a slow connection. Teachers having crap upload speed. Video of the teacher was clearly shot using a potato. So far 22 out of 24 students have managed to connect to the video link. Not sure if the other two haven't tried or if there is a technical obstacle.
I don't use video most of the time. It's defocussing.

I don't use video most of the time. It's defocussing.
This is Kindergarten and teachers that are still working on translating what they know into what they can deliver. For instance, physical books shot on a camera as opposed to a digital book and screen sharing which could be much clearer and use less bandwidth. I'm not crapping on them yet, they are learning as they go and it's easier for some people to think of alternate solutions while others focus on replicating traditional teaching online. Just different ways minds work.

I think having video is important for the kids as I can teach them the knowledge, it's the social connections that are so important in school that I can't replicate right now. The teachers are still at 30 to 60 minutes a week of video call. I think that should increase dramatically. They have seven teachers working together to make the weekly slide deck (less than 20 slides per week, most slides are a few bullets on ideas for an activity, still not sure why this needs to be done by every school, one master for the province should be 95% sufficient). By my math, with the current deliverables, there should be about 260 hours of teacher time left over each week to interact with ~85 students.

I was surprised at the coverage of high speed outside of urban areas. Some places I thought there would be no way and it had it (we bought one of those) others places I expected to have it and didnt. I was also surprised at the lack of useful maps that let you see what was available where. Most providers want you to call with a postal code to discuss. That is annoying when you are looking at half a dozen possible locations.
I hear you. I live less than 11 miles from the 401 as the crow flies, north of Kingston. You'd think living that close to the "lifeline of the country" we'd have decent internet, and cell service. Nope. Satellite internet that craps out in bad weather and is slow at the best of times, and until they put a new tower at the far end of the lake, we had to drive to the top of a nearby hill to get cell coverage. Even now, once the leaves come on, we'll be spotty. I think the push should be for reliable coverage for everyone with a reasonable speed, before we spend any money on getting 5G for people that already have exceptional speed anyway. If you really think you need 5G, banks and online traders etc., then you pay to get the infrastructure installed and let Rogers, Bell etc. spend their money getting everyone else into the 21st century.

Loughborough Lake area, sweet! Did you try Kingston online?

@Lyndsay, I couldn't agree more. 5G (especially anything chinese influenced) is not needed for 90% of us. But I think access for decent internet and or cell has become a basic right. Especially with kids, you can kick 'em out to play outdoors and all that , but they will still need to be tech literate in our evolving world.
I got better cell service on an atoll in the south Pacific, 300nm from Tahiti (thank you French territorial service) than I can get on the corner of Lakeshore and Burloak here in Oakville (dead spot in towers, the million dollar nieghbors dont like them ugly towers?)

@Lyndsay, I couldn't agree more. 5G (especially anything chinese influenced) is not needed for 90% of us. But I think access for decent internet and or cell has become a basic right. Especially with kids, you can kick 'em out to play outdoors and all that , but they will still need to be tech literate in our evolving world.
I got better cell service on an atoll in the south Pacific, 300nm from Tahiti (thank you French territorial service) than I can get on the corner of Lakeshore and Burloak here in Oakville (dead spot in towers, the million dollar nieghbors dont like them ugly towers?)
I got circulated that a new Rogers tower was going up within xxx meters of my house. I think the intent was to give me a chance to complain. I'm all for it. Cell phones at home without wi-fi calling turned on are horrible. Bad quality calls and they drop all the time.

My experience mirrors yours. Better signal in the middle of a Kenyan wildlife preserve than much of southern ontario (and lets not even mention the giant black holes along the T-can).

Back
Top Bottom