Can we mobilize teachers? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can we mobilize teachers?

How about parents teaching their own kids for the next 2 weeks,
teachers know what the curriculum is going to be tomorrow don't they? Communicate that between the teacher and parent.
Worst possible thing that could happen is the parent will learn something.
I have found Khan academy to be an extremely good source for learning. There are core topics in my university math classes that were explained better on there vs the profs I had.

I used to have to make a special trip down to the central library in Toronto before internet
:| it was up hill both ways in a snowstorm wearing my fathers pyjamas too :ROFLMAO: no thats a lie, I used to ride my motorcycle there.

If the job was too difficult and underpaid the supply of potential teachers would dwindle, forcing the market to increase compensation.
The teachers union inflated compensation to the point where thousands of teachers are willing to wait several years for a job.
If the free market decided their compensation it would go down but try explaining a simple concept like this to a teacher an they will deflect.
If any PSU salary and job protection was set to private sector comparable, there are a lots of arguments saying the quality of service would improve as the cost goes down.

We may find out soon as the public teat may be going from DD to A once we emerge from the current situation.

If the job was too difficult and underpaid the supply of potential teachers would dwindle, forcing the market to increase compensation.
The teachers union inflated compensation to the point where thousands of teachers are willing to wait several years for a job.
If the free market decided their compensation it would go down but try explaining a simple concept like this to a teacher an they will deflect.

you aware of recent doctor disputes?

I have found Khan academy to be an extremely good source for learning. There are core topics in my university math classes that were explained better on there vs the profs I had.

khan is good for teaching to the test. Not as good for a deep understanding of first principles.

you aware of recent doctor disputes?
Its my understanding that in Canada (and even the US) there is currently a shortage of doctors and that there will be a shortage of doctors going forward. Do not compare doctors to teachers. I have a Math degree, give me a couple of months in the class and a month to prep lessons and I could teach. There is no way I or anyone could become a doctor with a few months training.

khan is good for teaching to the test. Not as good for a deep understanding of first principles.
With Khan academy I found I could watch the videos and write down everything as he was. I would repeat this as many times as necessary until I completely understood it. I was suprised at just how much better he explained important topics in statistics than some of my profs did, maybe it was due to the fact I had quite a few profs whose native language wasnt English.

Khan is good but I find his delivery to be too slow for me. I got it, move on already.... Great resource I just find I end up skipping a head too often.

I heard this morning from Halton District School Board.
This afternoon, I also heard from the high school followed by 2 of the 4 teachers.
They are gearing up for on-line delivery beginning in a couple of weeks.
In the meantime, they referenced specific resources and recommended to get started on what was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... There is no way I or anyone could become a doctor with a few months training.
Actually that has happened a lot during war time,
Medics work in way worse conditions and get paid less then any military Doctor, training is largely on the job and there is no opportunity to specialize.

There are a lot of fully trained and educated immigrant and refugee medical doctors driving cabs etc. because the regulatory bodies here refuse to recognize their training....

Actually that has happened a lot during war time,
Medics work in way worse conditions and get paid less then any military Doctor, training is largely on the job and there is no opportunity to specialize.
Medics are some of the most hardcore people you will ever meet (trumped only by Jump Medics, imo). They carry the most gear and see the most insane stuff.

That being said, back when i served there was theoretically 1 medic per 100ish troops. So you better have a lot of faith in your buddies to triage and drag your ass out of harms way.

There are a lot of fully trained and educated immigrant and refugee medical doctors driving cabs etc. because the regulatory bodies here refuse to recognize their training....

...for no really good reason. I know a few brits that had to wait forever to jump through all the hoops to become certified to practice here. Medical training in the uk is arguably better than that in Canada.

I know quite a few people in many different original professions that have come here. They went through the process and the Canadian Government said we need you, we have shortages, based on points they get in. Then they find out that the government is not the body that decides if you can practice your profession.... some professions are better/worse than others in this regard. Medical is one of the worst.

The only profession the Government says no too are Lawyers, as law if different country to country, specially in ones that do not practice common law...

Teachers in my area have been told to put up 1 hour of classwork per day for their students. The work also has to be set up so that it can be evaluated which means reporting of some kind. Again, success will depend on the buy in of the parents. It is fine to say they should be doing it. It is another to say it will be actually effective. Lots of kids have no access to computers (and what about kids in jk?) and have no one to spend time with them to make sure the learning is absorbed (let alone even watched). Some parents won't even return a phone call.

Teachers in my area have been told to put up 1 hour of classwork per day for their students. The work also has to be set up so that it can be evaluated which means reporting of some kind. Again, success will depend on the buy in of the parents. It is fine to say they should be doing it. It is another to say it will be actually effective. Lots of kids have no access to computers (and what about kids in jk?) and have no one to spend time with them to make sure the learning is absorbed (let alone even watched). Some parents won't even return a phone call.

Someone should be looking at a way to give all kids tablets after this. Preload them with educational software.

Someone should be looking at a way to give all kids tablets after this. Preload them with educational software.
Great time for big companies (either tablet makers or just high dollar companies) to step up and provide. Hopefully they get a case manufacturer to join in too so they survive kids.

Got an email and robocall from the principal today. They are working on continuity of learning plan starting Apr 6. Teacher to contact families in the next few days to determine the best contact methods. More to follow as they figure it out.

Like I was saying earlier, they are trying to work out solutions....

But there are still lots of legit issues they need to figure out. Like giving someone a tablet for online learning that does not have Internet access at home.... lol

But I know that is all some kind of union propaganda (even though I have nothing to do with any unions)...for the haters anyways.

Back
Top Bottom