Boars in Pickering | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boars in Pickering

Apparently they are in Halton as well...WTH is going on?

Save everything. Nobody wants to make a tough decision. Nobody gets in trouble for releasing pets or failing to maintain agricultural fencing. And on and on.

They breed like mofos year round. Have little natural predators, and can span large territories. They’ll be all over the province soon.

EDIT: Map I found from 2019.... Pigs and boars running wild in Ontario | Barrie 360

1637798834388.png

Last edited:
I have foxes, coyotes, deer, beaver and turkeys in the yard now. These boars are the first thing I would consider shooting of I see them on my property. If they are in Milton they can't be far away

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I saw a documentary years ago where the ranchers in South America somewhere would catch a couple of the males and castrate them in the field, then let them go. They'd then shoot them a few months later after they'd fattened up. I'm not sure how good the meat is on a feral one is, but it is tasty in farm raised "wild" boar. I might just have to try it if one wanders by when I'm in a stand. Worst case is the meat's tough, or unpalatable and I give it to my buddy to make dog food from.

I saw a documentary years ago where the ranchers in South America somewhere would catch a couple of the males and castrate them in the field, then let them go. They'd then shoot them a few months later after they'd fattened up. I'm not sure how good the meat is on a feral one is, but it is tasty in farm raised "wild" boar. I might just have to try it if one wanders by when I'm in a stand. Worst case is the meat's tough, or unpalatable and I give it to my buddy to make dog food from.
A few of my friends hunt them in the southern states. Up to about 150lbs are as good as a same-sized pig. When butchered, it's pork chops, tenderloin, bacon, and a lot of sausage meat -- they don't get much in the way of shoulder and ham cuts.

They prefer spit roasting the whole boar over butchering the raw carcass.

I think Anthony Bourdain did a segment in the usa with wild boar.

"Update" Wild pigs still on the lam in Pickering

I'd have loved some more info on "The ministry is urging the public not to hunt the boar, since it “actually makes the problem worse.”"
In established populations that splits up the group and makes it harder to get them all. In Ontario, with all the foot dragging and attempts to keep the slaughter out of the public eye, by the time govt takes care of the 14, there will probably be 60 or more. This should have been dealt with in days not months.

I had lunch at a restaurant on Walker's line Saturday - I can confirm there are wild boors in Burington, there was a sounder of 6 at the table next to mine.

KW news.
Hmmm....interesting. So wouldn't it be more productive to increase protections to prevent the hogs from escaping, instead of just outright banning it province wide?

I say make sure you tag all of the ones currently in captivity, and then should one be found in the wild...easy to fine the offending party.

Or just let farmers and hunters to kill them without a tag. That'll cull the problem pretty fast.

Hmmm....interesting. So wouldn't it be more productive to increase protections to prevent the hogs from escaping, instead of just outright banning it province wide?

I say make sure you tag all of the ones currently in captivity, and then should one be found in the wild...easy to fine the offending party.

Or just let farmers and hunters to kill them without a tag. That'll cull the problem pretty fast.
That makes sense. Has to be a better way.

As a starting point, what I have seen aligns with what was previously posted and domestic pigs quickly revert to hogs when in the wild. Wiping out the handful of hog farms while leaving the dump truck loads of pig farms untouched is stupid.

Back
Top Bottom