Boars in Pickering | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boars in Pickering

As a starting point, what I have seen aligns with what was previously posted and domestic pigs quickly revert to hogs when in the wild. Wiping out the handful of hog farms while leaving the dump truck loads of pig farms untouched is stupid.
Our place down south borders the Everglades, boars everywhere. Our community has a wildlife fence that holds back jaguars, alligators and hogs. In 2019 a hurricane destroyed the fence and about 100 hogs came thru, they rototilled the lawns and gardens of 500 homes in 3 nights.

There is also a big difference between feral pigs and wild boars. Escaped pigs adapt quickly, but not all can survive, and the certainly don't expand range as quickly, are less evasive and can't survive as far north as wild boars.

There aren't enough hunters in Texas or Florida to control populations, would be harder here.

Our place down south borders the Everglades, boars everywhere. Our community has a wildlife fence that holds back jaguars, alligators and hogs. In 2019 a hurricane destroyed the fence and about 100 hogs came thru, they rototilled the lawns and gardens of 500 homes in 3 nights.

There is also a big difference between feral pigs and wild boars. Escaped pigs adapt quickly, but not all can survive, and the certainly don't expand range as quickly, are less evasive and can't survive as far north as wild boars.

There aren't enough hunters in Texas or Florida to control populations, would be harder here.
I wonder how much lead is in the soil of some of the southern farms after the machine gun toting hunters get through with their helicopter adventures.

If the wild boars aren't native to Canada only bring in sterile piglets and raise them like chicks from a hatchery. If a few escape they don't multiply.

Same goes for exotic pets, fish and reptiles.

The interwebs have opinions:
Wow. To be fair, if you have 30 to 50 hogs in your yard and three to five minutes, a bolt/pump/lever action would have no problem getting the job done. Hell, even if you only had a minute and loaded spare magazines, you could get it done if you had lots of practice and a quick acquisition time.

I'm leaving the kids out of my discussion because I'm not really sure what they have to do with the scenario at hand. Is he shooting hogs with his kids in the field of fire?

I wonder how much lead is in the soil of some of the southern farms after the machine gun toting hunters get through with their helicopter adventures.

If the wild boars aren't native to Canada only bring in sterile piglets and raise them like chicks from a hatchery. If a few escape they don't multiply.

Same goes for exotic pets, fish and reptiles.
My feeling is you don't permit invasive species to be farmed at all. The few niche farmers that make a living off wild boars will need to change to another form of livestock.

No farming snakeheads, no farming wild boars.

Wow. To be fair, if you have 30 to 50 hogs in your yard and three to five minutes, a bolt/pump/lever action would have no problem getting the job done. Hell, even if you only had a minute and loaded spare magazines, you could get it done if you had lots of practice and a quick acquisition time.

I'm leaving the kids out of my discussion because I'm not really sure what they have to do with the scenario at hand. Is he shooting hogs with his kids in the field of fire?
I think the point is 50 hogs could be storm the yard in a couple of minutes, not that you have 3-5 minutes t dispatch them. Once a shot goes off they scatter, a bolt action would pop off one every second or two, but you'd need to setup kill shots on each animal -- you might get 1 or 2, then the 48 are back at nightfall. An assault rifle sprays bullets, you don't need killshots. You'd dispatch more using that type of weapon.

That said, It would be very unusual for 50 wild boars to mosey into a yard with kids playing... they're skittish and mostly nocturnal - so the argument supporting assault rifles is weak.

I think the point is 50 hogs could be storm the yard in a couple of minutes, not that you have 3-5 minutes t dispatch them. Once a shot goes off they scatter, a bolt action would pop off one every second or two, but you'd need to setup kill shots on each animal -- you might get 1 or 2, then the 48 are back at nightfall. An assault rifle sprays bullets, you don't need killshots. You'd dispatch more using that type of weapon.

That said, It would be very unusual for 50 wild boars to mosey into a yard with kids playing... they're skittish and mostly nocturnal - so the argument supporting assault rifles is weak.
If that's the argument a grenade sounds more effective.

My feeling is you don't permit invasive species to be farmed at all. The few niche farmers that make a living off wild boars will need to change to another form of livestock.

No farming snakeheads, no farming wild boars.
Pretty much every animal we farm in Canada is invasive, just some are more adaptable and do more harm when they escape.

Well someone needs to think of the children...otherwise his argument is idiotic.

I liked the quote "if you need an assault rifle to hunt deer you suck at it"

I liked the quote "if you need an assault rifle to hunt deer you suck at it"
My grandpa had a lever action and you would know if he saw a deer and there were never any bullets left in the gun. Blast and pray. Good farmer, mediocre hunter.

If that's the argument a grenade sounds more effective.
I've seen a Tannerite explosion video involving wild hogs. I'm not sure how hard the piggy parts flew. There was one airborne IIRC answering the "When pigs fly" question.

now we have black bears just north of Acton...oh my...

A buddy lives next door to the ganny. Some spotted a few miles from his place.

I guess it's no longer worth the drive.
We get them in Markham Village every few years, they travel the wildlife corridors that connect local streams to the Rouge National Park. Had one in my yard a few years ago, I'm guessing a 125 lb black. YRP dispatched a SWAT team to keep the community safe. They chased the little bear thru the subdivision for about 2km to a small wooded area on a park where the MNR tranquilized then relocated it.

The weird part wasn't seeing a bear, it was watching SWAT cops go over fences, dropping, rolling, then rifle sighting a scared little bear like it was some sort of armed terrorist. 30 cop cars swarming the subdivision, and an armored car rolling down the street blasting warnings that residents should stay inside.

At my place up north, the bears come every Thursday from June to November to loot garbage cans (trash day). Locals come out with broomsticks yelling 'get off my lawn'.

Back
Top Bottom