BMW K75. Worth it? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW K75. Worth it?

It's been a long time, but I think the left side panel is your way in.

EDIT:
This pic is K100, but I think K75 is similar. Get positive here and grab the frame for negative.

04_motronic.jpg

I think the battery is under the computer ?? its Been a while
There’s a lock button on the left hand side - about halfway down the length of the seat just along the bottom edge. Use the key to unlock the button - can’t remember whether it unlocks clockwise or ccw - give the button a good push and the seat should lift and pivot on a hinge toward the right side of the bike. UNLESS it’s a low seat model - then I’m not quite sure.

The last BMW i had, to remove the battery you needed to unbolt the battery tray and tilt it to the rear. Then the battery would slide (barely) out between the frame tubes. At first glance it looked like the frame was built around it.

Rather than start a new thread...

My bro has an 87 k75 that has a dead battery. How the hell do you remove the seat to access the battery so I can give it a boost?
You can boost it just by removing the side pane on the right hand side if you are running a lawn tractor battery. (Terminals are on opposite side with OEM BMW battery, hot is on the left side.)
Battery goes straight up through the frame turned on end after you remove all the stuff above it which is actually super easy to do but hard to describe.

For your ground jumper cable just use the motor or peg bracket.

Last edited:
There is a plastic pin on the right side that needs to be removed to slide the ECU module out the left side of the bike.
IMG_3100.jpg
battery removal takes maybe all of ten minutes, once you've done it once.

If your ground wire from the battery to the motor is corroded it will show resistance on a meter test, worth doing it.
if in doubt put a jumper cable between the battery ground and the motor and if that makes it crank faster ;) you have a crap ground wire.

See post #81 by Greyghost to get access to the terminals for charging - +ve will get exposed when the left battery cover is removed. -ve will be on the gear box by the left foot peg. You can attach the charging cables to those points.

To remove the battery, refer to the BMW procedure in the attachment. If you have a full size Yuasa battery, it's very large. It's not necessary to remove the ECU from the tool tray to remove the battery. To remove it, tilt the battery towards the rear until it hits the fender. It will be a really tight squeeze to get the battery to pass between the frame members but the battery will come out at an angle. Sometimes it helps to loosen the fender to get a bit more room.

Attachments

• battery 2.jpg
    battery 2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 7
Holy the BMW pictures are not near as good as mine ? where did you get those a Clymer manual?

I have a beautiful 1985 K100RS. I need a replacement final drive unit for it.
Does the guy with all those bikes have one? I would consider selling mine as well.
Apart from the FD, its in fine running condition. I was going 100 MPH on it the last day I had it out. I drained all of the no-ethanol fuel out of it when I parked it. Its rock steady at 140-160 Kph and can run like that all day. Ks are great bikes. It sounds nice too. :^)
Here's mine, photographed today:

Attachments

• 85K100RSa.jpg
    85K100RSa.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 14
Does the guy with all those bikes have one? I would consider selling mine as well.
Apart from the FD, its in fine running condition. I was going 100 MPH on it the last day I had it out. I drained all of the no-ethanol fuel out of it when I parked it. Its rock steady at 140-160 Kph and can run like that all day. Ks are great bikes. It sounds nice too. :^)
nice looking bike!
here is where you can try for the fd

I would guess $1500-2000 in need of a final drive, $3000-3500 if it's all together and working. You will see higher listed prices, but I think these numbers would be a fair expectation.

I have a bunch of old bikes, when I look at them they always seem to be worth a lot more to me that what anyone wants to pay for them. I think that's the same for many people who hang on to their bikes for a long time, you start to love them like the family dog so you keep them in the garage for a few more years.

Sadly They just get older, parts get harder to find, and unless they are collectible they just lose value.

The final drives BMW used back then were very simple and sturdy units. Take it apart and see if you can fix it yourself. YouTube is your friend for tutorials.

Back
Top Bottom