BMW K75. Worth it? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW K75. Worth it?

Toaster tank,
has slots to put your toast in ;)

IMG_0026.jpg

Frozen, you can say what you want about trump (and it is mostly ALL BAD) but the stocks did well. I'm scoping new toys. ( A small hint of silver lining??)

Frozen, you can say what you want about trump (and it is mostly ALL BAD) but the stocks did well. I'm scoping new toys. ( A small hint of silver lining??)
I so wish I had of got in on the game stop band wagon. I looked it when it went from $4 to 8 and thought No Way this is gonna fly. SMH. :-(

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

These bikes where owned by enthusiast and there is a truck load of parts and accessories.

This improves the odds considerably that the bikes were properly stored.

Look and sniff inside the fuel tank. If it's empty and not rusty, there's a good chance that the fuel injected bikes will start right up with a couple litres of fresh fuel in the tank and when connected to a good battery. A full tank may need to be emptied out first before doing this, if it doesn't smell like gasoline any more.

This improves the odds considerably that the bikes were properly stored.

Look and sniff inside the fuel tank. If it's empty and not rusty, there's a good chance that the fuel injected bikes will start right up with a couple litres of fresh fuel in the tank and when connected to a good battery. A full tank may need to be emptied out first before doing this, if it doesn't smell like gasoline any more.
At least some were aluminum tanks. I'm not sure if that was all of them.

I talked to the owner today. I have a snowmobile he is interested in trading. I believe the snowmobile is worth between 1500-2000. Which bike would be the most desirable? Excluding the old "toaster tank" he wants to keep that one now. 20210208_131703.jpeg

The blue K75RS. It's late model and possibly less likely to have spline wear than the early K75. Also, it has better forks, newer electronics, more likely an original instrument cluster, and just an all round better model K-bike.

The engines on both of those bikes are barely broken in with those kilometres. These engines have Nikasil coated cylinders; they are rugged. These motorcycles can easily go 800,000 - 1 million kilometres or more. Total kilometres not a good reason to choose one over the other. Besides, the instrument clusters on the early K's (85 - 87) were notoriously bad and often needed to be replaced. It's likely the cluster on the early model is not original. What's more telling is how were the bikes maintained over their life.

What's the year on the early model? 1985? 1986? if so, these models have different parts than all other years of K-bike. The tank is different, the fuel level sender is different, fuel delivery is different, seat is different, the forks are different, the springs are different. These differences can be challenging, especially as these bikes age. The parts on the later K's are compatible through the range from 1987 K75/K100 through K1100 up to about 1996. Take a look at my K75. The engine and frame are 1987 K75 but transmission and drivetrain and front end are 1993 K1100. I've got K1100 throttle bodies. Easy to adapt. I even know of a guy that adapted an early K1200 transmission and drivetrain to a K75, complete with hydraulic clutch (he's a mechanical genius but it speaks to the consistency in the BMW line). That interchangeability means you have sources for spares from a greater range of models.

Last edited:
Personally, I’d have to see them in person and see which one speaks to me and then I’d open my heart and wallet and fall in love. The Blue K from photos caught my eye but, I’m also a sucker for boxer engines too, so the 650 might do it too.

In reality, some folks don’t understand what makes these bikes fun. They are companions on two wheels. They are part of the journey. And getting your hands dirty to get them from the garage to the road is part of the experience.

Personally, a trade for an old snow machine for any of what i see, and I’d be all in.

Just do it. Find the one that works for you and commit.

And then share the experience with us!

I’ll post up my experience with an old Honda CB500four soon enough. Just the sound is enough to keep me engaged while I sip on a beer in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The engines on both of those bikes are barely broken in with those kilometres. These engines have Nikasil coated cylinders; they are rugged. These motorcycles can easily go 800,000 - 1 million kilometres or more. Total kilometres not a good reason to choose one over the other. Besides, the instrument clusters on the early K's (85 - 87) were notoriously bad and often needed to be replaced. It's likely the cluster on the early model is not original. What's more telling is how were the bikes maintained over their life.

What's the year on the early model? 1985? 1986? if so, these models have different parts than all other years of K-bike. The tank is different, the fuel level sender is different, fuel delivery is different, seat is different, the forks are different, the springs are different. These differences can be challenging, especially as these bikes age. The parts on the later K's are compatible through the range from 1987 K75/K100 through K1100 up to about 1996. I know of a guy that adapted an early K1200 transmission and drivetrain to a K75, complete with hydraulic clutch (he's a mechanical genius but it speaks to the consistency in the BMW line). That interchangeability means you have sources for spares from a greater range of models.
I was told, the black k75 with full fairing is 87.

The black one has snowflake rims and the blue has three spoke. There are more tire options with 3-spoke than snowflake, especially radials. That might be a factor to consider. Another thing to consider is that the forks on the blue one are Showa if the bike is a 91 or later and the black one might be Fichtel & Sachs or Brembo (it depends on the pedigree of the original bike). The Showa forks have progressive springs with compression adjustment in one fork leg and rebound adjustment in the other leg.

Last edited:
He does ride and has ridden them all. His favorite is the black 87

Well, that's something to consider as well. Both are very close; I'm just showing my personal bias for later model K-bikes. Find out why it's his favourite. It looks like the black one has a higher windshield meaning less buffeting. the RS fairing does give more helmet buffeting and wind noise. Be aware that I'm guessing based on the pictures you posted, not personal experience.

The black one has snowflake rims and the blue has three spoke. There are more tire options with 3-spoke than snowflake, especially radials. That might be a factor to consider. Another thing to consider is that the forks on the blue one are Showa if the bike is a 91 or later and the black one might be Fichtel & Sachs or Brembo (it depends on the pedigree of the original bike). The Showa forks have progressive springs with compression adjustment in one fork leg and rebound adjustment in the other leg.
Which are more desirable?

Back
Top Bottom