BMW K75. Worth it? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW K75. Worth it?

OP - You mentioned "running when parked".

Are you not familiar with the "codes"
"was running last month" - ran within the last year maybe
"had it running a few years ago" - at least five years since it ran
"was running when parked" - it did run when it was parked but who knows what has been done to it in the 2 decades since then.

also I believe they are called a brick or often "flying brick" because the distinctive head with holes actually looks like a brick

Which are more desirable?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Showa is more desirable than the earlier Brembo or F&S. The compression / rebound dampening and progressive springs the big differences. Really, you probably couldn't tell the difference between any of the forks based on ride quality and handling. It's after all an eighties bike with eighties technology.

And yeah, they are called Bricks from the shape of the engine, not the reliability of the bike. I just threw that out there.

...It looks like the black one has a higher windshield meaning less buffeting. the RS fairing does give more helmet buffeting and wind noise. Be aware that I'm guessing based on the pictures you posted, not personal experience.
RS aerodynamics were designed for optimum solo riding performance, RT aerodynamics are optimized for 2-up riding. RS has flat bars to position the solo rider behind the short windshield, you can make and add, or buy and add a piece of plexiglass that makes it a couple inches taller.
The sweet spot for K100RS aerodynamics is from ~140-170kph
K100RS has the best rear view mirrors on any bike you will ride at those speeds, they are part of the fairing and shield your hands from wind and rain like bark busters.

OP - You mentioned "running when parked".

Are you not familiar with the "codes"
"was running last month" - ran within the last year maybe
"had it running a few years ago" - at least five years since it ran
"was running when parked" - it did run when it was parked but who knows what has been done to it in the 2 decades since then.

also I believe they are called a brick or often "flying brick" because the distinctive head with holes actually looks like a brick
The understanding I have is the bikes were all running and road worthy 7-8 years ago. They belonged to his father, who was allegedly a "serious enthusiast" not just a collector of bikes. There is apparently a shed full of spare parts and accessories as well. I will have a better idea of the condition of the bikes and validity of the stories by Tuesday. Will take more picks and share when I do.

The long time out of service for the K-bikes is not a concern if the bikes were properly prepared for storage. As mentioned, look in the tank for old gas as it most likely will cause deterioration of the fuel pump anti-vibration damper (turn it into sticky goo) and could attract moisture that will rot the tank in the lowest points at the rear of the tank. That's usually where leaks occur. You'll see the paint bubbled on the seams.

Think long and hard and then if you decide to pull the trigger cough up all the dough you can and buy everything he has. Bikes, bits, spares and all. There will no doubt be parts you need or want that you will regret not having later on.
And parts are parts you can sell off what you don't need (Just kidding we NEVER do that it's just a story you tell your wife)

Think long and hard and then if you decide to pull the trigger cough up all the dough you can and buy everything he has. Bikes, bits, spares and all. There will no doubt be parts you need or want that you will regret not having later on.
And parts are parts you can sell off what you don't need (Just kidding we NEVER do that it's just a story you tell your wife)
I had a Ducati in my garage for a few months years ago under a cover. Came home from work one day and found the cover lifted up a bit. Nothing said.
That Friday she told me we were going shopping for furniture.... And i was going to like it!

So just got back from looking at the bikes. I've made an offer so we will see. The bikes were not stored properly. Both bikes have tanks half full of fuel, that has turned to varnish. Both bikes will need tires even though the tires look new, they are 10yrs old. 20210215_122839.jpeg20210215_122942.jpeg

Honestly - I wouldn’t go over $1000 on the blue one. By the time you’re done, you’ll have spent enough to have bought a decent running bike without all the headaches. And if not for Covid - lots of low mileage bikes for reasonable money across the border.
The R65 could be a good purchase for the right money!

Honestly - I wouldn’t go over $1000 on the blue one. By the time you’re done, you’ll have spent enough to have bought a decent running bike without all the headaches. And if not for Covid - lots of low mileage bikes for reasonable money across the border.
The R65 could be a good purchase for the right money!
Now that you know the fuel systems need a total rebuild, ya $700/$1000 tops.
And the R65 would be a great bike to own. Just don't race anyone for pinks.

+1. If the owner was not conscientious enough to prepare the bikes for long-term storage, there are probably other neglected items on the bike that will require work and money to fix. The black bike has a Pichler fairing which the Interwebs says traps the engine heat and is very hot to ride in the summer. The blue RS is a better pick.

Actually it’s just “S” - the K75 came in T, C, RT and S versions.
Sorry to be picky - I just can’t help it. ?

My offer was 1000 each for the k75 but want both or neither. And 1200 on the r65.
The k75s both have the bags and half of a 91 parts bike. The bikes were not speaking to me the way I thought they might. He wants my snowmobile but wants to trade 1 bike. I said I would trade for 1 the r65 but it had to be running.

+1. If the owner was not conscientious enough to prepare the bikes for long-term storage, there are probably other neglected items on the bike that will require work and money to fix. The black bike has a Pichler fairing which the Interwebs says traps the engine heat and is very hot to ride in the summer. The blue RS is a better pick.
There is a rubber vent hose at the rear of the K bike fuel rail, plus some rubber hose inside the fuel tank, both of which will have likely deteriorated by now. When the rubber hose inside the fuel tank leaks the bikes performance will be significantly degraded, but it's an easy fix.

A K100RS owner would not put an aftermarket fairing on the bike unless the original fairing was trashed, the original fairing is far better.

Rather than start a new thread...

My bro has an 87 k75 that has a dead battery. How the hell do you remove the seat to access the battery so I can give it a boost?

Back
Top Bottom