Biden presidency | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Biden presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both parties picked the best candidate to try and win the election for this moment. I cannot think of an alternate candidate that either party could have put forward that overall would have done as well.

While most of us like to laugh at Trump. He still holds a huge approval rating among Republicans (Trump’s Approval Rating Stabilizes Among Republicans Ahead of Senate Impeachment Trial - Morning Consult). His continued popularity among Republicans is why there were so many R politicians that were willing to go along with the election fraud nonsense. Knowing everything that we know now, if there was a presidential primary tomorrow, I think he would still be their candidate. The Republican party is too heavily split, as evidenced by Trumpism and before that the Tea Party people. Moderate R's are unlikely to win a presidential primary, even though they have a better chance of winning the presidency. I am very curious to see where the R's go from here. Do they double down on the divisiveness and Trumpism (with or without Trump), or aim for policy that would appeal to a larger portion of Americans that could actually win an election? I have a feeling it's going to be the former, doing otherwise would cause the hard righters to move to a different party altogether (Trump has floated creating a "Patriot Party") guaranteeing that R's don't win a general election anytime soon.

Biden was the perfect candidate for the moment, a moderate Democrat who is focused on trying to govern through bipartisanship and appealing to all Americans, instead of just pushing forward his agenda. Still too early to say how effective a governing strategy this will be, but it was the right strategy for the election. Bernie, who I generally like and is an important voice, is probably too far left for a good portion of the Democratic party. Warren, was my choice, but can admit she is a bit too smart for her own good making her unlikeable. I don't think any of the Democratic candidates would have any chance of winning.

The Republican strategy of painting Biden as a dementia riddled geriatric (as evidenced by the memes in this thread) backfired brilliantly. The bar was set so low that when Biden was able to put two words together in debates, he won.

Edit: Isn't it nice, yet somewhat boring, that there isn't a new presidential scandal every day? The story that I've seen mentioned the most is that Biden wore a Rolex at the inauguration. I look forward to four years of fake outrage similar to tan suit-gate, and mustard-gate.
Well he did just screw over 34 million Americans in the first 2 days of being a president. Got a little too trigger happy getting rid of Trump EOs and accidently/on purpose got rid of the one limiting what pharmaceutical companies can charge for life saving medication like insulin and epinephrine...

Well he did just screw over 34 million Americans in the first 2 days of being a president. Got a little too trigger happy getting rid of Trump EOs and accidently/on purpose got rid of the one limiting what pharmaceutical companies can charge for life saving medication like insulin and epinephrine...

I didn’t see that one. Link?

Overall he's rolled back the idiotic Trump EOs it seems, the ones that just pandered to the base.

Overall he's rolled back the idiotic Trump EOs it seems, the ones that just pandered to the base.

This is a fun one, and I was similarly confused at first read. Right wing Twitter was apoplectic on this.

The truth is a bit different though. The EO has not gone into effect yet. He has not cancelled it, but put it on hold pending review. Biden has put a general pause on Trump EO's that have not gone into effect.

This freeze is part of the Biden administration’s large-scale effort announced this week that will scrutinize the Trump administration’s health policies. If the previous administration’s policies raise “fact, law, or policy” concerns, the Biden HHS will delay them and consult with the Office of Management and Budget about other actions.

Former HHS leaders argued the drug rule would benefit patients who struggle to pay for expensive insulin and allergy medication. However, the health centers said they already pass on those savings and this rule is merely an administrative burden that paints them as entities that price-gouge patients. It’s not clear how many facilities would have to follow the rule or face funding restrictions.

He has not cancelled it, but put it on hold pending review

Certain media outlets on a certain side of the political fence are conveniently forgetting to include that little important bit at the end.

The people who don't read beyond the headline sure are up in arms about it though. Colour me surprised.

Certain media outlets on a certain side of the political fence are conveniently forgetting to include that little important bit at the end.

The people who don't read beyond the headline sure are up in arms about it though. Colour me surprised.
if its on hold then it's not being enforced until the review is finished. Is there a timeline on this review? What if it takes his entire term to figure it out, might as well be cancelled?

Mayhaps there is some truth to the complaints.

Trumps orders were not pandering, he laid many of them out as election promises. When elected the became part of a mandate.

All presidents do that.

Trump actuall got some work done inbetween golf and Twitter storms.

Read through the Biden orders. I think most are ok, but 13992 is purely for his own pleasure. Removing transparency and the focus on streamlining regulations restores the red tape tools Obama used to kick the can down the road on Guantanamo, Syria, ISIS, Keystone, DACA, Pharma gouging... and to gridlock interests of his political opponents (like the Koch bros).

Last edited:
if its on hold then it's not being enforced until the review is finished. Is there a timeline on this review? What if it takes his entire term to figure it out, might as well be cancelled?

Mayhaps there is some truth to the complaints.

I believe the timeline is March 30th.

As with most things there isn't a clear answer on this, the truth is nuanced. The EO did not force pharma companies to drop drug prices. Instead it mandated that pharmacies pass on rebates they receive from drug companies to customers. Something that pharmacies say was already being done, unknown how true that is. However, I don't see anything that would affect the pharma companies directly though.

My opinion is this is very much a bandaid on a much larger problem.

I believe the timeline is March 30th.

As with most things there isn't a clear answer on this, the truth is nuanced. The EO did not force pharma companies to drop drug prices. Instead it mandated that pharmacies pass on rebates they receive from drug companies to customers. Something that pharmacies say was already being done, unknown how true that is. However, I don't see anything that would affect the pharma companies directly though.

My opinion is this is very much a bandaid on a much larger problem.
The simple solution to that is there will no longer be pharma rebates, there will be "marketing funds" that the pharmacies can tap. Booze companies have been doing this forever. A bar owner in Ontario used his fund to buy a bass boat and have it wrapped with the beer company logo. The second upside to the marketing fund is it is based on total dollar value not any specific SKU. Any regulation requiring distribution based on SKU has no meaning in that scheme.

Last edited:
LOL for all the whining canadians did about trump, it looks like Biden is shafting canada more then trump ever did...

You're kidding right? Pretty sure Freeland had to go for emergency meetings because Trump started screwing with metal tariffs that affected Canada especially in the auto parts industry. I'd like to see what the US does without Canadian lumber though.

You're kidding right? Pretty sure Freeland had to go for emergency meetings because Trump started screwing with metal tariffs that affected Canada especially in the auto parts industry. I'd like to see what the US does without Canadian lumber though.
Clearcut California. Solve the wildfire, lumber and development land problems all at the same time. Screw the future. (Obviously said with some sarcasm but I'm sure it has been discussed by the players).

Oh no, a govt official had to do govt stuff. You mean the junk quality metals Canada was importing from China then trying to flog it off to the yanks for a premium?

Im also pretty sure canada would be worse off if they stopped selling lumber to the states.

LOL for all the whining canadians did about trump, it looks like Biden is shafting canada more then trump ever did...
That pipeline is like an overpriced 1982 harley, valued by its owner and nobody else

Oh no, a govt official had to do govt stuff. You mean the junk quality metals Canada was importing from China then trying to flog it off to the yanks for a premium?

Im also pretty sure canada would be worse off if they stopped selling lumber to the states.

No, a government official had to do emergency stuff because the then leader of the world's most powerful nation didn't have a clue what tariffs were. Luckily the current administration seems to have put actual experts into positions of authority rather than complete flunkies.

No, a government official had to do emergency stuff because the then leader of the world's most powerful nation didn't have a clue what tariffs were. Luckily the current administration seems to have put actual experts into positions of authority rather than complete flunkies.
If only our own administration were so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom