BBQ recipes | GTAMotorcycle.com

BBQ recipes

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
We're definitely in the BBQ season, so I figured we'd share some info on making dead animal flesh taste extra good :cool:

Came across this southern style chicken rub that worked great yesterday:
http://jenniferfry.blogspot.ca/2007/03/louisiana-chicken-spice-rub.html
Spice Blend

2-1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne (I used about 1/2 .. depends on how HOT U like it)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Makes about 2/3 of a cup of spice, may not need it all at once... it can store in an airtight container.

I rubbed it into boneless chicken thighs and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, 2min per side on 450, turn down to 350 and 7-10min per side (depending on the thickness)

Boneless Chicken Wings
----------------------

- Boneless chicken thighs
- BBQ sauce of your choice - (make sure its the thick type)
- Poke holes in flesh...

--> Place chicken and bbq sauce in a bag, let it marinate for 24 hours..
--> On a hot grill lay chicken down with a good coating on sauce on top. The more sauce you have - the sticker the meat will be.
-- Grill on high for 3-5 mins - then flip and cook again for 3-5 mins.

Let meat sit for 5 mins and rest...enjoy with side of coleslaw.

We're definitely in the BBQ season, so I figured we'd share some info on making dead animal flesh taste extra good :cool:

Came across this southern style chicken rub that worked great yesterday:
http://jenniferfry.blogspot.ca/2007/03/louisiana-chicken-spice-rub.html

I rubbed it into boneless chicken thighs and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, 2min per side on 450, turn down to 350 and 7-10min per side (depending on the thickness)

You're bbq'ing with an electric oven? That ain't right :eek:

You're bbq'ing with an electric oven? That ain't right :eek:

Lol no.. Our methods diverged where she used an oven and I used my gas bbq (with some wet wood chips wrapped in aluminum foil, put on the heating plates in order to add a bit of that smoky flavour) :cool:

Lol no.. Our methods diverged where she used an oven and I used my gas bbq (with some wet wood chips wrapped in aluminum foil, put on the heating plates in order to add a bit of that smoky flavour) :cool:

Get a charcoal grill at crappy tire. They go on sale for $50 sometimes. You'll thank me ;)

I am a grill king, lol. Love the taste and the way it keeps the kitchen clean. Year round with a Weber summit on gas.

Here is a great recipe with very little prep and cooking effort. It works on most any grill, rather than a rotisserie recipe (which I have and really enjoy).

Flattened chicken - - -

Go to your local butcher or meat shop and get a flattened chicken or a raw roaster chicken. If just a roaster chicken then flatten it (there is a youtube vid on flattened chicken, 30 seconds). Keep the original bag if possible and marinate the chicken in a large amount of Franks Red hot sauce (I can use up to half of their 355 ml bottle) and let it sit for 1-2 days. When cooked it won't taste very spicy at all, but quite tasty. If you are worried about the spiciness, substitute with Franks buffalo sauce, same amount.

Cooking is a very simple and minimal intervention 2-3 step operation.

When ready to cook, heat the grill up indirectly to 350 degrees. Place the chicken, breast-side-up, on the grill. Keep the burner off directly below the chicken. Grill the chicken with the grill covered for 45 minutes, keeping the grill temperature at 350 (If anything, I prefer below that temperature, over above it, to keep the meat juicy). Check the grill temperature frequently to ensure that its temperature is staying around 350 degrees. Using tongs or a flipper, carefully turn the chicken breast-side-down. Re-ignite the burner directly below the chicken set it at its lowest level, and adjust the other burners down to maintain 350 degrees. Grill for another 15 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the chicken. You want 165 degrees. Cook it so the breast skin is a nice deep brown colour. Flip the chicken back over if the skin is brown enough on the breast but the internal temp is not yet 165 degrees. The flattened chicken is finished cooking at 165 degrees. Let it sit 10-15 min before serving.

A small roaster will serve 3 adults generally (or 2 children and 2 adults). Adjust size as necessary to needs for servings and left-overs.

Enjoy

Last edited:
If you're using gas to cook, it's not bbq. It's grilling. True bbq is cooked with real hardwood charcoal or wood.

Would never switch back to gas... charcoal is a million times better.

I have gas.

You need to be skilled to manage a charcoal grill though

Not meaty but a great side dish or pre meaty nibbles...

Take a bunch of brine marinated vine leaves (ethnic food section of grocery stores), wash them and wrap small chunks of cheddar with each one. Thread the vine leaf wrapped cheese onto soaked wooden skewers and BBQ until the leaves go crispy and nearly charred. Take off the grill and let cool a minute or so then eat the crispy, salty, cheesy goodness. The things are delicious.

Oh..and I'd totally go for a charcoal grill but propane is much easier and a bit safer with my two big dogs about. I've had my eye on one of those keg type things they have in Costco though, wouldn't mind trying my hand at smoking meat and fish!!

Grilling Over Gas Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Charcoal

"Charcoal purists will try and tell you that their preferred fuel leads to better flavor. This is, well, nonsense.
Your food doesn’t know what’s creating the heat below it, and once charcoal is hot, there aren’t any aromatic compounds left in the coals. According to the food science bible Modernist Cuisine, “Carbon is carbon; as it burns, it imparts no flavor of its own to the food being grilled.”

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/0...ectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

Last edited:
So if you bbq an old shoe both methods leave a carbon footprint and it still tastes like cheese?

Awesome, Im gonna bbq over top of burning tires.... clearly it makes no difference to taste.

:lol:

Awesome, Im gonna bbq over top of burning tires.... clearly it makes no difference to taste.

:lol:

Burning tires have chemicals that release noxious gases. Methane and propane don't. CO2 and H2O. To give it a bit of smoky flavour, I soak some applewood chips in water, wrap in tinfoil and put it on the plates. That does create an extra aromatic kick :cool:

Standing next to my propane grill and then next to the charcoal Weber, there's no question which one smells better when its going full tilt. And as we know, smell and taste are tightly intertwined. Im not convinced by that article at all, there are obviously more factors at stake since my personal experience is opposite of what they're claiming.

Furthermore, you can't expect a 100 percent efficient burn from propane... some unburned gas is guaranteed to touch your meat. There's a clear taste difference to me.

And considering that you can get electric or propane assisted igniters for charcoal now, it's a no-brainer. Im ready to grill within 10 minutes of stepping outside. That's about 8 minutes longer than propane, but well worth it IMO.

Grilling Over Gas Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Charcoal

"Charcoal purists will try and tell you that their preferred fuel leads to better flavor. This is, well, nonsense.
Your food doesn’t know what’s creating the heat below it, and once charcoal is hot, there aren’t any aromatic compounds left in the coals. According to the food science bible Modernist Cuisine, “Carbon is carbon; as it burns, it imparts no flavor of its own to the food being grilled.”

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/0...ectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

Not so fast Mrs. Wonderful.

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/0...s-objectively-scientifically-better-than-gas/

Charcoal purists will try and tell you that their preferred fuel leads to better flavor. This is, well, nonsense.
Your food doesn’t know what’s creating the heat below it, and once charcoal is hot, there aren’t any aromatic compounds left in the coals.

So all those professional rib barbequers don't know better since they all cook with real wood, never with gas? I've always been a charcoal/wood bbqer. Last year I brought home a propane grill for free and tried it out. Although convenient, it paled in taste compared to my Weber kettle.

Back
Top Bottom