Anyone using Plasti-dip???? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone using Plasti-dip????

what type of finish is it? Will vinyl numbers/lettering stick to it? Or is it too rough

Literally it's a rubberized type of finish. sort of like what you'd feel on an old set of plier handles. It'll stick i THINK, but it won't be the most secure.

Plasti dip experience, anyone used this stuff on fairings?

So i got a couple of plastic pieces for my project bike from ebay, the guy who sold it to me had primer on them, that was cracking, so i sanded it all off and was thinking about the color i wanted the fairing parts to be. Ended up with: i want a matte finish, but, from my spray paint experience (mostly metal parts). I cant bake plastic, and i cant clear coat it, so it will rub off.

So the question is: if anyone had experience with plastidip, how durable is it? and will it survive occasional stone dings?

P.S: I like the idea of just pealing this stuff of, sanding the stuff over again just not time manageable ;)

Thanks.

Re: Plasti dip experience, anyone used this stuff on fairings?

So the question is: if anyone had experience with plastidip, how durable is it? and will it survive occasional stone dings?
Works amazing. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Hm, cool, thanks for the responce.

Another dumb question then, maybe someone tried it:
How about plastidip clear over the flat black finish? does it turn it glossy, or makes it look like crap?

Another dumb question then, maybe someone tried it:
How about plastidip clear over the flat black finish? does it turn it glossy, or makes it look like crap?
Looks glossy, yep. Looks like crap? Nope. Way easier to clean dirt off it after it's cleared, a ***** to clean naked plastidip.

image028ls.jpg

Last edited:

Looks glossy, yep. Looks like crap? Nope. Way easier to clean dirt off it after it's cleared, a ***** to clean naked plastidip.

image028ls.jpg

Thumbs up for you!!! Great! :)
Cleaning flat black (matte) is a pain, all the water drips and everything make funny markings, so thats exactly what i wanted to do to the rims in my second question, put clear plastidip over them ;)

I plasti dipped my headlight fairing on my monster to black. Did it over a year ago and still looks new. It holds up well considering its on the front of my bike and receives alot of bugs and dirt

You might want to try vinyl wrapping as well, if you want a non-permanent solution.

Don't do your tank with it. It rubs off where your jacket and knees rub.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I have used it on my car befor, the front lip.

In my experience, it works good if you put a couple layers over it, that way its easier to peel off and it should be more durable.

The front lip of my car gets a bit dinged up from highway driving, but the good thing about that is... you can just re apply a new coat to cover it up. and if you get bored of it, just peel the whole thing off and change color or something

it doesn't rub off if applied correctly (usually you want to give it about 48 hours to fully cure and it won't feel "rubbery"). But it does and can scratch, especially from zippers on your jacket, etc. Luckily, a quick coat of platidip every month or so sprayed on top of the old plastidip (after a quick clean), will take care of that.

Also, plastidip comes out best and most permanent when the gallons are sprayed using a spray gun.

My entire bike was plastidipped using cans and came out quite good, but the layers aren't as thick, so they do scratch. My entire car is plastidipped using the gallons, and thick as hell and doesn't scratch. Even after a track day and many KMs, it looks brand new. Color for both are matte black

Did mine in black (fender, nose, tank, tail, grab bar) in May of this season. After 1-1.5 months I noticed the first signs of wear (with a tank pad) on the tank which has gradually progressed to today (October). In hindsight I wouldn't go heavier on that section, just respray every month to cover that worn appearance (cover your tank pad sticker with tape before touching up). Passenger helmet wore out a section of the tail plastics far quicker so I'd recommend putting an outdoor tape strip along the ridge. Each piece has 5 coats applied with aerosol cans. If you do it in a cooler environment, keep the cans in a warm bath so the spray doesn't clump form the cold (remember gas will cool further under expansion). Think the entire bike took 5-6 cans. I'd recommend buying them for $7 each at Menards if you're ever in the states. Regardless, practice first on a non ideal contoured/bent piece. Better to do multiple light coats than a few heavy.

How it looks in the dry:
IMAG0909_zps0ba4c1a5.jpg

1 month post without tank pad (end of last summer when I got curious)
IMAG0621_zpsdc22f41d.jpg

Today's wear (without ANY upkeep) ~8000km post:
IMAG1210_zps293a7fdc.jpg

IMAG1211_zps82bd28db.jpg

IMAG1215_zps350ef3c2.jpg

Overall parts not rubbed (although dirt road and bug splattered) are still in great shape:
IMAG1212_zps3a2413df.jpg

IMAG1213_zps20a9aa6e.jpg

IMAG1216_zps15cf76d6.jpg

Note1: if you spill gas on the tank, it will 'melt' (become 'gooey') and cause it to separate if touched so gently tap it dry, give it a day or two to fully air out, then touch it up with a quick spray in that section.

Note2: when cleaning use a rubber cloth or something completely smooth when drying, or make sure your microfiber cloth is brand new because the matte finish clings to loose threads.

I really don't get the popularity of plasti-dip. Cars, bikes look ok in photos. But it looks pretty amateur in person. I've never seen a plasti-dip application without peeling.

Even Matte paint is difficult, if you scratch it, you cannot repair it, you have to repaint, which is why there are few cars you can buy with matte/semi paint.

I really don't get the popularity of plasti-dip. Cars, bikes look ok in photos. But it looks pretty amateur in person. I've never seen a plasti-dip application without peeling.

Even Matte paint is difficult, if you scratch it, you cannot repair it, you have to repaint, which is why there are few cars you can buy with matte/semi paint.

then you haven't looked hard enough. I dripped my rims 1.5 years ago... and they still look like the day I dipped them now.

Here's a few people that would also disagree with you

http://www.reddit.com/r/plastidip

And here's a Pink dipped Lambo

[video=youtube;G2XqNMuY0qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XqNMuY0qY[/video]

As posted above, it all works great and the "glossifier" is a must imo, it's impossible to clean otherwise.

I did my Daytona in white, and it all held up great except for the tank.

Anyone interested ive got 2.5 cans of yellow, and one can of glossifier left from a project for sale.

Send me a PM>

I dipped my winter audi rims black and laid a gold metalizer over top...looked pretty decent. But they're cheapie looking to me. Nothing beats a good p-coating on rims or even rattlecan paint - the plasti is pretty durable, but when you get 'damage' it's a ***** to fix it, cuz it doesnt' self level over imperfections. So you're respraying the entire panel. ANNNNND just google it, clearcoats don't necessarily like plastidip.

That being said. I have 3 cans of black and 3 cans of gold metalizer if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom