Anyone know what this could be? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone know what this could be?

Could it be a water heater instead of a fireplace? I've seen similar looking boxes on cottages that use propane hot water heaters...
I don't know the code. Where I have seen coaxial water heater venting they used a different termination than the one shown. Maybe you can legally use the fireplace termination for a gas water heater.

330693236_MainImage_001_l.jpg

330693234_MainImage_001_l.jpg

Just to give you some more visual context.

I use my sidedoor all the time (bungalo), when I walk outside I get impacted with smoke smell. It obvious and it does't smell like BBQ, sometimes it has smelled strictly like ashes.
Since I haven't been using my car often because of COVID, and well I have a motorcycle ;) it will sit for days and the smell of the smoke will contaminate my car, so much so after I use it I smell like smoke.

If I go to the 2 X position on my property the smell of smoke practically disappears.
v = vent locations (there is 2 for some reason)

houses.png

If you can smell smoke you’ll see it if you’re near the source. That vent would have it escaping if it’s the source. Have a look next time.

Is it wood smoke you smell? Has your neighbour just sneakily moved his fire pit or gotten one that looks like something else (wood fired pizza oven?).

We had a problem with people using fire pits for days on end earlier this year but they got the word that neighbours could smell smoke in their homes so they seem to have stopped.
Yeah I am waiting for this to happen again and will go out and investigate it. The last time was a few weeks ago, and I only recently found these vents.
I've thought they might have moved the pit, but if it was the opposite side of their property then it wouldn't impact the area as much as it does in the photo above (yellow circle)

I agree with jc100 based on the evidence so far. My money is on an outdoor pit, "BBQ" or other like device that they are using to burn the wood scraps etc. Moved it out of your sight so you don't see it to complain.

Unless you see the smoke coming out of this vent, it is very unlikely they are burning wood in their gas fireplace.
Yeah I know it's quite the mystery and annoyance. But feel I am getting closer to finding out the source.

It looks similar to the direct vent for the gas heater in my garage. There is NO way to burn stuff in it though.

Keep us posted.

It looks similar to the direct vent for the gas heater in my garage. There is NO way to burn stuff in it though.

Keep us posted.
Curious, would you mind posting a photo of your vent.

The vent in the OP's picture looks like one I saw for an industrial infrared heating system. The hot pipe idea that fries your head while your feet freeze.

Be careful they aren’t cremating bodies in the basement .

Any chance they’ve put a wood-burning sauna in the basement?

Got a pic of the vent at the front? Is that more likely the problem since your car smells of smoke?

And what is that long white pvc pipe next to the satellite dishes? Is it connected to anything or just stored there? Seems out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful they aren’t cremating bodies in the basement .

Any chance they’ve put a wood-burning sauna in the basement?

Got a pic of the vent at the front? Is that more likely the problem since your car smells of smoke?

And what is that long white pvc pipe next to the satellite dishes? Is it connected to anything or just stored there? Seems out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's funny you mention the sauna, when I looked at the vent it's right above a basement window. The whole window was covered with mositure. I dunno what's going on there but seemed weird.
I don't have a picture of the front vent, it looks exactly the same. But I'll take a second look and take a pix.
The pipe and other stuff is just hanging around there, they just dump stuff like this around the side of the house.

It's funny you mention the sauna, when I looked at the vent it's right above a basement window. The whole window was covered with mositure. I dunno what's going on there but seemed weird.
I don't have a picture of the front vent, it looks exactly the same. But I'll take a second look and take a pix.
The pipe and other stuff is just hanging around there, they just dump stuff like this around the side of the house.
My $5 says grow op. They are burning the cast offs so they dont have to carry it all out.

I would be ok with that, these ffuckkers have been a pain in butt with this burning stupidity.
A few times I walked out of my house and it was like walking into a ash cloud, impacts my house, the car, I get outta my car and I reek of smoke.
I feel a call to 9-1-1 is in order….I mean you smell smoke…see smoke…you’re just being a concerned neighbour to make sure your neighbours are ok inside their house.

I feel a call to 9-1-1 is in order….I mean you smell smoke…see smoke…you’re just being a concerned neighbour to make sure your neighbours are ok inside their house.

I was working at an apartment building and there was smoke from an unknown source so I called 911 and a fire crew was dispatched. We then found out that it was a neglected pot on a stove in another apartment and called the fire department to cancel the call. They can't cancel the call without investiagting so the big red trucks arrived.

7A562EF1-E5A0-4AA9-AC36-44CB49B88F1B.jpegI don't know the code. Where I have seen coaxial water heater venting they used a different termination than the one shown. Maybe you can legally use the fireplace termination for a gas water heater.

330693236_MainImage_001_l.jpg

330693234_MainImage_001_l.jpg

A natural draft direct vent water heater uses a vent termination similar to a f/p, they were used in mobile homes before direct vent power vent units came around.

Sburns - Sorry, pics are a pain for me with no phone (camera, sim card, download, upload...) But trust me the guys above have nailed it - vent for a gas appliance (fireplace, water heater etc). I can't see how you could possibly burn wood or other scrap in any of them. And again there's no trace of soot which comes with most burning.

Sburns - Sorry, pics are a pain for me with no phone (camera, sim card, download, upload...) But trust me the guys above have nailed it - vent for a gas appliance (fireplace, water heater etc). I can't see how you could possibly burn wood or other scrap in any of them. And again there's no trace of soot which comes with most burning.
I doubt you could burn solids in an approved gas appliance but I wouldn't put it past a moron to connect a different fuel burning appliance to an existing vent (thinking all chimneys are the same so why would it matter).

Friends have a direct vent fireplace that you can open the glass on to light the pilot or reorganize the fake logs. Nothing prevents you from putting solid fuel in it (other than a warning sticker and self-preservation).

Lack of staining/soot supports only gas burning through the pictured hood.

Also, residential gas appliances using the venting mentioned above ( corrugated/metal direct vent or B vent) those vents are rated for lower temperature rating then what a solid fuel equipment produces.. If someone crazy tried to toss some solid fuel ( wood logs) inside a gas F/P wanting/thinking they can work just like a wood burning one, I think soot and stains would be a smaller issue then the venting melting away and possible a house fire occurring. If the neighborhour is burning solid fuels( wood or trash) I doubt it’s coming outta that vent termination on the side of the house.

Maybe your neighbour has an oil/wood combo furnace, he doesn’t want to pay for oil so he is rocking just the wood side now.. but that would be a totally different vent then the little sidewall shoe box vent.. highly doubt it if you live in a town/city but just guessing some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom