Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 57 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

This is the bike I want to make better for the road.

View attachment 62911
First you have to check condition of the bike.

Check for play in the headset, bottom bracket, hubs and pedals. Check your rims for dents (flat spots) and loose spokes.

If those are ok, lube the brake (I am guessing these are cable actuated disks) and shift cables.

Put slicks on the bike as discussed earlier.

It has a lot of extra weight on it. That never helps (but may be required).

What tire pressure are you running now? Most go to 65 psi or so and if you are using it on the road, 40+ is noticeably easier than 20.

Frame size looks a little small. How's the fit? What hurts after riding?
Running 65psi on it, the frame is HEAVY, and the baby seat will go soon as the youngest is still too young for it.

Lower back pain as always.

Yes, @Soulcatcher668, the brakes are cable actuated discs and shift cables. The shifter is slightly damaged due to a drop. Most of the bike seems alright, but a little chatter from the chain.

That rear brake caliper mounting looks sketchy AF.

That rear brake caliper mounting looks sketchy AF.
I think the brake is mounted to a giant dropout casting. The sketchy parts hold the kid on I think.

MP, what are the forks? How much bobbing while you ride? You may be able to stiffen them up to waste less energy.

Ultimately, a heavy bike will not be as fun to ride as a light bike. I wouldn't put a lot of money into making a heavy bike better.

I think the brake is mounted to a giant dropout casting. The sketchy parts hold the kid on I think.

MP, what are the forks? How much bobbing while you ride? You may be able to stiffen them up to waste less energy.

Ultimately, a heavy bike will not be as fun to ride as a light bike. I wouldn't put a lot of money into making a heavy bike better.
I doubt those forks have any adjustment. Putting a straight fork on would do wonders for weight and handling but the cost is not justified.

Changing the stem to something more upright is cheap and would help with the riding position.
I really would not throw more money at this bike than that and cheap slicks.

This is the bike I want to make better for the road.

View attachment 62911
Nice, i also ride a KHS, have ridden one for the past 4 years or so! Bought it used from someone moving to vancouver for just under $300
Had straight bars, switched to road bars with suicide brakes (bought as brand new taken off other bike for like $40)
Got some nice continental gatorskins. And after 2 seasons of riding it, changed the brake pads. For a model year 2013, gotta say, works like a charm!
It's deceivingly fast for something that only has one speed, very very low on maintenance. Love it.

AIL4fc8MVXYw2_QSHvirCh0Q_YXUMTEa6n6mugWYlXvM-nbVMf2DLFPu0Aj4zoz2G1qHFmuB94OZRWyRuIXMhGDCOsVsauv4en82ZfY73MCvnePsw-nIekU8hxaMBZHci8umkzXlLXTfVc2brfKEyr3o9MBBaaqL4jK4sDK01pPsIy7KnpbT3bUqH7OatA-LqOSIBcVnV-J_DOL5SwZPx3B74-L4Ze37GBkXn75jvC0E278TCk0rgjQxT4WlfvKU9IP06SYeY5AgsTjiLJCBNVG7Zzn-Vj6KsuBtyPglxbWyBvYg558KO_k6ZL7xOkVt-13G-bx5jMwSSle40gqLjkp_P3MKE8Khxcsvs7rYF6OXNpDi9T2qGjWQK1mTa0U1XG0T7oARYl26P_Z68x7Y6J2f0WrY3O2UzUnCOjlyYDwSKaaQ80Xd1eI95pr15-1M_4ue6nkStOfkIpTjUS9syisMi9ZAlLkbzU6kiKVsaaSyKlEyW05F9L8kBRzXoLgE8Fp_IobdjIzbIZ4D7h_TaJWAAWe0ATbsA3OoJu4eDbTeFNSPy7Ua7J1YV0B4-XgjSPj-UhuUYSH1RO9s0ac5mqB-ebMun13YUK8hS3IPJuuHuomNLXtKclucePcmYQ3vE_tcFN_a594tgYfCJOsgYnhP2CbRnbqdg2ElqtlH31W27Sniu6vKCXNQm9o6QlIwgwtdsS-Mmykj81nUAVxyYMH18RRLVBID4mOM4t01MQ7jrIzNCr4ZNXKRW81T-7gSsuVVtn0L82OomvBYC_3Ege80xAVhSI4wXm7qyvNzXZyERg_QiixjQbTtmQ2X2LilmWDZum6vuvhK-Xd2UH9Xcmf5W_EbYiuxl7P6RaYrrA36_aRM3AHSbujWFVwpXwu_yNTdCwNh80clo51yC2BR0Auf6Fs=w1746-h849-s-no

For your back issues it could be a mix of things, i know that when i dont ride my (other) road bike which is more aggressive, it takes me 2-3 rides before my back gets used to it and isnt sore after. Then i'm golden, so it could be time in the saddle, or it could be positioning, and that can only be solved by trying to do a bike fitting (you can do one at home with the school of youtube). Or there's an app too that does it, velofit, dont know what the basic fit thats free offers but you probably need some kind of bike stand or bike trainer.

Used Fastback or possible clone. Bit of a drive.

Thread revival. Anyone into winter riding? Namely Fat Tire bikes? I picked up a Northrock a few seasons ago and enjoy it for snow, trail and beach riding. Swap out the tires for studs when the ice forms. Brakes are mechanical but, never going fast enough to worry. I could probably walk faster but, doing it on two wheels is the fun part.

Also picked up a cheap Hybrid for bombing around on.
1701143982230.jpeg

Thread revival. Anyone into winter riding? Namely Fat Tire bikes? I picked up a Northrock a few seasons ago and enjoy it for snow, trail and beach riding. Swap out the tires for studs when the ice forms. Brakes are mechanical but, never going fast enough to worry. I could probably walk faster but, doing it on two wheels is the fun part.

Also picked up a cheap Hybrid for bombing around on.
View attachment 64584
It is also human powered fatbike season for me. I also have a Northrock, the XCF. I swapped out the crank (to a 170mm one) and put a larger front disc on it. Works great.

I have a couple of old school road frames laying around, I plan to also build one up and get some studded 700c wheels.

It is also human powered fatbike season for me. I also have a Northrock, the XCF. I swapped out the crank (to a 170mm one) and put a larger front disc on it. Works great.

I have a couple of old school road frames laying around, I plan to also build one up and get some studded 700c wheels.
Where do you plan on riding the studded road bike? On the road in the winter? Recreational trails? Commuting?

Where do you plan on riding the studded road bike? On the road in the winter? Recreational trails? Commuting?
Not an everyday bike but I plan to ride it on nicer winter days where there may still be some left over ice on the roads or easy trails. Gravel bike size tires (the likely frame is an old POS CCM 27 incher)...

I have all the parts in bins, I will pick up some used studded tires. So the cost of the experiment is mostly just my time.

Back
Top Bottom