Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Also 150% of the bike market, people don't car what the bike looks like... I gave away a supercycle that had been in my garage and not ridden in several years. But i don't want to encourage covid pricing lol.

My buddy sold his bike for MSRP even though he rode about 2000km on it in a season... people need them bikes and it kinda warms my heart that we get to have more people on bikes but i hate the market that goes around it lol.

Also how bout them gravel bikes, i see a lot of people using them to go pretty much everywhere in ontario! I feel like i'm missing out
Yes, I just built a gravel bike from a vintage Bianchi 700c MTB.

Little slower and of course heavier than my dedicated road bike but it can go almost everywhere except for the hardest MTB trails. Ironically it is not all that much different than what we did back in the day with 27 X 1 1/4 road bikes, before mountain biking was a big thing.

Holes are standard M5. They are on both sides, but they do not go through to the axle or derailleur hanger.

Yes I got it. I am not overly stoked on it, but I will see if it grows on me.

1. Between hauling my tools, shoppings and carrying my lock I really like the slim profile axium rack. I am looking at possibly installing the rack by replacing the axle with a hex bolt-on throuaxle that I can drill and put a skewer through. I always thought installing racks to the axle is the best way since it moves weight off the frame.
2. It does not have spacing for big tires. The 38s it came with rub against the frame and front derailleur. They call it gravel, but realistically it's their road frame with a taller head tube.
3. I could go with 650 wheels/tires for big clearance
4. Having a properly sized frame feels weird. I really liked my oversized JTS with short stem and wide bars. I liked the snappy handling but it was a bit too twitchy on group rides.
5. I won't strip the bikes to have an exact weight measurement, but they are very close. If TI really is as as/more durable than steel I am happy.
6. The fork is 15mm. Previous owner had the 12mm KSYRIUM PRO UST wheelset but he said he could not find a way to install on the 15mm fork. He was selling it with the ksyrium in the back and a dt swiss up front X???. I got him to include the front mavic. Someone on weightweenies sells 15 to 12 axle adapters or I can get the mavic kit to covert the hub to 15. I think I will get the weightweenies adapter as that will keep allow me to use any 12 wheel going forward.

It was quite a mission to get it. Yes I need a local bicycle local forum not GTA motorcycle.

8177680425a4c893a686a9d0af0e0b3f.jpg

For those that take apart a lot of bikes (I'm looking at you @backmarkerducati and @FullMotoJacket ) what is the extra screw on my derailleur? Between the plates below the X in XTR. Everything else makes sense (H-L, clamp, SIS, b screw for tension). I don't want to monkey around with that one too much until I know what it is supposed to be doing as it's easy to lose track of its starting position. It's M952 and I looked at the manual but it doesn't seem to talk about that screw.

IMG_6603.JPG

cam for spring tension

For those that take apart a lot of bikes (I'm looking at you @backmarkerducati and @FullMotoJacket ) what is the extra screw on my derailleur? Between the plates below the X in XTR. Everything else makes sense (H-L, clamp, SIS, b screw for tension). I don't want to monkey around with that one too much until I know what it is supposed to be doing as it's easy to lose track of its starting position. It's M952 and I looked at the manual but it doesn't seem to talk about that screw.

IMG_6603.JPG
Full breakdown is here I think, https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-RD-M952-1794.pdf
I don’t even see that screw in the diagram. And doesn’t exist on any of my road derailleurs. Maybe holding the spring in place? Don’t think it’s used for adjustment.

IMG_6603.JPG
I have four of these here (well some eigth some nine speed) at the moment, I will take a look later tonight, maybe snap some pics. I have fully rebuilt them and I do not remember this screw but I will double check.

It doesn't show the spring mechanism in that diagram, It doesn't show anything about it in the Shmoo service manual, either. It's a 2 stage tension cam. You can chose between regular and light spring tension of the parallelogram spring.

Thanks. Why would Shimano physically add adjustments but not document them? They did the expensive part and skipped the cheap part.

Why would Shimano physically add adjustments but not document them?

I've asked that same question of FANUC hundreds of times. Usually got a shrug and "they're Japanese".

It might be mentioned in the dealer shop manual. I haven't looked at one. Trust me. That's what it is and what it does. TBH, there's negligible difference between the settings.

I've asked that same question of FANUC hundreds of times. Usually got a shrug and "they're Japanese".

It might be mentioned in the dealer shop manual. I haven't looked at one. Trust me. That's what it is and what it does. TBH, there's negligible difference between the settings.
I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning them. They documented the things that 99% of the people adjusting the derailleur already knew and skipped the one thing that is different on this model.

I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning them. They documented the things that 99% of the people adjusting the derailleur already knew and skipped the one thing that is different on this model.

If I were to guess I would say it was forgotten by the engineer forwarding the specs to the service manual writers and they assumed it was just a mounting screw and didn't question it. Like I said, I've seen a lot of head scratching stuff in Japanese service manuals over the years. My favourite one that I will always remember is a reset sequence "Depress button for several 10 seconds". Somewhere between several and 10 seconds? 10 seconds, several times in succession? Press and pray?

Well I stand corrected, all my XTRs have it... Yes it adjusts the tension on the spring as noted by FMJ, I just tried it... Never even phased me before.

XTR5.jpg

I am trying to get my PF30 out and it's being stubborn. I got bigger hammers, but what about heating titanium alloy? Would it affect the frame in a negative way?

Just for entertainment. Wayfair sells bikes. wtf. Aluminum road bike with disc brakes classified as full suspension mountain bike. 36 lbs (holy crap). $280 (seems cheap). What is up with the crazy reach in the bars? No frame size provided.

Aluminum+Full+Suspension+Road+Bike+21+Speed+Disc+Brakes%2C+700C.jpg

Finally let the road bike see the sun. It has been on the trainer for a few years. Weee. Much faster than the mtb. I should have bought a compact crank. Hopefully my fitness improves before my heart explodes.

Throw a 39 on for now.

I can say the cyclist I had the displeasure of having an encounter with on Saturday didn't paint bikers with a good light.

Crawling stop and go traffic downtown Burlington just coming into the downtown I had about a 5 or 6 foot gap to the car in front of me and from my left side (turning lane) a cyclist cuts right, in front of my truck and then carries on quickly against the curb past all of the cars in front of me. about 5 seconds later I see his friend coming up the left side of me as well so I hit my gas to close the gap to the car in front of me as I knew he was going to pull same stunt. Blew on my horn as he was in front of my windshield in between the now 3 foot gap to the car in front and just about lost control and stopped so we could both yell out "F-U" to each other a couple of times and then carried on riding his bike along the curb (no bike lane)

My only regret is not making a smaller gap to the car in front of me faster to make him crash so he could explain to the police his complete disregard of traffic laws.

Back
Top Bottom