Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 36 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

I'm right now between two bikes .

I have a Rocky Mountain right now . But it is set up for off road . It is also a bit small for me ( Medium frame ).
I went out for some trail riding and a few jumps . It just didn't do it for my age . I like the idea of a bigger tires for the road . I might do some tail ridding without jumps and such .
If you are doing mostly paved with maybe the odd bit of gravel I expect the hybrid will be a better option (assuming it fits of course). Specially if you have a MTB today.

Looking at both bikes they are typical entry level with mostly entry level name brand parts that should do the job for most people. I would rather the hybrid had a rigid fork, the suspension fork it has is IMO a fashion accessory that adds cost and weight.

Remember big box store bikes may end up with assembly problems as compared to a LBS.... but the buying market is tough.

While I appreciate the kindness of strangers I am getting bored of rebuilding loose ball bearing bottom brackets and wheels. I've gone through four bikes so far this year that were absolutely horrendous (one was a crap 12" bike new in box, one 24" that the handlebars fell off of, one 20" bmx with wheels that could barely complete a turn before stopping, a 12" with cranks that felt like they were in mud). Thankfully I was able to get some of them moved on to other homes as there is no room to move in the garage.

What do you guys think about titanium frames? Seems like on paper is an amaizing material, by in reality due to is very sensitive manufacturing requirements it often ends up cracking.

What do you guys think about titanium frames? Seems like on paper is an amaizing material, by in reality due to is very sensitive manufacturing requirements it often ends up cracking.
I love mine and will never sell it. I have had it for more than 15 years. Depreciation through that time has been zero. Buying new custom ti is very expensive and those take a significant depreciation hit (I bought mine two years old for $6000 less than a new one). Carbon frames depreciate like a rock as there is no easy way to determine if it is likely to fail on your next ride (other than you being the only owner and treating it like an egg).

If it cracks (which happens but not often on well-made frames) there are competent people that can fix it.

They were going to be the next big thing after aluminum--which was the next big thing after butted cromoly--but then composite (carbon fibre) hit the market and they never really got their full day in the sun, higher manufacturing costs being a problem, that never dropped enough. It is actually not all that rare of an element in this planet....

They are of course still made but more of a boutique thing. Lots of Aliexpress options as well... But I lusted after titanium back in the day (specifically Airborne for whatever reason back then) and if I found the right deal I would be all over it for a build.

Just remember it is actually heavier than aluminum at the same volume of material but the Young's Modulus is higher by about that same ratio....

They were going to be the next big thing after aluminum--which was the next big thing after butted cromoly--but then composite (carbon fibre) hit the market and they never really got their full day in the sun, higher manufacturing costs being a problem, that never dropped enough. It is actually not all that rare of an element in this planet....

They are of course still made but more of a boutique thing. Lots of Aliexpress options as well... But I lusted after titanium back in the day (specifically Airborne for whatever reason back then) and if I found the right deal I would be all over it for a build.

Just remember it is actually heavier than aluminum at the same volume of material but the Young's Modulus is higher by about that same ratio....
Most definitely it is cheaper to bang out carbon frames in overseas factories. Ti takes experience and a lot of labour. You can make some things that are truly amazing to look at in Ti but whether that actually translates into a "better" ride is very subjective. My ti bike when new was pretty light but new tupperware bikes are definitely lighter.

None of the below are mine. Just cool examples. T-Lab (montreal custom bikes with funky variable geometry tubes), lynskey helix (twisted square tubes probably a dumb idea for function but looks cool), Brad Bingham welds, anodized ti frame (various colours possible based on voltage used).

X3_gravel_DT_side_2021-04-07-143643.jpg

product_509816_85055.jpg

185490604_2758878660996288_5826098461163214036_n.jpg

Mooro_examples-1.jpg

I was torn between getting a steel rove and an aluminum jake the snake. Realistically I need both but this year the supply is dry. With Kona's warranty I would have been ok to buy a new JTS and beat on it for 10 years. With 650 wheels it should do ok on the light mtb trails I don't want to slog my process 153 on. If it cracks I get a new one. There's no stock, so I am hesitant to pick up a used alu. The rove should be a tank but it is considerably heavier. So.... titanium it is.

I really wanted ti when I built up my cyclocross bike 5 or 6 years back, but decided to save some cost and go with a carbon frame. Kicking myself a bit because that added cost out of the 10+ years use of would’ve amounted to nothing over the long haul. My road bike will be due for an upgrade in a couple years and a bespoke ti frame will be very high on my want list. Light(er)weight and aero gets less important to me every year.

Maurice Lavoie in Whistler does beautiful Ti welding.

ACtC-3fmChnGobjWpovewHDlvyEqG8Qsw-Tj4BVYV0HHiflBCH4HEmjMlqkb3cQL0mhxsXug0aODwFh9mMe1ehJCCzY5Ht3NmNlH0ws1ZhQb3yHWNy-64gQobgVqwW8tLQO_NYhsqwW3gB0QpYqjtMrl5arg=w1250-h937-no

I was torn between getting a steel rove and an aluminum jake the snake. Realistically I need both but this year the supply is dry. With Kona's warranty I would have been ok to buy a new JTS and beat on it for 10 years. With 650 wheels it should do ok on the light mtb trails I don't want to slog my process 153 on. If it cracks I get a new one. There's no stock, so I am hesitant to pick up a used alu. The rove should be a tank but it is considerably heavier. So.... titanium it is.
What is your target weight for the bike?

I am looking at either a 2007 lynskey R150 or a 2005 litespeed t5 gravel. It's hard to find exact specs but it looks like the litespeed is lighter and takes larger tires.

Not a rack guy, so I am no expert, most I have seen would classically mount from the side not the back, I don't know what I don't know on this one.. Are there any upper mounts on the seat stays closer to the seat tube? Assuming the same thing is on the DS and NDS....

Did you buy the Litespeed or just deep dive research?

What's up with these dropout eyelets? Can a rack be installed on these eyelets?
fae2a866348900b953318d6d68730381.jpg
My thought is a set screw or similar for either the through axle or derailleur hanger. I've never owned a through axle bike though so I could be wrong.

That's a pretty small hole if you wanted it to take the dynamic loads of a rack.

More on the crazy COVID bicycle market.

Sold my youngest's 24 inch GT Stomper Ace today, the bike was in really good shape, couple very minor add-ons and upgrades over the few years we had it (kid is now on the Gary Fisher Tarpon I did a while back). Was on my to-do list, finally got around to it, spent a couple of hours washing, waxing, tuning up, taking very nice quality photos and making a thorough detailed listing, Facebook and Kijiji.... It sold literally in minutes, inbox was inundated. Spent more time making the ad than the ad was up. Of course there were still some idiots low balling, I guess their kids will be walking or Supercycling :).

Fair COVID era price, another happy kid, off to a good home. Once again Facebook Marketplace > Kijiji

I was a bit sad to see it go, but my kid could have cared less, which I guess also made me sad.

GT Stomper Ace.jpg

Sold my youngest's 24 inch GT Stomper Ace today, the bike was in really good shape, couple very minor add-ons and upgrades over the few years we had it (kid is now on the Gary Fisher Tarpon I did a while back). Was on my to-do list, finally got around to it, spent a couple of hours washing, waxing, tuning up, taking very nice quality photos and making a thorough detailed listing, Facebook and Kijiji.... It sold literally in minutes, inbox was inundated. Spent more time making the ad than the ad was up. Of course there were still some idiots low balling, I guess their kids will be walking or Supercycling :).

Fair COVID era price, another happy kid, off to a good home. Once again Facebook Marketplace > Kijiji

I was a bit sad to see it go, but my kid could have cared less, which I guess also made me sad.

View attachment 48996
That's a cool bike for a kid. My son is still using a 16" generously provided by a gtam member but should be on a bigger bike. A friend gave him an aluminum 24" (Giant Brass) which is too big but similar geometry to your gt so it was possible to adjust to fit. Neighbour saw him on the 24 and gave him a 20" bmx (DK Rise). Now to convince the kid to ride the big bikes some more as he still prefers the 16.

Last edited:
That's a cool bike for a kid. My son is still using a 16" generously provided by a gtam member but should be on a bigger bike. A friend gave him an aluminum 24" which is too big but similar geometry to your gt so it was possible to adjust to fit. Neighbour saw him on th 24 and gave him a 20" bmx. Now to convince the kid to ride the big bikes some more as he still prefers the 16.
I switched to a longer seat post to get an extra year out of it (in the pic). The original post can slam the seat pretty low with the frame geometry. I gave them both as the kid was pretty young.

View attachment 48996
Also 150% of the bike market, people don't car what the bike looks like... I gave away a supercycle that had been in my garage and not ridden in several years. But i don't want to encourage covid pricing lol.

My buddy sold his bike for MSRP even though he rode about 2000km on it in a season... people need them bikes and it kinda warms my heart that we get to have more people on bikes but i hate the market that goes around it lol.

Also how bout them gravel bikes, i see a lot of people using them to go pretty much everywhere in ontario! I feel like i'm missing out

Back
Top Bottom