Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 253 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

I know about this; it's not an April Fools joke. BUT. What they are doing, is taking carbon dioxide from some other process, chemically reacting it with hydrogen to produce water and hydrocarbons, and tailoring that process to produce hydrocarbons that are compatible with gasoline (or diesel) engines. This article has a little more information Porsche-backed pilot plant to produce synthetic fuel at industrial scale

There are thermodynamic losses at every step in this process. If there is hydrogen involved then electricity was involved to make that. It's less efficient to do this than to use the hydrogen in a fuel cell, and that is even less efficient than to use the original electricity to charge and discharge a battery.

This process will have niche-market applications, just like hydrogen fuel cells will. The average person using the average daily driver for the average application will be better off with battery-electric. If you want to operate your classic combustion-engine vehicle at some point in the far-flung future, this process is an option. Applications that continue to defy use of battery-electric, could use this fuel, and there's the advantage of not needing an entirely new distribution network.

And Sunny always conveniently omits the carbon emissions from strip mining lithium etc.

And Sunny always conveniently omits the carbon emissions from strip mining lithium etc.
There's a company in Alberta called E3 Metals that's building a plant to pull the lithium out of the brine water there that's supposed to be less harsh on the environment.

There's going to be a ton of need for lithium in the near future so hope they're successful as Alberta needs it.

Dear clueless GM, your recent Bolt release is a disaster.... please take styling notes (those nice clean lines, wheels pushed out to the corners. yum!).

Had your Bolt/Volt series looked less dorky and something like this, I'm certain you guys would have gained some relevance and buzz in the electric arena much sooner....

signed Sunny.

Last edited:
That Ioniq 5 is damn sexy ... right now at the top of the list for my 2017 Volt replacement (which granted is nowhere in sight yet).

Yowza.....love the look of the Ioniq 5. Is it ever going to come to North America or is it too cool looking for our markets?

Yowza.....love the look of the Ioniq 5. Is it ever going to come to North America or is it too cool looking for our markets?
Looks like it is:

"
  • The U.S.-market Ioniq 5 will make up to 300 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque and has a 77.4-kWh battery. It is slated to go on sale this fall, with other Ioniq models coming in 2022 and 2024."

Looks like it is:

"
  • The U.S.-market Ioniq 5 will make up to 300 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque and has a 77.4-kWh battery. It is slated to go on sale this fall, with other Ioniq models coming in 2022 and 2024."
Thanks. Glanced it quick and didn’t finish the article. My bad.

That Ioniq 5 is damn sexy ... right now at the top of the list for my 2017 Volt replacement (which granted is nowhere in sight yet).

Let me know when you’re ready to sell that 2017. ?

Looks like Hyundai has some tricks up their sleeve with the new Ioniq platform:

And I won't be buying one. It's too big. It won't fit in my driveway with what else needs to be there. I neither need nor want something that big, anyhow. Bolt, ID3 (which looks like it won't be sold here), Kona are the right size.

Compare to the styling of the Ioniq, I can see how the Dolt will set the sales charts on fire.

Automakers have a perfect opportunity to get rid of the gaudy redundant front grill. See the Ioniq? thats how its done...

gm dolt.jpeg

And this is why you have to take your time:

LG Chem is the culprit. Same supplier that provides the Bolt batteries. Theres a recall on Bolts too.

Tesla did it right. If you can't make your own batteries. Panasonic is the way to go

Interesting, looks like our Ioniq may fall within this recall, just need to check the build date but I’m pretty sure I remember it being a very late year build 2017.

Guess we’re getting an brand new battery.

Not too worried, the car is only ever charged to 100% when we’re going any long distance with it, which in reality is maybe once a month right now. The rest of the time I’m careful to park it charged between 30-80%

I saw that story and I like this quote:

"So we spent a lot of time, several years, doing research in solid-state batteries. And it’s kind of a technology where when you feel like you’re 90 percent there, you’re almost there, until you realize the last 10 percent is much more difficult than the first 90. But you don’t really know that until you get up to the 90 percent."

I hope QuantumScape gets that 10% figured out.

I saw that story and I like this quote:

"So we spent a lot of time, several years, doing research in solid-state batteries. And it’s kind of a technology where when you feel like you’re 90 percent there, you’re almost there, until you realize the last 10 percent is much more difficult than the first 90. But you don’t really know that until you get up to the 90 percent."

I hope QuantumScape gets that 10% figured out.

Engineers that have never heard of the 10-90 Rule? Let me guess. They were the ones that were upset that after 4 years of engineering school they still hadn't driven a train yet.

Back
Top Bottom