Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 209 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Still has zero real world relevance to anything that I do with a vehicle.
Yeah, I would be much happier with a static pull test if someone actually cared about the results. That eliminates the angle of the tow line (which benefited the truck in this test) and provides real numbers. You could also play around with things like tire pressure and weight in the bed (or trunk) to show the effect.

Honestly though, at this point vehicles make lots of power. Even econo-cars are more powerful than sports cars of the not so distant past. It is all just a d%^&% swinging contest with very little application to the real world (especially in the case of the EV where towing anything collapses the range to the point of being functionally useless).

Actually, come to think of it, instead of the ATV, Musk should have released a powered trailer. Design it with nice slippery aero and a battery pack under the floor. Either send the power to the tow vehicle or power the trailer wheels directly (nothing crazy, say ~40 hp to cancel out steady-state wind resistance)

Still waiting on an eight seater.

Reactions: nfq
There has been a failure:

There has been a fix:

One wonders ... they themselves wonder ... how much having that first article show up on a well-respected car magazine website influenced (A) how promptly they got the fault addressed, and (B) that they got a choice of any loaner car they wanted (after initial unresponsiveness).

Failure happened with about 9000 km on the car. One wonders also, what that would have cost had it happened out of warranty.

(My little car built by Sunny S's supposedly worst-of-the-worst it'll-break-so-often-you'll-never-get-home-from-a-trip Fix It Again Tony, now has 138,000 km and counting of not stranding me.)

And another failure: Summons crashed my car into a column

If "smart summon" is incapable of seeing an obstruction so close to the vehicle and properly reacting to it at crawl speed, how's "full self driving" supposed to see an obstruction that close to the vehicle and properly react to it at ANY speed?

"But a human driver might not have seen an obstruction that close, either" - Yeah. I know full well that, for example, my van has huge blind spots when maneuvering. For example, it's impossible to see something low on the ground next to the right front fender or door - it's out of direct view from the driver's seat and it's not within range of the mirrors. Know what? If it's that critical to know how close I am to something in that spot, I get out of the van and go look for myself.

I was having a discussion about this self-driving nonsense with someone a couple days ago, who insists that self-driving is closer than we think. I still maintain that it is a lot further away than the optimists suggest. (FWIW I do think it will happen in restricted applications - defined routes in good weather with predetermined exit strategies and known road conditions. Bad weather or off road - not gonna happen.)

And another failure: Summons crashed my car into a column

If "smart summon" is incapable of seeing an obstruction so close to the vehicle and properly reacting to it at crawl speed, how's "full self driving" supposed to see an obstruction that close to the vehicle and properly react to it at ANY speed?

"But a human driver might not have seen an obstruction that close, either" - Yeah. I know full well that, for example, my van has huge blind spots when maneuvering. For example, it's impossible to see something low on the ground next to the right front fender or door - it's out of direct view from the driver's seat and it's not within range of the mirrors. Know what? If it's that critical to know how close I am to something in that spot, I get out of the van and go look for myself.

I was having a discussion about this self-driving nonsense with someone a couple days ago, who insists that self-driving is closer than we think. I still maintain that it is a lot further away than the optimists suggest. (FWIW I do think it will happen in restricted applications - defined routes in good weather with predetermined exit strategies and known road conditions. Bad weather or off road - not gonna happen.)
With the way self-driving is currently being treated, you are probably both correct. The politicians will approve the semi-guided death machines, then retract the approval as the body count climbs. Companies will have no problem killing people in a effort to gain a market advantage. That data is worth more than the manufacturing arm of the company (and the IP will likely be funnelled into a separate company isolated from lawsuits against self-driving cars).

EDIT:
For entertainment, from the thread linked by Brian P. For clarity, quoted text is not related to the damaged Model X.
0c2a7734-2dc0-4b5c-829c-bb8eee5c8e96-jpeg.493259

"I have experienced some very uncomfortable delays between "button release" and "car stop", estimate 6-8 ft forward travel. If that is not too uncommon, it will always be very hard to prevent these types of errors in close quarters. "

Last edited:
There has been a failure:

[/URL][/URL]

There has been a fix:

[/URL][/URL]

One wonders ... they themselves wonder ... how much having that first article show up on a well-respected car magazine website influenced (A) how promptly they got the fault addressed, and (B) that they got a choice of any loaner car they wanted (after initial unresponsiveness).

Failure happened with about 9000 km on the car. One wonders also, what that would have cost had it happened out of warranty.

(My little car built by Sunny S's supposedly worst-of-the-worst it'll-break-so-often-you'll-never-get-home-from-a-trip Fix It Again Tony, now has 138,000 km and counting of not stranding me.)
It sent a push notification that the model 3 was no longer driveable.
Repo men will be a thing of the past soon. Cars will just be shut down or better yet, they will self drive themselves to the bank lol

Last edited:
Tesla 3 has added self-washing interior as an OTA update :)

In all seriousness, this has happened to at least a few people, but I have no idea if leaks like this are more common in Tesla than the general vehicle population. I would assume they are as they know tech, not vehicle design/assembly but have nothing to back that up. Even established brands have trouble keeping water out (VW I am looking at you and your pano-roofs).

The more you guys post silly Tesla stories, the more ridiculous you all look.

If you have been following Tesla news lately, they are running away with it! making bigger and bigger waves, gaining more market share, making money, and leaving the competition further behind without a proper response.

With Model Y launching soon, its going to get downright scary!

part 2 of Rant. Automakers still don't get it! GM is launching a 1000hp electric Hummer that nobody will want! (see superbowl ad) They had a promising design like the Bolt, and could have easily by now built on that platform some sort of CUV or SUV that people actually can afford and WANT!

The rest of the automakers still have no clue on how to design a proper electric car. and when they do, its priced statospherically (Taycan).

Game over man. Elon's brilliance will shine even brighter.

Last edited:
The more you guys post silly Tesla stories, the more ridiculous you all look.

If you have been following Tesla news lately, they are running away with it! making bigger and bigger waves, gaining more market share, making money, and leaving the competition further behind without a proper response.

It's actually getting scary.
The tesla stock rally is just idiocy. It will crash at some point. It is fueled by FOMO/hype not financially sound reasoning.

IMO, Tesla is like RIM. Awesome at something, strong out of the gate, but trying to do things they are not awesome at and it will all come apart. Tesla could sell a powertrain kit to existing manufacturers and print money for decades or they could continue cranking out marginal vehicles with fundamental defects and they will make a little money for a few years until a traditional manufacturer (or Magna) finally makes a viable competitor.

The tesla stock rally is just idiocy. It will crash at some point. It is fueled by FOMO/hype not financially sound reasoning.

IMO, Tesla is like RIM.

Actually, I'd say most rival automakers are the RIM's of this world. Dismissing the seriousness of the game changing "iPhone" equivalent of the auto world which is Tesla.

Like Apple, Tesla is, and continues to generate a huge Buzz, while rivals stand idlly by waiting and watching.

Since post #2 of this thread (March 2017) I've been acknowledging that Tesla is a force. Three years later, we still have a bunch of sleepy RIM like automakers that refuse to respond, Until its too late to gain gargantuous market share (see the Apple model)

IMO, Tesla is like RIM. Awesome at something, strong out of the gate, but trying to do things they are not awesome at and it will all come apart. Tesla could sell a powertrain kit to existing manufacturers and print money for decades or they could continue cranking out marginal vehicles with fundamental defects and they will make a little money for a few years until a traditional manufacturer (or Magna) finally makes a viable competitor.
Frig me. TSLA is looking like a marijuana stock. Lots of drugs and no fundamentals.

Tesla shares soar 40% in 2 days as euphoria sets in

Company has quadrupled in value since summer of 2019

Tesla shares briefly topped $939 US apiece on Tuesday, a level that means the company has more than doubled in value since the start of 2020.

Back
Top Bottom