Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 197 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

The 2020 VW I.D Crozz crossover will have a 500 km range.
Looks interesting but will be 100% beyond my budget. All depends on how it's marketed...from what I read it should be the same price as their ICE vehicles...but the Tiguan is still beyond my budget.

As for next car...I think hybrid/electric with 200-300km range would do for commuting duties. Honestly I think the most important part is to get on that HOV lane without hassle, so some hybrids make the cut for that.

The Rav Hybrid looks really good. We have been thinking of downsizing to one vehicle. We have a 2010 civic with 66,000km(really!) And a 2013 Tacoma with 98,000km. We should be able to get good prices for them to get a Rav. But a new Rav is going to be about $50,000.I know it would be cheap to own, but it's just not justified.

The Rav Hybrid looks really good. We have been thinking of downsizing to one vehicle. We have a 2010 civic with 66,000km(really!) And a 2013 Tacoma with 98,000km. We should be able to get good prices for them to get a Rav. But a new Rav is going to be about $50,000.I know it would be cheap to own, but it's just not justified.

Also check our the new 2020 CR-V HYBRID

It gets the great dual motor hybrid system from the sublime Accord Hybrid and is purported to get 50 percent better fuel mileage than the regular CR-V

2020 Honda CR-V Adds a Hybrid Model and Gets a New Look

The Rav4 hybrid uses the 2.5 non-turbo engine that is also the base engine in the Camry. I've had a current-generation Camry (non-hybrid) rental with that engine, and thought it was pretty good.

I’m going to check out one spec’d the way I’m suppose to get it. (Just and LE with no comfort upgrades)

List is $32k plus tax etc.

Yeah it’s the basic LE trim level but, a lot of standard stuff today that would be optional just a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m going to check out one spec’d the way I’m suppose to get it. (Just and LE with no comfort upgrades)

List is $32k plus tax etc.

Yeah it’s the basic LE trim level but, a lot of standard stuff today that would be optional just a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even the base Rav4 HV is pretty well equipped for sure. But again....order earlier than you think.

Turbo? No thanks. Remember, I'm the Luddite. Lol.

I'm pretty sure the Hybrid CR V like most hybrids engines uses a different compression cycle not suitable for turbos, so it doesn't have a turbo. The regular CR-V versions do though.

Last edited:
Ha! "Sublime" accord is like "sexy" camry. Both great cars, I'm sure, but whoa down on the superlatives just a tad!

There's a reason why it was named Car and Drivers "10 Best" cars for 22 years in a row or something like that.

If not sublime, then I'd say superb.

There's a reason why it was named Car and Drivers "10 Best" cars for 22 years in a row or something like that.

If not sublime, then I'd say superb.

In that case you'd have to add the 'remarkable' kia rio and the 'super outstanding' hyundai accent. All of which i'm sure are good cars.

The Rav4 hybrid uses the 2.5 non-turbo engine that is also the base engine in the Camry. I've had a current-generation Camry (non-hybrid) rental with that engine, and thought it was pretty good.

Lots of complaints about the low end torque on this engine, esp in the RAV4 as I believe its heavier.

The toyota comes on at 5000 rpm, the 1.5 Turbo of the Honda comes on at a nuch more usable 2000rpm, much more usable as a daily driver.

The toyota uses a 3 motor system and larger displacement engine, vs Honda's 2 motor, Unofficial estimates show the CR-V should return better gas mileage than the RAV maybe to power that extra motor and larger engine?

Although both the Toyota and Honda are stellar choices, I suggest anyone looking at a RAV4 vs CR-V drive them both. The Toyota has been criticized for its drab interior, and Honda's expertise on clever interior packaging is evident here as its bigger in virtually every metric, especially in rear cargo volume with seats folded down where its noticeably bigger.

Last edited:
This article suggests that the CRV hybrid is using the non-turbo 2.0 litre engine.

I did not find the Camry's 2.5 to be lacking low-end torque. In any case, it's almost irrelevant in the hybrid applications; Toyota's hybrid system (and others) uses the electric part of the drivetrain to fill that in. FWIW the Atkinson cycle (see Prius) inherently has next to no low-end torque - and it's irrelevant; the hybrid system fills in the gap. If significant forward power is being demanded, it simply spins the engine faster.

This article suggests that the CRV hybrid is using the non-turbo 2.0 litre engine.

I did not find the Camry's 2.5 to be lacking low-end torque. In any case, it's almost irrelevant in the hybrid applications;

my reference to the lack of low end torque was in the non hybrid applications.

the 1.5 turbo of the Honda outshines the larger displacement toyota by pulling at a much more user friendly 2000rpm vs the toyota 5000.

and the more I read on the RAV hybrid, the less impressed I am. why a three motor system which adds weight, cost and complexity? Also, the cargo space of the crV remains the same whether hybrid or non, but with the Toyota, if you choose the Hybrid RAV, you lose cargo space presumably to fit the hybrid system?

Wow. Not even more than a couple of hours now between goalpost shifting. Impressive!

out of his selections that he posted for company issued beater work vehicle? yes, its the logical choice I would choose out of that list, unless you want to drive with a paper bag over your head while driving the Bolt, thats a decent effort for a GM product as well.

paying with my own hard earned money? I'd go with the upcoming CR-V Hybrid based on digging a little deeper.

Next....

Last edited:
The RAV4 uses three motor/generators simply because Hybrid Synergy Drive (up front) inherently has two of them, and the third one is at the back of the car dedicated to the rear wheels. There's no drive shaft from front to rear. It allows the HSD transaxle to be mechanically exactly the same as that of a front-wheel-drive hybrid model.

The RAV4 uses three motor/generators simply because Hybrid Synergy Drive (up front) inherently has two of them, and the third one is at the back of the car dedicated to the rear wheels. There's no drive shaft from front to rear. It allows the HSD transaxle to be mechanically exactly the same as that of a front-wheel-drive hybrid model.
Thank you Brian. If and when we look into a change, i might ask you for some info. I definitely know where NOT to look.

Back
Top Bottom