Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 196 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Teslas are trendy appliances.
No enthusiast would prefer driving down the 101 in a Model-S rather than a 911 GT3-RS, Cayman GT4 etc :p
Just curious, how many Teslas have you driven?

Or how many EV's at all, in general?

I hear that all the time. "But, don't you miss the gnarly growl of your old Hemi?!" blah blah blah.

"EV's sound boring to drive to me"....

Then people drive one for the first time..

Even the comparatively (to something like a Tesla) slow (albeit still quite spirited as anyone who's ever driven an EV knows) acceleration of a Volt or our Ioniq off the line suddenly changes peoples minds about what EV's are all about.

100% torque from 0KPH is quite amazing to experience for the first time. You will NEVER get that on a gas car. If you've never driven an EV you've never experienced it.

Having owned a lot of different vehicles over the years including several non naturally-aspirated and several big bore v8's, honestly, I still like electric way better.

Last edited:
https://jalopnik.com/the-nurburgring-is-no-place-for-elon-musk-s-********-1838053508

I've said it before, and I will say it again, Tesla is working on their second generation power trains, where as Porsche et all or still trying to figure out the first gen.

Tesla doing so well at the 'ring with their new and forthcoming "Plaid" 3-motor powertrain apparently coming out on next years S models is no surprise.

Love em or hate em, Tesla is doing a crackin' job.

Last edited:
So they had 30 minutes of track time to try to set a lap record of ~7 minutes. So four laps or less on a car that has never been to that track before? That's impressive. Presumably, you would need a new car for each lap as things would get pretty hot. Bragging about it being the fastest production car is embarrassing though. That thing is far from anything you can buy.

Bragging about it being the fastest production car is embarrassing though. That thing is far from anything you can buy.

someone can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe its the media that are making all the hoopla about the record times.

I don't see anything on Elons twitter feed where he is "bragging", again, I may be mistaken. But we ARE talking about Musk here, he's always been a bit of a show man.

I believe them showing up at the ring with a pre production car and development of a next gen powertrain, is to fire a warning shot to show competitors whats coming, and whoa, is it coming!

Hmmm ... ruff numbers, they build about 70,000 cars per quarter, they came up $700 million short, $10000 per vehicle.

Employer company car replacement is due in a few months.

Company has gone to Hybrid & EV choices.

Bolt LT
Kia Optima Hybrid LX
Prius AWD e
Prius Prime
RAV4 Hybrid LE

Not to side track the thread too much. As much as I WANT to go full EV, I’m having a hard time evaluating the changes I’d need to make to accommodate the range and charge time.

I travel to Ottawa and Montreal often enough. At times, I could have to go to Sudbury or Windsor or where ever. 42k/45k business mileage annually.

If I can convince myself the BOLT is manageable, I still have to look into how my employer deals with the energy use element. I’m assuming they reimburse electric consumption at home while plugged in etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With that usage pattern and those choices, I have a funny feeling that you will end up in a RAV4 Hybrid. The new one is supposed to be a lot better to drive than the old one was.

@nakkers I wouldn’t be going with a Bolt based on some of those drives. With good planning and everything going right you could do it. What happens when there is a massive pile up and they close the 401 in the dead of winter and your sitting somewhere between home and Montreal pumping heat for 8 hours? It’s going to be a real bad time.

@nakkers As much as I like the idea of the BOLT, I think @blackcamaro has the right thinking process. All goes well and you're great, but we all know how much fun the 401 can be during winters.

I'm still of the mind that EVs like the Bolt / Leaf / Golf / etc are for primarily inner city, or a maximum of 150km away....but I'm still not ready to adopt that tech to that level yet.

Having said that...I want a Bolt / Leaf as an electric commuter once I come back and work in Toronto. Right now I'm searching for a fun ICE toy.

With that usage pattern and those choices, I have a funny feeling that you will end up in a RAV4 Hybrid. The new one is supposed to be a lot better to drive than the old one was.

We have been enjoying a Forester for just over 110k so, the RAV4 is the only vehicle that will serve in a similar manner.

If I was only running to the GTA/home, I’d seriously consider a sedan/EV/ and change our personal vehicle to something a little more utility.

But, enough about me........lets keep this about the EVs..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
But, enough about me........lets keep this about the EVs..........
I think we have and your post is useful.

EV's are great, they are going to take over the world. Your use case is one they are not yet ready to fulfill without significant hardship.

I would test drive the Kia and Rav. We all know the prius is going to be awful to drive and I wouldn't want a bolt if I needed to do long trips with it very often.

The current TNGA-platform Prius is supposed to be better to drive than the previous generations, but they broke the styling when they fixed the steering and suspension. So far my only experience with TNGA was in a Camry, and I was pleasantly surprised. The new RAV4 is also on TNGA.

I'm still of the mind that EVs like the Bolt / Leaf / Golf / etc are for primarily inner city, or a maximum of 150km away....but I'm still not ready to adopt that tech to that level yet.

The 2020 VW I.D Crozz crossover will have a 500 km range.

Back
Top Bottom