Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 340 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

was waiting for this one,

Their first normal production Ultium battery car for regular people.

was hoping for a better range considering all the hoop la over this new battery system. but at 5700 pounds, thats a lot of weight to move around.

hope it will hold up and it was engineered properly, if they have another Bolt fiasco, they will be done.....

was waiting for this one,

Their first normal production Ultium battery car for regular people.

was hoping for a better range considering all the hoop la over this new battery system. but at 5700 pounds, thats a lot of weight to move around.

hope it will hold up and it was engineered properly, if they have another Bolt fiasco, they will be done.....

This isnt a promising start. Bleeping wanker UI engineers (or marketing but either way someone needs a kick in the nuts).

"For example, opening the glovebox requires a menu selection and then a side screen swipe before you can see the open touch point."

Edit:

Since you have some experience, can you put a 100A 240V plug on a 200A service? I suspect most of the time, house loads would be much under 100A but adding a single 100A load is a big bump. Let's you charge in douggies theoretical ultra cheap window though so for a high-mileage user that returns home every night, probably the lowest cost per km.

Last edited:
Since you have some experience, can you put a 100A 240V plug on a 200A service? I suspect most of the time, house loads would be much under 100A but adding a single 100A load is a big bump. Let's you charge in douggies theoretical ultra cheap window though so for a high-mileage user that returns home every night, probably the lowest cost per km.

absolutely, in the early days of Tesla, and I believe even the big battery S model today, they all had/have 100amp chargers.

did many of them.

Edit: back to the Lyriq, read a few more articles. now I know why majority show the front and side views mainly. I see the Aztec designers got a say in the rear end design....

Last edited:
This isnt a promising start. Bleeping wanker UI engineers (or marketing but either way someone needs a kick in the nuts).

"For example, opening the glovebox requires a menu selection and then a side screen swipe before you can see the open touch point."

Edit:

@SunnY S already answered, just to add. If doing it by the letter it will come down to the total load calculation, there is a formula based on what is there large appliance wise, AC, Heat and square footage--obviously not based on even the total slash value of all the breakers because it assumes not all branch circuits are fully loaded. I know for mine adding a 100 AMP charger will push me to around 181 amps by the rules (if I add mini-split AC to what I have now--depends on the size as well).... I am currently at 61 amps (no central AC) based on the calaculations (my new service is 100 amp--as was the old one--for various reasons when I pulled the permit), ESA guy asked what my value was but did not ask to see the math.

At the same time from a practical perspective I will not be running everything even they assume "at the same time" so it is unlikely I would even hit that with a charger.

@SunnY S already answered, just to add. If doing it by the letter it will come down to the total load calculation, there is a formula based on what is there large appliance wise, AC, Heat and square footage--obviously not based on even the total slash value of all the breakers because it assumes not all branch circuits are fully loaded. I know for mine adding a 100 AMP charger will push me to around 181 amps by the rules (if I add mini-split AC to what I have now--depends on the size as well).... I am currently at 61 amps (no central AC) based on the calaculations (my new service is 100 amp--as was the old one--for various reasons when I pulled the permit), ESA guy asked what my value was but did not ask to see the math.

At the same time from a practical perspective I will not be running everything even they assume "at the same time" so it is unlikely I would even hit that with a charger.
If douggie does super cheap overnight power, I could see pegging the capacity during that window. Run pool heat pump, hot tub, a/c, vehicle charger and house backup battery charging during that time. Without 100A vehicle charging, I dont think I could reach actual max capacity.

If douggie does super cheap overnight power, I could see pegging the capacity during that window. Run pool heat pump, hot tub, a/c, vehicle charger and house backup battery charging during that time. Without 100A vehicle charging, I dont think I could reach actual max capacity.
If he does I'll set the car to charge during that time. Currently it charges whenever I get home so it's always topped up...but if I can save a few $...why not?

Goodwood record has been broken again. VW ID.R (electric) had the overall record and it was just crushed by the McMurty Speirling (rwd electric with fan downforce). Pretty cool car. 4400 lbs of downforce from the fans. Weight ~2200 lbs. 10' long. ~1000 hp. 0-60 mph <1.5 seconds. 0-186 mph 9.0 seconds. Holy frack. That sounds like fun.

We have a contender for stupid idea of the day. Robot battery to charge your car wherever it is parked. It could be an interesting concept but they skipped the hard part of having the robot plug/unplug itself so it's an expensive extension cord. They talk a lot about its touchscreens but skip any mention of battery capacity or charge rate. It's going to be a stinker.

Now, for the swappable battery proponents, this may be a good start. Ziggy could have a bank of charged batteries (or super caps) and dump into a car quickly using DC then return to base to swap for a charged pack. Packs then have time to cool down and charge slowly. Of course, none of this is in this proposed turd. This reeks of a project to extract government money to create ewaste.

EDIT:
Other sources have it at level 2 charge rate but company refuses to discuss battery capacity. An expensive wank that is doomed for failure. In the time that you took waiting for the robot to arrive, you could have parked in a spot with a level 3 charger and gotten more juice than ziggy was ever going to give you and then relocate to a non-charger parking spot.

We have a contender for stupid idea of the day. Robot battery to charge your car wherever it is parked. It could be an interesting concept but they skipped the hard part of having the robot plug/unplug itself so it's an expensive extension cord. They talk a lot about its touchscreens but skip any mention of battery capacity or charge rate. It's going to be a stinker.

Now, for the swappable battery proponents, this may be a good start. Ziggy could have a bank of charged batteries (or super caps) and dump into a car quickly using DC then return to base to swap for a charged pack. Packs then have time to cool down and charge slowly. Of course, none of this is in this proposed turd. This reeks of a project to extract government money to create ewaste.

EDIT:
Other sources have it at level 2 charge rate but company refuses to discuss battery capacity. An expensive wank that is doomed for failure. In the time that you took waiting for the robot to arrive, you could have parked in a spot with a level 3 charger and gotten more juice than ziggy was ever going to give you and then relocate to a non-charger parking spot.
Portable charger like that MAY work for something like a Volt with a small battery...but doubtful it'll charge a Tesla or something with a much larger capacity battery.

Whenever I see charge rates in public places...it's cheaper for me to just use gas to finish up my trip.

Reactions: LBV
Portable charger like that MAY work for something like a Volt with a small battery...but doubtful it'll charge a Tesla or something with a much larger capacity battery.

Whenever I see charge rates in public places...it's cheaper for me to just use gas to finish up my trip.

They are charging $2.00/hr+ in KW.

For example Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Drive, Cambridge. $5 per hour.

They are charging $2.00/hr+ in KW.

For example Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Drive, Cambridge. $5 per hour.
So my car takes about 3-4hrs at a L2 charger +/- for 90km.

That means I'd have to pay $8/charge in KW or $20/charge in kW....

For $20 I can do about 300km in gas.

thats what makes me chuckle when it comes to this electric car business.

we will get hosed by rising rates just like we get hosed at the pumps. Like eating out, its always cheaper at home.

couple that with long or relatively long charge wait times, and potential lineups (fisticuffs will surely break out)

In my eyes, a quality built well engineered Hybrid (SEE POST 2 of this thread) is the way to go for the foreseeable future. I'm not fully sold on electrics yet (with the exception of having one as a second car for trips to work, and run abouts in the city and such)

Just chiming in with a new adventure.

We just got back a week ago from our first big trip with the new Volt and the camper. We started out with a day in Lake Placid, then down to Boston, then out to the entire length of Cape Cod, and back.

It was excellent, and the car performed awesome. More details after some pics.

1657283835111.png
Some random stop in the mountains of NY I think it was, found a farmers market in the middle of nowhere. Parked out at the end of the rows of cars for glamor shots lol.

1657283957626.png
We boondocked the **** out of this trip, not spending one single night in a boring traditional campground. This was a spot we scored in basically downtown Boston. Found an automated surface lot within 10 minutes of the downtown tourist area, tucked ourselves in at 9PM when we arrived in town, and parked there for the full 23.5 hours we were in town for the $36 twenty four hour rate. It was a nice quiet street and nobody bothered us. Slept and had dinner and breakfast (albeit covertly) with no fanfare. It's so awesome being small and maneuverable, we can get into places we would never have dreamed of with our big 5th wheel.

I have to say, Boston was an AMAZING city. Last time we were there was about 15 years ago and we didn't have time to really explore the city, but it was a most awesome day this time. The city is spotless - it has Toronto all beat to hell honestly. It's people friendly beyond all belief since they burried the interstate. The people were friendly, and you can honestly do 90% of the really neat tourist stuff totally on foot if you want. We walked about 15KM across the entire day, but we had an amazing day and saw so much cool stuff. Did a duck tour in the evening that gave us an additional tour of the city with a narrator that really layed out a lot of the history and neat facts about the city.
Well worth a visit if anyone is looking for a new area to visit.

Cape Cod and Marthas Vinyard were cool. Very upscale in most areas. Cape Cod itself was different than I anticipated, I kinda expected a mix between NF and NB but it was a LOT of beaches interspersed with upscale housing and a few small fishing towns. Marthas Vinyard, yeah, very unique but everything was insanely priced, but worth the day trip.

1657286806882.png
Every beach on Cape Cod had these up. Food for thought lol.

1657286870825.png
"Gingerbread Village" on Marthas Vinyard. One of the most unique little "towns" we've ever seen. Incredible to walk through.

Knocked off some bucket list stuff - saw and visited a lot of the places Jaws was filmed at, went to Woods Hole (if you're a Titanic buff, you'll understand), and touristed the **** out of the whole area while boondocking.

Anyhow, back on topic, the Volt performed amazing.

We covered a total of 2362KM going to the very tip of Cape Cod and back, with some excursions in between via Boston etc. I was pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy figures once I sat down and hand calculated everything this evening from all the notes I’d kept of exact miles travelled and exact fuel used.

We consumed 312L of fuel to cover all those miles, with the trailer behind us for for pretty much every single one of them.

This resulted in an average fuel economy over the entire trip of 12.6L/100KM, or 18.66MPG for those who still lean that way.

Honestly, I’m pretty happy with that considering we were loaded pretty well including carrying 50-60L of freshwater in the trailers tanks a lot of the time for showers and dishes, etc, plus wastewater in the holding tanks. Trailer was probably around 1900 pounds as we travelled.
The Volt proved itself as a great towing platform and didn’t sweat at anything I threw at it, including some pretty good sustained grades in New York. Ran in Hold Mode for the entire trip and tried to keep as much of the original charge from home in the battery for a large buffer. It depleted down slowly during the trip to basically 3 bars of battery by the last stretch, but it was still good.

Then best tank of fuel yielded an incredible 10.09L/100KM across 251KM of driving, achieved on Cape Cod. Flat, reasonably low speeds, and some in-town sightseeing etc - but with the trailer behind us for every single one of those kilometers.

The worst fuel economy of the entire trip was on the last stretch home - the 110KM stretch from the Bridge coming back into Canada to the Tyendinaga area (cheap gas at the reserve), yielding a crappy 18.9L/100KM thanks to a stiff headwind we were blasting straight into. Once that subsided a little it dropped to around 15.

Super happy with the combination. The car pulls the trailer like a freight train (seriously, it's almost like it's not even back there), and the overall fuel economy figures, well, no complaints there either.

Last edited:
So my car takes about 3-4hrs at a L2 charger +/- for 90km.

That means I'd have to pay $8/charge in KW or $20/charge in kW....

For $20 I can do about 300km in gas.

Public charging rarely makes sense for ANY EV in most circumstances unless you really *need* that charge versus just coming home and charging there.

Even more-so on the Volt where it only charges at half the standard L2 speed to begin with.

Even when we had the Ioniq we never charged publicly unless we either *needed* that charge, or it was free...as it is in a surprising number of places if you look around.

Wow that's awesome @PrivatePilot I'm rather impressed with the Volt towing capabilities. Not sure how long I'll keep this one as the itch has started (GTI from BIL at the moment) but overall happy with my Volt....except this stupid turn signal issue.

Weather gets hot (above 23-25C) and the left front turn signal stops working (replaced bulb 2x)
Weather cools down and the light starts working again

I don't want to pay a tech to rip apart the entire car to find an electrical issue...but I may replace the bulb socket as the next step as that could be an issue...not even sure HOW to find the issue and where to start looking for the electrical gremlin.

Back
Top Bottom