Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 319 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

At least my car was warm on my way home from work today. :LOL:

Did gm fix the Bolt issue yet? How long has it been now?

$50,000 minimum deposit in 2017. Still no car, or even signs of production in 2022.

5 years. $50,000 sitting in limbo.

My bet is the semi and cybertruck suffer similar delays and are still vaporware 3 or 4 years from now.

Talked to a buddy this morning walking the dog, he's just back from a conference in Chicago. He's in the truck / bus leasing business and everything in medium / heavy truck short run city delivery , and municipal bus is leaning to E drive. All the major manufactueres are on it, he says it will be eventually mandated into municipal transit .

Talked to a buddy this morning walking the dog, he's just back from a conference in Chicago. He's in the truck / bus leasing business and everything in medium / heavy truck short run city delivery , and municipal bus is leaning to E drive. All the major manufactueres are on it, he says it will be eventually mandated into municipal transit .
That could be a great fit. Low speed, lots of start/stop is ideal for EV. Just need to overcome battery capacity/charging complications.

Apparently someone took a Model S Plaid from 0 to 172 mph in 17.1 seconds. That's impressive. No drama at all in video. Sure it will win a race but without the sound of a screaming ICE it brings me little happiness. That car also had the stupid danger bat wheel too.

Eventually yet. We looked for EV bus charging infrastructure at a new TTC station...insanity how much power would be needed to feed this thing and get it charged in short order.

Bus drops off passengers, goes empty to the charge location, ZZZAAAPPP, and then picks up the next batch. Just need to hope you can make it the entire route without running out of juice before the return trip to the station.

Eventually yet. We looked for EV bus charging infrastructure at a new TTC station...insanity how much power would be needed to feed this thing and get it charged in short order.

Bus drops off passengers, goes empty to the charge location, ZZZAAAPPP, and then picks up the next batch. Just need to hope you can make it the entire route without running out of juice before the return trip to the station.
Busses are a bigger problem than delivery trucks imo. Large fleet, more kwh per day per vehicle required (more km's, more starts), not much off time during operation (ignoring the economics/politics, delivery trucks at loading docks could get charged while loading/unloading).

I saw the bank of what are probably gensets installed at TTC Arrow yard and figured they would be for electric bus charging. Move the ICE engine from the bus to a less visible location and feel the green glow wash over your uber expensive system.

Brampton is already board with EV buses. There's an overhead charge station at Queen (Hwy 7) & Hwy 50 with a few heavy duty boxes behind the sidewalk. I've yet to see a bus connected to the overhead device but it all looks robust.

"The breakthrough battery electric buses with zero tailpipe emissions will be launched on two existing conventional routes in Brampton: routes 23 Sandalwood and 26 Mount Pleasant. The four high-powered (450 kWh) overhead pantograph on-route charging stations will be launched at the Mount Pleasant Village terminal, the Queen Street/Highway 50 Züm station and the Sandalwood Transit Facility.

The eBuses are battery-powered by electricity, with electric motors, no transmission and zero tailpipe emissions, and each bus takes just three to seven minutes to charge fully."

Bear in mind that gensets associated with a charging station may not necessarily be designed for full-time use (they shouldn't be, unless stupidity has intervened ... although I will grant that there is more than enough of that to go around). They may (and should) be there for back-up power in the event that grid power is down so that the EVs can still be kept going ... and that is a really good idea.

Bear in mind that gensets associated with a charging station may not necessarily be designed for full-time use (they shouldn't be, unless stupidity has intervened ... although I will grant that there is more than enough of that to go around). They may (and should) be there for back-up power in the event that grid power is down so that the EVs can still be kept going ... and that is a really good idea.
I've never seen anything close to them. I'm not even sure if they are for EV charging. That was just my suspicion as getting megawatt level connections to the yard may not be viable (and if LBV's article is accurate with a charge taking 3-7 minutes, that is a lot of power required even if you are buffering it into an energy storage bank). If they are just for backup for EV's holy crap that is disgustingly expensive and unnecessary. How often is the power out for very long? How many busses are electric? I suspect they would be just fine without the electric bus fleet for quite a while.

I'll take BS for $1,000, Alex.

I'll take BS for $1,000, Alex.

Oh really.

While potentially actually true (although debatable if you actually look at the data), I think Electrek nails the likely reason:

"While impressive, it is probably more proof that Tesla owners in the FSD Beta program are being careful than the system itself is safe because we have seen plenty of videos where the FSD Beta would have caused an accident if it wasn’t for the driver taking control."

And we know there's been lots of high profile Tesla self driving wrecks in previous years.

I'm reminded of this video from not that long ago - WELL worth the 4 minute watch if you really want to see the real reason there's been no accidents - because the people using it are basically saving their own ***** repeatedly:

And real-world users are probably mostly only using autopilot under circumstances when it functions tolerably (i.e. motorways in good weather), and not using it under conditions when it screws up (bad weather, city traffic, etc).

That biases the results, because the statistics are only covering the low-risk circumstances, and not a lot of the things that real drivers have to cope with every day.

and not a lot of the things that real drivers have to cope with every day.

Agreed. And therefore, it's not actually "Full self driving", since it's been proven it's not even close to being such. (Suggests anyone who didn't watch that video I linked above go back and watch it...what a gong show.)

Going fast in a Tesla gets old fast no engine noise :(.

Ford wanna make A hybrid ICE Mustang with like 800 hp?

Back
Top Bottom