Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 227 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

love him or hate him, but the guy is killing it...

Isn't that almost entirely paper? Sure, he is worth a fortune but last I heard almost everything is tied up in one asset. It is sort of liquid, but actually freeing a significant portion of his money would affect the stock price. Until your money is diversified, you can go from hero to zero in a day (for instance if US gov decides to crush Tesla for their auto-pilot death machines).

Roofs 2 - Tesla 0

So, I've spent some more time thinking and doing a lot of reading and I think I'm going to buy the (stupid expensive) hitch for my Volt and use it for towing the camper again next spring for our redux trip to Gaspe. And probably keep the Volt for a few more years as a result.

I found a few other people who were towing in the 2000# range and said the car did awesome.

A few people have done the usual "But the car will get thrown around by the trailer!" song and dance (because apparently some people think you need a 1 ton dually to pull a utility trailer anymore) but I've reminded them that the Volt weighs almost 4000 pounds. So a 1900# trailer isn't even 50% of the weight of the car, before the weight of the passengers and stuff in the back.

For comparison, a 2020 Silverado single cab only weighs 1000# more, has a higher centre of gravity (less stable), has only 80 more HP (Assuming the Chevy comes with the typical grocery getter engine) and only ~70 more ft/lb of torque, again, assuming the 4.3L engine.

Yet anyone on the face of the planet would see a little 1500# (empty, 1900-2000# loaded) trailer behind a Chevy half ton and think nothing of it. "Perfect tow vehicle!" many would exclaim.

But when you start putting the numbers side by side however, suddenly the reality of exactly how decent a tow vehicle the Volt actually is become evident.

Certainly they are. Still not interested in buying one ... or their stock ... or shorting it.

Very thorough (and long) review of a VW ID.4 prototype.

Short version: very good hardware, infotainment has plenty of glitches to sort out. I'm not a fan of capacitive-touch "buttons", either, but then again ... Tesla makes you use the touchscreen for everything, which is even worse.

Very thorough (and long) review of a VW ID.4 prototype.

Short version: very good hardware, infotainment has plenty of glitches to sort out. I'm not a fan of capacitive-touch "buttons", either, but then again ... Tesla makes you use the touchscreen for everything, which is even worse.
agreed. Even though i do actually like the Tesla UI, burying everything in the screen is annoying but i can appreciate cleaning up the dash.

If that screen actually goes down you`re screwed!

agreed. Even though i do actually like the Tesla UI, burying everything in the screen is annoying but i can appreciate cleaning up the dash.

If that screen actually goes down you`re screwed!
Tesla couldn't realistically do it any other way. Now that they have moved cars to the software model of ship it now and fix it tomorrow, physical buttons would cause them issues.

Tesla couldn't realistically do it any other way. Now that they have moved cars to the software model of ship it now and fix it tomorrow, physical buttons would cause them issues.
at this point it's probably better, their supply chain is still a gong show.

This happened to be a tesla, but a similar crash could happen with many of the competitors as well. What is insurance going to look like once insurance companies start to pay bills for environmental contamination and cleanup of hundreds of square meters? An ICE car crash can obviously have a fuel spill but rarely tosses flammable parts into nearby residences.

This happened to be a tesla, but a similar crash could happen with many of the competitors as well. What is insurance going to look like once insurance companies start to pay bills for environmental contamination and cleanup of hundreds of square meters? An ICE car crash can obviously have a fuel spill but rarely tosses flammable parts into nearby residences.

what you save on fuel you'll repay in insurance? Yikes!

what you save on fuel you'll repay in insurance? Yikes!
You'll have to do a LOT of driving to make up that difference. Once insurance finds a hook, they will take every single inch to ensure they get theirs. And cleaning up a mess like that isn't cheap. Not to mention the fires caused in people's homes where the flaming Molotov cocktails land.

Don't compare the way Tesla builds stuff to the way anyone else builds stuff ... just don't.
I am not sure build quality is a major factor if the moron driver hits a pole at 100 mph. Any battery pack can only deal with a limited amount of energy before popping open.

I want one but I don't have a reliable charging station ...

Telsa build quality also scares me

My buddy just got the Y and is super happy with it and loves it. However....he’s got about 5 items which passed QC (can’t remember what) and passes it off as no big deal.
Personally....I’m paying 70k for a car I want that thing perfect. But I notice Tesla owners are very tolerant compared to other luxury car owners.

Back
Top Bottom